Who do you think will win the Rio Olympics 2016?

• Ma Long

Votes: 106 67.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 34 21.5%
  • Dimitirj Ovtcharov

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Jeoung Youngsik

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
I got the predictions reversed. It was 4-2 and 4-1. Mac predicst 4-3 for ZJK. I hope it remains the same :)

I hope Samsonov gets the Bronze. The Tai Chi Master has lived and breathed Table Tennis for 35 years. He completely deserves one. I wish Mizutani gets that back at 2020.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
yes, you're right, we don't blame him for his ignorance, it's rather expressing a concern about BBC, can't they really find a decent commentator? How about asking a pro player? A former pro player? It doesn't take that much of intelligence, does it? To learn from tennis, for instance, or soccer...

What do you expect??
I mean - on our TV online live stream they switched in the middle of 5th set of ZJK vs. Vladi to BOXing ..
Thats how much they actually care for table tennis..

Last edited:
Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Just registered to root for ZJK!!

He proved his haters wrong and now he has the opportunity to defeat Ma Long and solidify himself as the GOAT.

LGL made the right choice - FZD is still young and has 2+ more olympics in him. ZJK is more reliable in high-pressure situations than Xu Xin.

Reactions: Siva Schopenhauer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
What do you expect??
I mean - on our TV online live stream they switched in the middle of 5th set of ZJK vs. Vladi to BOXing ..
Thats how much they actually care for table tennis..

yeap my point exactly, TT in western culture is still very small, even when sweden was storming through, only EUROSPORT showed SOME matches. The coverage today is much much better, and step by step if more people like adam bobrow are getting involved hope we will see better commentators/coverage.

The fact that ITTF was practically forced by thousands of youtube comments to hire ttlondon2012 and ttcountenance for their videos (because they were soooo good) , shows how pathetic unorganized and without vision its members are. No creative work after all about the coverage, just exploit the existing youtubers and I highly doubt they money they take is fair for their huge effort

Reactions: eyepop and Michal_Z
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I didn't understand, you meant half of his potential?

Yeah. I don't think he has played for keeps yet. But this is how I think things stack up. If ZJK is on, the only player who has a chance to win is ML and if ML is on, the only player who has a chance to win is ZJK.

And ZJK will have to play better than he has so far to take on ML and have a chance.

But, truthfully, because of all I've said about ZJK not showing what he has and ML always leaving his heart on the court, I hope Ma Long can win.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
yeap my point exactly, TT in western culture is still very small, even when sweden was storming through, only EUROSPORT showed SOME matches. The coverage today is much much better, and step by step if more people like adam bobrow are getting involved hope we will see better commentators/coverage.

The fact that ITTF was practically forced by thousands of youtube comments to hire ttlondon2012 and ttcountenance for their videos (because they were soooo good) , shows how pathetic unorganized and without vision its members are. No creative work after all about the coverage, just exploit the existing youtubers and I highly doubt they money they take is fair for their huge effort

A big thanks to these guys who really make a difference.

"ttlondon2012 and ttcountenance"

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Rio Olympics 2016

20:30 is the bronze medal match and 21:30 the final in rio time guys. just double checked it to be sure.

Brazil is 4 hours behind GMT +00 (UK TIME) for those who are watching from europe and want to conver the time

My link from the Olympics says 20:30 for Final and 19:30 for Bronze match. But perhaps they have given NY local time. Idk.

And I think that must be it. Because I just checked and Rio time is one hour off so 20:30 NY time is 21:30 Rio time.

Last edited:
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Malong is stronger technically, on his 'A' game. BUT - and here is the thing - Zhang Jike is stronger, clearly, mentally. Even though Ma has got better mentally, there is something about ZJK that he cant cope with. Basically, Zjang does his Jedi mind tricks on Ma and ties him up on the REALLY BIG stage. So my prediction - Ma will probably be frozen out again.

Last edited:
Reactions: redonix76
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
If there's one thing you can say for certain about ZJK, is that he shows up when it matters. Ma Long needs to bring his A-game.

This user has no status.
reference: http://www.tischtennis.de/aktuelles/meldung/18596

Richard Prause summs up the performace of the german team in the olympic singles competition

Prause: "We are going to tear ourselfs apart in the team competition"

Rio de Janeiro. Training and a bit of distraction were announced on day one after the quarter-final knock out of Dimitrij Ovtcharov and Han Ying in the German camp . The focus is now on the team competition, which starts on Friday. DTTB-Sports Director Richard Prause looks back again at the singles event , but is already laying the groundwork for Team tournament ". We will give everything to be successful"

We focus on the future now. Once it became clear that Germany remains without a singles medal in Rio, on Wednesday there was a mix of analysis, training, distraction and focus on the next competition with the teams.

Ovtcharov and Boll in basketball

After the bitter quarter-final knock out against Vladimir Samsonov Dimitrij Ovtcharov had already announced to relax and have a table tennis free day, while the rest of the team Timo Boll, Bastian Steger and Patrick Franziska trained in Riocentro 3 .In the evening Ovtcharov and Boll, both US sports followers and basketball fans, took the opportunity to divert a little and watch the basketball match between the US and Australia.

The DTTB ladies watched the bronze medal and the singles final between Ding Ning and Li Xiaoxia (4: 3) after thier practice. The singles competition was in the coaching staff only conditionally subject. "We summerized where we could have done better, but primarily we focus on the future," says DTTB Sports Director Richard Prause. Now it is necessary to take a breathe and to focus on the Team Event. "We need to pull ourselfs together to be successful."

The men with the quarterfinal opponent Taiwan on Saturday (15 pm local time) is a hard nut to crack in front of them, the ladies play on Friday at 15 o'clock local time against the underdogs USA. On Thursday afternoon the team of national coach Jie Schöpp gets the opportunity to train in the main hall, the men complete their session in the afternoon.

DTTB-Sports Director Richard Prause about the singles competiton and the performance of the DTTB Starters:

"Our goal was a medal in the singles competition and so we are disappointed accordingly, that it did not work out. We will shake us twice now and we want to return to fight in the Team Event for every little bit of luck that was missing in the singles. The focus is now on the team, and we will pull ourselfs together, to be successful. "

Dimitrij Ovtcharov:
"Dimitrij made it to the quarterfinals because of his fighting spirit. I remember the match against Li Ping, which was touch and go whatever. There were phases were he played well here, but still lots oft ups and downs. Against Vladimir Samsonov, he did not take the opportunities at the key moments, as for example in London were he succeeded against Michael Maze or Chuang Chih-yuan. He got punished for this. "

Timo Boll:
"We would have liked to see Timo in the quarterfinals against Ma Long, even if this game would have been a difficult task. Against an unorthodox playing Aruna it took until the fourth set until Timo had figured out his tactics . He lost the first two sets with 10:12. The game might have gone differently if he had won one of these first sets. So he was 0:3 down, has indeed again fought back, but it simply took too long to find a rythem against a very good playing Aruna ".

Han Ying:
"Han Ying played a good tournament , unfortunately she was in the draw one of the two Chinese women in the quarterfinals. Otherwise it was a really good performance. Against the Olympic and world champion Ding Ning she tried everything, but the Chinese women are reallyhard to beat with defense, and Ding Ning improved because of the expirience of the last two duels with Ying. "

Petrissa Solja
"Peti had really hard draw with the North Korean defender Ri Myong Sun. The two North Koreans are among the world's top defenders, as evidenced by the third place of Kim. Peti has undoubtedly improved her play against Defence, but it wasn t enough. She will continue to work on that. "

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Malong is stronger technically, on his 'A' game. BUT - and here is the thing - Zhang Jike is stronger, clearly, mentally. Even though Ma has got better mentally, there is something about ZJK that he cant cope with. Basically, Zjang does his Jedi mind tricks on Ma and ties him up on the REALLY BIG stage. So my prediction - Ma will probably be frozen out again.

I am afraid that this will happen, but I am hoping for clash of the titans!
I am hoping for a thrilling amazing beautiful final, that will keep us on edge od our seets, breathtaking magic showdown!
I hope to stay staring at the screen, claping alone in the room at 3 AM like a fool :)

Reactions: Cornel
This user has no status.
My faltmates are gooing to be mad at me when I go super ****ing crazy when Ma Long wins the compition at 2-3 am :D
I warned them but I still feel sorry.
I leave no doubt in my mind that Ma Long is gooing to win.
So I will be sitting in front of my Computer in full Genkidama mode and send Ma Long every tiny little bit of positiv energy possible!!!

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
reference: http://www.tischtennis.de/aktuelles/meldung/18596

Richard Prause summs up the performace of the german team in the olympic singles competition

Prause: "We are going to tear ourselfs apart in the team competition"

Rio de Janeiro. Training and a bit of distraction were announced on day one after the quarter-final knock out of Dimitrij Ovtcharov and Han Ying in the German camp . The focus is now on the team competition, which starts on Friday. DTTB-Sports Director Richard Prause looks back again at the singles event , but is already laying the groundwork for Team tournament ". We will give everything to be successful"

We focus on the future now. Once it became clear that Germany remains without a singles medal in Rio, on Wednesday there was a mix of analysis, training, distraction and focus on the next competition with the teams.

Ovtcharov and Boll in basketball

After the bitter quarter-final knock out against Vladimir Samsonov Dimitrij Ovtcharov had already announced to relax and have a table tennis free day, while the rest of the team Timo Boll, Bastian Steger and Patrick Franziska trained in Riocentro 3 .In the evening Ovtcharov and Boll, both US sports followers and basketball fans, took the opportunity to divert a little and watch the basketball match between the US and Australia.

The DTTB ladies watched the bronze medal and the singles final between Ding Ning and Li Xiaoxia (4: 3) after thier practice. The singles competition was in the coaching staff only conditionally subject. "We summerized where we could have done better, but primarily we focus on the future," says DTTB Sports Director Richard Prause. Now it is necessary to take a breathe and to focus on the Team Event. "We need to pull ourselfs together to be successful."

The men with the quarterfinal opponent Taiwan on Saturday (15 pm local time) is a hard nut to crack in front of them, the ladies play on Friday at 15 o'clock local time against the underdogs USA. On Thursday afternoon the team of national coach Jie Schöpp gets the opportunity to train in the main hall, the men complete their session in the afternoon.

DTTB-Sports Director Richard Prause about the singles competiton and the performance of the DTTB Starters:

"Our goal was a medal in the singles competition and so we are disappointed accordingly, that it did not work out. We will shake us twice now and we want to return to fight in the Team Event for every little bit of luck that was missing in the singles. The focus is now on the team, and we will pull ourselfs together, to be successful. "

Dimitrij Ovtcharov:
"Dimitrij made it to the quarterfinals because of his fighting spirit. I remember the match against Li Ping, which was touch and go whatever. There were phases were he played well here, but still lots oft ups and downs. Against Vladimir Samsonov, he did not take the opportunities at the key moments, as for example in London were he succeeded against Michael Maze or Chuang Chih-yuan. He got punished for this. "

Timo Boll:
"We would have liked to see Timo in the quarterfinals against Ma Long, even if this game would have been a difficult task. Against an unorthodox playing Aruna it took until the fourth set until Timo had figured out his tactics . He lost the first two sets with 10:12. The game might have gone differently if he had won one of these first sets. So he was 0:3 down, has indeed again fought back, but it simply took too long to find a rythem against a very good playing Aruna ".

Han Ying:
"Han Ying played a good tournament , unfortunately she was in the draw one of the two Chinese women in the quarterfinals. Otherwise it was a really good performance. Against the Olympic and world champion Ding Ning she tried everything, but the Chinese women are reallyhard to beat with defense, and Ding Ning improved because of the expirience of the last two duels with Ying. "

Petrissa Solja
"Peti had really hard draw with the North Korean defender Ri Myong Sun. The two North Koreans are among the world's top defenders, as evidenced by the third place of Kim. Peti has undoubtedly improved her play against Defence, but it wasn t enough. She will continue to work on that. "

thanks a lot for translating! this is gold :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The real question is: Is Ma Long's short game good enough now to handle ZJK's over the table magic.

By the way, his short game has gotten leagues better since 2013 when Wang Hao used the short game to break Ma Long down. So I hope he is no longer vulnerable to that short game mysticism.

Reactions: TTFrenzy
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
come on guys , the forum is awefully quiet . I thought now that we have the summit clash we have been expecting for the last 8 years, Ma Long and Zhang Jike fans would line up one last time and have a go at each other before this argument is settled for good ...

Hahaha.

1) I know Ma Long is going to do it. I don't have a doubt. Now everyone will know that he is really the better player.

2) Zhang Jike is gonna make Ma Long cry like a little girl!

3) No way! ML is gonna make ZJK cry this time.

4) ZJK all the way. ML can't handle the pressure.

5) ML too good for ZJK.

6) ZJK too good for ML.

Hahaha.