DHS Long V and Ovtcharov/Original No.1 structure comparison

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I've heard couple of street legends about who really produces Donic Original/Ovtcharov No.1. I don't want to make any suggestions or spread any misinformation so I will prevent myself from sharing my conclusion. I just want to share every information I gathered so far. I don't own an Long V at the moment and here fellow user BryanY did help me by measuring his blade. He did not measure the weight though because he had rubbers on it, although that data is present on the internet plentifully.

1. Physical properties
First will be result for Donic, second one for DHS

Head length: 160mm vs 160mm
Head width: 150mm vs 150mm
Weight: 85g vs ??
Frequency: 1378Hz vs ??
Blade thickness: 5.9mm vs 5.8-5.9mm
Handle length: 101mm vs 101mm
Width handle bottom: 35mm vs 35mm
Thickness handle bottom: 25mm vs 27mm
Width handle top: 22.5mm vs 23mm
Thickness handle top: 25mm vs 27 mm

Also specific to senso version, radius of the circle measured from the inner part of the blade with donic print to inner part of outer wall is 5mm. Depth of senso cutout is 81mm.

?? - this values BryanY could not measure since his bat was glued. Frequency averages close to 1400 (1378-1400) and blade Long V usually weighs about 87-90g (data from frequency data sheet found on ooak).

I measured mine Donic Ovtcharov No.1 Senso with calipers, I don't know what BryanY did use to measure his.

2. Layers thicknesses and composite structure
In Gimp I put closeups next to eachother. I scaled the images so the thicknesses match (as we measured they are almost exactly the same). I kept aspect ratio to not mess up handle size bottom comparison.
long ovtcharov.jpg

The weave is very particular also the carbon (black part) seems to be very flat.

My thoughts are that I don't recall having in my hands other that well put together blade from Donic. The most expensive blade I played with (borrowed) blade from Donic was Ovtcharov True Carbon.

Unedited pictures:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vf7D7YyYUtr1amHR1myqpPckt47x8q-V?usp=sharing

Edit:
Ad 1. Donic states that the composition is Ayous - Limba Premium Acryl Carbon - Ayous - Premium Acryl Carbon - Limba - Ayous (https://www.donic.com/donic/en/blades/3484/donic-original-no.-1-senso), which I call bullpoop. I believe that it is Limba top ply. It looks almost identical top to my Innerforce Layer ALC.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
It’s no new information that the Ovtcharov No 1 is made by DHS. Dima also played the DHS W968 (same composition as Long V) and got the blades from Ma Long, there’s even a video where Ma Long gave him two blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
It’s no new information that the Ovtcharov No 1 is made by DHS. Dima also played the DHS W968 (same composition as Long V) and got the blades from Ma Long, there’s even a video where Ma Long gave him two blades.

The video seems to be taken down. I've read about this. That is what I meant by street legends in the first sentence of the first post. Whether No.1 is made by DHS I cannot confirm, I have no means to do so. But these two blades do seem to be extremely similar. I wouldn't be surprised if they left from the same factory.