Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
This is really interesting and informative. A company called Kinsa makes digital smart thermometers that report results to a central database. From this they can tell where in the US people are spiking fevers, regardless of the cause. At the moment, though, Covid-19 is partly driving this, at least based on historical comparisons to previous years. Another really interesting thing they find is what happens to the incidence of fevers as soon as cities or counties institute stay-at-home orders. They are also showing graphs that show how quickly things get back to normal. The do state that "Due to widespread social distancing, school closures, stay-at-home orders, etc. feverish illness levels are dropping in many regions. This does not mean that COVID-19 cases are declining. In fact, we expect to see reported cases continue to surge in the near term, but it may indicate these measures are starting to slow the spread. See CDC COVID-19 Cases in U.S. for details."

This is an amazing no tool for disease surveillance.

https://healthweather.us/

Meanwhile, the U.S. now has more active cases of COVID-19 than Italy and China combined.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...487ba2-6ad0-11ea-9923-57073adce27c_story.html
Still more deaths are not being counted at all, such as those who were misdiagnosed with the flu or another illness and those who died but were never tested, highlighting another key gap in mortality information.

One epidemiologist who left New York state’s health department late last year said former colleagues have reached out to him recently, desperate to develop tools that would make it easier to track the disease as it spreads and kills.

“They not only lacked the ability to perform any type of modeling, forecasting or time series but could not even provide or perform basic epidemiologic analysis due to lack of access to data,” the epidemiologist said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to candidly discuss operations within his field.

Jan 2018
america-first-720.jpg

After Prince Charles, Johnson has also tested positive.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Meanwhile two places with exploding case rates are Florida and especially New Orleans. Mardi Gras and Spring Break is bringing the virus to a place near you. It goes where the people go. To and fro. We are really screwed unless we take drastic action.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
DOEs Oak Ridge National Lab recently published an interesting paper on ChemRxiv. They used the fastest supercomputer Summit (at a whopping 0.2 exaflops!) to perform simulations of >8000 drug compounds interacting with the spike protein receptor binding site. 77 of them are identified as potential candidates and among the top ranked is quercetin, contained in natural product capers.

“Repurposing Therapeutics for COVID-19: Supercomputer-Based Docking to the SARS-CoV-2 Viral Spike Protein and Viral Spike Protein-Human ACE2 Interface. “

https://chemrxiv.org/articles/Repur...S_Protein_and_Human_ACE2_Interface/11871402/3

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Responsibility for the virus is not the issue.

Responsibility for dealing with it (or the lack of such) is. Responsibility for dismantling the response capability prior to the crisis is. Responsibility for spreading lies, for actively putting obstacles in the way of those dealing with it is.

In all countries, leadership bears full responsibility for the relative havoc they let the virus cause, regardless of its cause or origin. Failure to act decisively, appropriately and timely and failing to prioritize for full support for preventive measures and for the front liners dealing with the sick, the dying and the dead in times like this is crimininal negligence.

Note that this requires respect for factuality itself, for actual expertise rather than gut instincts snd wishful thinking, and putting the collective interest center, front, and first.

And this must be called out when and while it happens. Complacency itself is almost as bad.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
DOEs Oak Ridge National Lab recently published an interesting paper on ChemRxiv. They used the fastest supercomputer Summit (at a whopping 0.2 exaflops!) to perform simulations of >8000 drug compounds interacting with the spike protein receptor binding site. 77 of them are identified as potential candidates and among the top ranked is quercetin, contained in natural product capers.

“Repurposing Therapeutics for COVID-19: Supercomputer-Based Docking to the SARS-CoV-2 Viral Spike Protein and Viral Spike Protein-Human ACE2 Interface. “

https://chemrxiv.org/articles/Repur...S_Protein_and_Human_ACE2_Interface/11871402/3

An interesting thing about this is that quercetin was identified in about a dozen earlier studies as having activity against earlier coronaviruses. One thing about quercetin is that it is not just one thing. It comes with different sugar moieties depending on what plant you extract it from, and this in turn affects how it behaves in humans. The issue is partly the pharmacokinetics of these things. Some quercetin forms enter something called the enterohepatic circulation which makes it pretty hard to get the blood concentrations as high as you would need. The good thing is that it is (or used to be) easy to get (who knows now).

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/138/9/1615/4750827

With that said, this same kind of computational approach done in various places is suggesting many interesting lead compounds. But quercetin is especially intriguing because there is already an infrastructure in the world to obtain and purify it and it already has a safety profile. (But maybe not in the doses that would be needed, but we well see soon enough).

Reactions: Free bird
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The virus started in Wuhan, China. We should never forget that. I do not like to blame but I find it strange that some folks are trying to shift the blame to Trump. We know who Trump is and also what the CCP is. Enough said.

Tropical, I know where you are coming from because you have told us a bit about your personal history. For sure you have pretty good reason to despise communist governments!!!!! Living in Houston as I do, one of the few good things that came out of the Vietnam war was the immigrants who moved here from Vietnam and made this city a lot better place to live.

One big fact is that we live in the US. Chinese scientists proved that this was a novel virus and published it on January 7 and epidemiologists around the world saw it at once and knew immediately that this was a virus never before seen in humans which means none of us have any acquired immunity. And we have seen before what novel coronaviruses can do.

At once a response should have been set up. If this had happened in, say, 2014, the response would have been immediate, and it would have ensured testing and protective gear were ramped up, and a bunch of other stuff that would take too much time to go into. They had contingency plans.

None of this happened in 2019-2020 because (a) the ability to respond was no longer in place and (b) the people making the decisions were convinced that by simply proclaiming that they had it under control it would actually BE under control. Why? Because Donald Trump commanded it, and his minions listened and obeyed. Why were the response teams dismantled earlier? Because it was something that the Obama administration had put in place, partly as a result of planning by DHS. In the minds of the Trump people that was sufficient reason to kill it.

Even now, Trump could make it easier to deal with equipment shortages of all sorts by using an existing law, which allows companies to start making things and getting a special deal for doing it. Which if I was president I would have done a long time ago because THIS IS A WAR, and when Japan bombs Pearl Harbor you don't quibble too much about the deals you make with Ford or GM to make parts for tanks and ships. Even now, Trump is ignoring the advice of scientists and listening to his idiot son-in-law, who is one of his chief advisors. He is not to blame for SARS-CoV-2 jumping into humans, but he is to blame for what the US has NOT been doing as soon as it became clear that this was a problem. He is to blame for lying about this on a pretty much daily basis.

Of course, it's not just Trump. There are other people who will have blood on their hands, like the governors of Florida and especially Mississippi, and people on Fox News like Sean Hannity who continue to spread misinformation -- and they know it is misinformation, and people like Mitch McConnell and Richard Burr and Kelly Loefler, Louie Gohmert and bunch of other people I could name.

This was always going to be bad, but it didn't need to be this bad.

Edit added. He finally invoked the Defense Production Act to have GM make ventilators, today. He could have done this 9 days ago.

Another edit. "We have only 15 cases of Covid-19. We will reach zero in a couple of days" - Donald Trump

Another edit. That is just for ventilators and it is just one company. Nothing yet from the government to enhance production of masks and other protective equipment.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
An interesting thing about this is that quercetin was identified in about a dozen earlier studies as having activity against earlier coronaviruses. One thing about quercetin is that it is not just one thing. It comes with different sugar moieties depending on what plant you extract it from, and this in turn affects how it behaves in humans. The issue is partly the pharmacokinetics of these things. Some quercetin forms enter something called the enterohepatic circulation which makes it pretty hard to get the blood concentrations as high as you would need. The good thing is that it is (or used to be) easy to get (who knows now).

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/138/9/1615/4750827

With that said, this same kind of computational approach done in various places is suggesting many interesting lead compounds. But quercetin is especially intriguing because there is already an infrastructure in the world to obtain and purify it and it already has a safety profile. (But maybe not in the doses that would be needed, but we well see soon enough).

Agree with you on that it’s hard to establish an appropriate concentration of Quercetin in blood for the computational results. Quercetin content in capers is about 200mg/100g. I may want to try 100g a day if I’m desperate;)

Jan 2018
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/heal...navirus-german-embassy-criticises-japans-case
“The official infection rate in Japan cannot be believed. Due to the low rate of testing, it is likely that there is a high number of cases that have not been reported,” the embassy warned in a statement published on its website this week addressed to German nationals in Japan.
“I don’t believe a word of what they have told us,” said Eric Fior, the French owner of a language school in Tokyo. “The government has been telling the world that Japanese are ‘special’ and that they won’t get the disease because they wash their hands a lot and wear masks, but all of a sudden the Olympics are delayed and the number goes up.

“The government here has been saying how much better Japan has handled the outbreak in comparison with China and South Korea, but I think that’s just a pride thing. For me, their most important consideration was that the Olympics [go] ahead as scheduled or, when it was clear that could not happen, that they be postponed instead of cancelled.”

https://japan.diplo.de/ja-de/aktuelles/-/2327752
http://www.japansubculture.com/germ...is-lying-expect-a-surge-of-coronavirus-cases/
https://japantoday.com/category/nat...ar-now-sees-national-crisis-after-Tokyo-surge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.