Any thinner blades provide the similar feel as the 1-ply hinoki blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
I have a Darker Speed 90 and it is amazing. It is fast and soft. I love the catapult effect which provides huge power. However, it is 9mm thick which is hard for me to switch between the forehand and backhand.

I wonder if there are any thinner blades (maybe multi-ply? maybe with any fiber?) that could provide a similar feel as the 1-ply hinoki blade?

How is the Darker 7p-2a.7T / Darker 7p-2a carbon / Butterfly Revoldia CNF compare to the 1-ply hinoki blades?
I am a mid-range two-wing power looper.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
Nothing feels like a Speed 90. So multiply Hinoki blades don’t really compare, although they are also stiff, soft and lively. Darker has tried to build blades which are thinner and yet try to come as close as possible to the Speed 90 feeling. Unfortunately all these blades have been discontinued. The blades I am talking about are the three ply Hinoki blades Mai Gouban (8mm thick) and Darker Sakura Alba, which is a 6.2 mm thin 7ply Hinoki blade. For the Alba Darker has used a special kind of glue to reproduce the shot feeling of the Speed 90.

The 7t and the 7p Carbon are different from these blades. Both also have a very soft feeling. The 7t is very bouncy and has a high throw. It is thus very useful for mid-distance looping. The 7P carbon also has a fantastic soft feeling but plays much more linear. It is probably a bit slower than the 7t, maybe Off- or lower end of Off. It is better suited for close to the table strategies.

This user has no status.
MK73 is right - nothing feels like a 1-ply-Hinoki-blade, which I played the most time of my life, but there are some disadvantages (thickness, fragility, price...) , which made me switch to other blades.
Since almost one year I play with a JOOLA Nobilis with thick Hinoki outer layers. It ist not the same, but the blade has a soft touch, a good control paired with enough speed and the feeling is similar to the 1-ply-blades.
Best regards Michael

Reactions: Wakkibatty
Do people here think hinoki one ply blades would be more popular if they were less prone to breakage?
I think also at the thickness they need to hold they are to fast do most people.

Cheers
L-zr

Thanks for that.

What do hinoki outer plies play like, compared to a hinoki one-ply? How much does the catapult effect of hinoki translate at thinner widths?

It feels softish and yet distinct. Due to the other layers it’s hard to say how much of the catapult it contributes to but I really like it.

Cheers
L-zr

For me nothing feels like a one ply blade !! I've had my Western Red Cedar for 15 years it has split twice with the grain so I've re-glued it and it's as good as new!!! The thickness of the blade will put a lot off,but if you can get used to that,you will never want to go back to multi ply blades again!!!

This user has no status.
For me nothing feels like a one ply blade !! I've had my Western Red Cedar for 15 years it has split twice with the grain so I've re-glued it and it's as good as new!!! The thickness of the blade will put a lot off,but if you can get used to that,you will never want to go back to multi ply blades again!!!

What thickness is your WRC blade may I ask? I've built and trialled a couple of one-ply blades from WRC, but I found they flexed and vibrated a bit too much for my liking. Is that your experience (ie that your WRC one ply is very flexy / springy compared to other blades?) I suspect mine may have been simply too thin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
I will recommend trying 3+2 hinoki/carbon/kiri blades. Butterfly has some in that class. Primorac Carbon is what Timo Boll is using now. The outer Hinoki is 1.2mm so you will retain the soft Hinoki feel at least at low to medium impact...