Best table tennis robot - Amicus prime or Power pong 5000

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
These two are priced exactly the same in the US. Which is a better one? Anybody has any experience with these? Any known issues? I read that amicus app isn't that great (not sure if that has improved now). Which one would you recommend?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 2 reviews
These two are priced exactly the same in the US. Which is a better one? Anybody has any experience with these? Any known issues? I read that amicus app isn't that great (not sure if that has improved now). Which one would you recommend?
amicus robot with the app has issues .like the donic newgy one . l have not used it .. but l would recommend the amicus expert which l use , it has buttons same functions as the prime but has only 99 programmes 78 that you can set yourself [ only advantage of the prime it has no limit to drills you can set ! ] 78 is enough once l have used all of them l will refine and alter them . its easy to set drills where the app needs tons of sliding and tapping to set own drills. . . the expert is £300 uk price cheaper don't know the power pong ,,,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
amicus robot with the app has issues .like the donic newgy one . l have not used it .. but l would recommend the amicus expert which l use , it has buttons same functions as the prime but has only 99 programmes 78 that you can set yourself [ only advantage of the prime it has no limit to drills you can set ! ] 78 is enough once l have used all of them l will refine and alter them . its easy to set drills where the app needs tons of sliding and tapping to set own drills. . . the expert is £300 uk price cheaper don't know the power pong ,,,

There are some issues with the app, but the support team is pretty good with answer question, and there are some recent update (I haven't loaded it yet though) that hopefully solves some issue. I think the difference between export/prime is actually larger than you think, the lcd screen with app is just so much easier to use than all the switches and nobs on export version.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
Thanks guys. I read that Power pong robot is essentially the same as amicus since they are both manufactured in the same factory. Also power pong has manual control knobs (instead of a tablet) and have a smart app as well. Anybody used power pong 5000?

This user has no status.
Amicus prime.

I have had the amicus prime for a year now and it is superb. If you can afford it, buy it.

The app is slightly glitchy, but perfectly useable. The best reason to have the app is that they update it with new features.

For example they now have a serve mode that hears when you serve and starts a third ball sequence for you. Brilliant.

Robots can't teach you match play against a human, but the amicus does everything I could think of a robot being able to do.

In these COVID times it has been a god send to keep fit and active, as well as improve some of my shots and footwork.

Reactions: yinyang0024
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
That's quite reassuring. Did you look into Power pong 5000 as well when you bought yours?

I have had the amicus prime for a year now and it is superb. If you can afford it, buy it.

The app is slightly glitchy, but perfectly useable. The best reason to have the app is that they update it with new features.

For example they now have a serve mode that hears when you serve and starts a third ball sequence for you. Brilliant.

Robots can't teach you match play against a human, but the amicus does everything I could think of a robot being able to do.

In these COVID times it has been a god send to keep fit and active, as well as improve some of my shots and footwork.

This user has no status.
That's quite reassuring. Did you look into Power pong 5000 as well when you bought yours?

I didn't look at any other brands of robot, I only looked at which version of the Butterfly I wanted to get. Butterfly is a pretty big brand and I did trust in that to some extent.

I went for the software of the prime as I think it is the way of the future. Whilst the hardware remains the same, in the past year there have been a number of updates of the software which have introduced new functions that make training even better. The app is pretty easy and my 8 and 10 year old kids took seconds to figure out how it works, which I don't think would have been possible with the hardware control panel.

The tablet that comes with the Amicus is not high end I suspect to keep costs down. However after a year I only ever use my phone which connects and works great.

Looking at the photo's of the heads of the Amicus and Power Pong 5000 they looks identical. Did someone say earlier that they were maunfacturered by the same company?

Saying all that I have not used the power pong 5000, so I cannot give a like for like comparison. I suspect both are really good and perhaps the main difference is in the software?

One last comment is that though the Amicus (and the power pong) is expensive I have used and enjoyed it so much that even after just a year I have definitely had value for money. Buying the best also means that if it can't do something then no other robot can either.

Reactions: yinyang0024
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
Thanks John. Really appreciate it. I am gonna go ahead and order Amicus Prime. Can't wait.

I didn't look at any other brands of robot, I only looked at which version of the Butterfly I wanted to get. Butterfly is a pretty big brand and I did trust in that to some extent.

I went for the software of the prime as I think it is the way of the future. Whilst the hardware remains the same, in the past year there have been a number of updates of the software which have introduced new functions that make training even better. The app is pretty easy and my 8 and 10 year old kids took seconds to figure out how it works, which I don't think would have been possible with the hardware control panel.

The tablet that comes with the Amicus is not high end I suspect to keep costs down. However after a year I only ever use my phone which connects and works great.

Looking at the photo's of the heads of the Amicus and Power Pong 5000 they looks identical. Did someone say earlier that they were maunfacturered by the same company?

Saying all that I have not used the power pong 5000, so I cannot give a like for like comparison. I suspect both are really good and perhaps the main difference is in the software?

One last comment is that though the Amicus (and the power pong) is expensive I have used and enjoyed it so much that even after just a year I have definitely had value for money. Buying the best also means that if it can't do something then no other robot can either.

This user has no status.
I am excited for you. I am in Australia and it took a couple of weeks for the Amicus to be flown in from Europe so I hope yours comes earlier.

To build the excitment, you can download the app from the play store if you have an android phone. Check out the features, the videos of the pre-programmed training exercises and program in your favourite drills.

Have fun.

John.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
Looks like its backordered here in the US at the moment. Would have to wait a month I guess. Gonna look at power pong 5000 in the meantime. It has an app as well. App looks slick, no reviews but
I am excited for you. I am in Australia and it took a couple of weeks for the Amicus to be flown in from Europe so I hope yours comes earlier.

To build the excitment, you can download the app from the play store if you have an android phone. Check out the features, the videos of the pre-programmed training exercises and program in your favourite drills.

Have fun.

John.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020

Have fun.

John.

Hi John, I'm based in Melbourne and looking to order Amicus. It seems really hard to find a retailer locally. Would you mind sharing which website you purchased robot from? Many thanks.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020

Have fun.

John.

Hi John, I'm based in Melbourne and looking to order Amicus. It seems really hard to find a retailer locally. Would you mind sharing which website you purchased robot from? Many thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Can the throw wheels spin backwards? This is important because most of the robots do not allow the throw wheels to counter rotate. Obviously it is bad if all the throw wheels counter rotate at the same time.

HOWEVER

If you want to simulate a real loop the top throw wheel must rotate in the normal direction fast while the bottom throw wheel rotates backwards. This causes a high spin to speed ratio. Obviously the top head can be made to spin backwards while the bottom head spin in the normal way to create have back spin serves or chops.

I have a newgy 2050 and it is OK for exercise but I would not recommend one for the serious TT players because there is only one throw wheel and a friction pad which means the spin to speed ratio is fixed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
You can control it to do pretty much any kind of spin combination, and the degree of spin is far higher than pretty much any human player that I have ever faced. For example, the backspin it can produce will almost completely stop the ball from moving forward on the first bounce on your side of the table for a simulated short serve. And if you program a backspin long serve, the ball will retreat back to the other side of the table quickly after it hits the ground.

This user has no status.
Check Joola infinity. They are on the edge of campaign production. For the 500$ hard to get better deal. You will have to wait till February to receive it.

Thanks it does look good and, according to the advertising information, it looks equivalent in functionality to the Amicus and Power Pong.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Thanks it does look good and, according to the advertising information, it looks equivalent in functionality to the Amicus and Power Pong.

The price is just pre production discount though. Later it is going to be 1000$. I snacked it for 550$ though and waiting calmly.

Reactions: Basmundo