Beginner - change from DHS to Sriver?

This user has no status.
Hi,

I am an adult table tennis ‘beginner’ - I’ve dabbled with playing on and off over the years, but am now taking playing seriously.

I am currently getting coaching of 1 hour per week and playing 4 hours per week on top of that and want to maintain at least this amount. My focus is at the moment on getting the fundamental techniques / basic strokes as correct as possible and trying to apply it in games.

My setup is a Joola Falcon Medium (all round) blade and DHS magician 2mm rubbers. The rubbers seem to be fairly obscure but have been described elsewhere as like DHS H3 with a harder topsheet, much higher throw and more dynamic. Sponge '44-46d'

I am thinking of changing to Sriver EL rubber (1.9mm?) before I get too used to this setup, as...

• My setup seems to lack some ‘feel’ (sensation of ball hitting bat) compared to other bats I’ve played with. I like the increased sensation and I’m assuming that the softer rubber & sponge of the Sriver would give me more of this.
  • From what I understand, the less tacky rubber should help a bit when dealing with incoming spin. This is causing some frustration at the moment - mainly on serves. I realise that reading spin is a big part of the game and I’m not looking for shortcuts as such. But if this change would help this aspect a bit with no obvious disadvantage… why not?
  • Lots of people seem to consider Sriver as an ideal neutral, controlled rubber for improving beginners, which can be kept well into later levels of playing.

Are my assumptions generally correct? Does changing seem like a good idea or should I stick with what I have? I’m also open to other suggestions for rubber - this is just where my research has led me so far..

Thanks!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
sriver is indeed a very controlled rubber and ideal for learning the basics and is often used in our club as rubbers for a first custom bat (although the fx-version, not the el). it's quite soft, so you will get much feedback and to my impression it isn't to spinsensitive. it's not a speed demon (as you weren't looking for that, no problem here), but it's fast and spinny enough to give you're opponent some major trouble. i don't know the DHS magician, so i can't say anything about that

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews
You could also look at trying Yasaka Mark V, it's a really good rubber for starting to develop strokes more with an attacking orientation. It has fantastic control and is good for producing spin. Has just enough speed on board to keep things interesting too!

This user has no status.
You could also look at trying Yasaka Mark V, it's a really good rubber for starting to develop strokes more with an attacking orientation. It has fantastic control and is good for producing spin. Has just enough speed on board to keep things interesting too!

Yeah, was also considering Mk V.

From what I can tell it seems maybe a bit faster / less controlled than Sriver?

This user has no status.
For developing a proper stroke I think 1.7 should be good. With the thinner sponge you get a more direct feel and the power can be transfered better on flat strokes. To keep it short your rubber won't do as much for you and you will have to do more work which will shorten the time you need to get a proper feeling on your stroke. The feeling I'm talking about is not so easy to explain to beginners, but since you're an adult I think there should be some hobby you have pursued for some time already. At some point you will just be able to tell small differences in strokes and feel how the sponge grips and accelerates the ball. If you arrive at that point you should look into rubbers that suit your style best.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews
Yeah, was also considering Mk V.

From what I can tell it seems maybe a bit faster / less controlled than Sriver?

It's not so much faster, it has a high level of control. They are quite similar rubbers in some respects, both very well known for starting development type rubbers. Mark V is a very popular rubber, it's a little bit more new generation than Sriver.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Hi,

I am an adult table tennis ‘beginner’ - I’ve dabbled with playing on and off over the years, but am now taking playing seriously.

I am currently getting coaching of 1 hour per week and playing 4 hours per week on top of that and want to maintain at least this amount. My focus is at the moment on getting the fundamental techniques / basic strokes as correct as possible and trying to apply it in games.

My setup is a Joola Falcon Medium (all round) blade and DHS magician 2mm rubbers. The rubbers seem to be fairly obscure but have been described elsewhere as like DHS H3 with a harder topsheet, much higher throw and more dynamic. Sponge '44-46d'

I am thinking of changing to Sriver EL rubber (1.9mm?) before I get too used to this setup, as...

• My setup seems to lack some ‘feel’ (sensation of ball hitting bat) compared to other bats I’ve played with. I like the increased sensation and I’m assuming that the softer rubber & sponge of the Sriver would give me more of this.
  • From what I understand, the less tacky rubber should help a bit when dealing with incoming spin. This is causing some frustration at the moment - mainly on serves. I realise that reading spin is a big part of the game and I’m not looking for shortcuts as such. But if this change would help this aspect a bit with no obvious disadvantage… why not?
  • Lots of people seem to consider Sriver as an ideal neutral, controlled rubber for improving beginners, which can be kept well into later levels of playing.

Are my assumptions generally correct? Does changing seem like a good idea or should I stick with what I have? I’m also open to other suggestions for rubber - this is just where my research has led me so far..

Thanks!

You'd be correct in that harder rubbers are generally harder to "feel" the ball with. Sriver is a great beginner rubber. Mambo from JOOLA and various other brands all have their mainstream starter rubbers. And yes to learn technique and build some solid basics into your game you should start there. Thinner sponger like 1.9 is better because you'll have the added control.

Tacky rubbers imo are easier to handle incoming spin, but that may be because I read service pretty well. If you are having trouble with it softer rubbers will give you more dwell time so that you will have slightly more time to react to the incoming spin. Rubbers that don't include the catapult effect are best for beginners because otherwise the incoming spin will react too quickly despite a softer sponge.

If you're truly serious about improving I recommend playing at least 4 days a week for about 2-3 hours a day. If you don't have that time commitment then your best bet is to get coaching at least 2-3 times a week for 1 hour each time. As an adult you need to play more efficiently. For kids who have all of the time in the world they learn exponentially quicker. This is because most of them have no bad habits to break, but as adults we overthink and fight ourselves because of our ego's and prior habits. The most efficient thing you can do is multiball with a coach and always listen to him. Don't argue or try to contradict as this is just a waste of time. If you are having trouble you can of course ask questions about a particular technique, but for the most part improving as an adult is all about hitting more balls in a short period of time. By the time you've hit 10,000 or more you'll really have the technique set in.

Good luck in your training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
you could directly make the switch to tenergy.
if it's too much for you just let it get old and it'll become more controllable.

if for some reason you reject tenergy I would go to rasant, evolution, bluefire....

sriver is old technology and expensive for what it offers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
you could directly make the switch to tenergy.
if it's too much for you just let it get old and it'll become more controllable.

if for some reason you reject tenergy I would go to rasant, evolution, bluefire....

sriver is old technology and expensive for what it offers.

Tenergy is very expensive, there are many other rubbers out there that works just fine without costing a fortune.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Tenergy is very expensive, there are many other rubbers out there that works just fine without costing a fortune.

difference in price with rasant/bluefire is 26 US dollars, it's not that much.
also you can use the same sheet of tenergy for 1 year or more.

you trying to make me believe you don't have 50 USD to spare in a year?
what are you, an indigent? :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
difference in price with rasant/bluefire is 26 US dollars, it's not that much.
also you can use the same sheet of tenergy for 1 year or more.

you trying to make me believe you don't have 50 USD to spare in a year?
what are you, an indigent? :D

Maybe I am :( Haha no but I play like 8-9 sessions per week so my rubbers don't last that long. And for me who change rubbers every third weekend need to think about the prize because it can make a big difference in the long run. But of course Lanky Git who don't change that often can but some extra money on the rubbers, so you have a point! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Maybe I am :( Haha no but I play like 8-9 sessions per week so my rubbers don't last that long. And for me who change rubbers every third weekend need to think about the prize because it can make a big difference in the long run. But of course Lanky Git who don't change that often can but some extra money on the rubbers, so you have a point! :)

wow, you should try to get a sponsor...
if you train that much you must be pretty good.
I use t05 both sides, I bought them around 4 months ago and they still do their job.

This user has no status.
Thanks all,

Some very useful advice here.

If you're truly serious about improving I recommend playing at least 4 days a week for about 2-3 hours a day. If you don't have that time commitment then your best bet is to get coaching at least 2-3 times a week for 1 hour each time. As an adult you need to play more efficiently. For kids who have all of the time in the world they learn exponentially quicker. This is because most of them have no bad habits to break, but as adults we overthink and fight ourselves because of our ego's and prior habits. The most efficient thing you can do is multiball with a coach and always listen to him. Don't argue or try to contradict as this is just a waste of time. If you are having trouble you can of course ask questions about a particular technique, but for the most part improving as an adult is all about hitting more balls in a short period of time. By the time you've hit 10,000 or more you'll really have the technique set in.

Good luck in your training.

I know what you mean about over-thinking. One of my issues is in directing my energy / movement into just what is necessary & beneficial. I don't really contradict anything - I'm not qualified to, and it would be a waste of money. I do like to know the 'why' as well as 'what', however.

As for setups I'm still not decided. Probably Sriver El 1.9 front & back or maybe Mark V 1.8. I'm thinking that at my level the differences will only be slight.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Overthinking is exactly what you're saying. You believe you have energy / movement issues over what what is necessary & beneficial. The older we are the more we want to know about how something feels or exactly what height the ball needs to be contacted. We need more details when truly the best thing you can do is relax and just train. The coach if they're as qualified as they should be will stop the session if the technique is getting out of hand, but if it's acceptable or even exemplary he'll keep training you.

In multiball training you should concentrate topspin drills with shorter strokes and more weight shift from your legs in addition to proper footwork. It doesn't have to be blindly fast at first, but you'll get better at it and faster. Against underspin or any type of transition shots from location or spins (FH to BH, Underspin to Topspin) Work on your technique. Make sure you're properly balanced and shifting that weight properly as well as starting the racket at the correct positions. Things like this are better explained from your personal coach.

I hope this better explains it.

This user has no status.
I'm also a begginer, with Dhs rubbers. When buying them i considered the Mark V over the Sriver, but mostly because i wanted to try some diffferent brand, actually i don't know how different they are. I read excellent reviews about both of them (finally, i bought the dhs because they were cheaper ;), and with the difference i bought a more expensive blade)
I'm thinking of changing my backhand rubber to something softer too. If money isn't a problem, Tenergy is a good option.
In my case, i like playing with top and loops with my forehand, so i find the h3 a very good rubber for that, i mean, when doing the footwork correctly i can make really good strokes. By the other side, when my legs are tired it's a problem. That's right, those rubbers doesn't have a lot of feeling, but for my fh it's fine.

If you want something softer, Acuda could be another option, like Mark V and Sriver. I think any of those rubbers would be ok.

I read good reviews of the Dawei Iqul rubbers. I've never played with them, but i'm thinking of ordering a pair from ebay. They are not expensive at all.

Last edited: