Ai Fukuhara Is Crowned Champion Of 2013 Japan Open!

Ai Fukuhara was crowned champion of the Women’s singles event on Sunday 23rd June at the 2013 Japan Open ITTF World Tour in Yokohama, the young Japanese player shone on home soil appearing to be on top of her game.

aifukuharajapanwin.jpg

Ai Fukuhara - Photo by: ITTF Facebook Page

IT has been recognised that Ai Fukuhara will indeed actually be the only seeded player to win a gold medal at the tournament with only unseeded players managing to collect the other titles. The talented player who is a very popular icon in her home country of Japan managed to become champion after putting in a solid and fantastic performance to overcome Korea’s Moon Hyunjung in the final.

Fukuhara managed to defeat the number thirteen seed fairly comfortably in four straight games (11-7, 11-5, 13-11, 11-8), this is now the fifth time she has reached the final of a women’s singles event on the ITTF World Tour but only the second time she has managed to clinch the top prize.

“It is the first time I have won the Japan Open and I am very pleased to have won such a big event, I believe that one of the main reasons I was able to win was the spectators support they were fantastic and it helped my confidence a lot” commented Ai Fukuhara.

She then added “During my match my coach received a red card, but I was able to remain focused and my win was simply down to my hard work and practice I am very satisfied!”

This was Moon Hyunjung’s second appearance in an ITTF World Tour women’s singles final, she commented on the match “Ai Fukuhara’s backhand has improved a great deal this year which made it very tough for me to play her”.

For all the latest news, results and videos from the Japan Open click here. To catch up on all the latest highlighted matches from the Japan Open visit our Media Library.

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Source: ITTF
Written by: Emily Standing
TableTennisDaily