Beginner looking to build a solid racket

This user has no status.
I’m not a complete beginner, but also nowhere near intermediate. I’ve been playing on and off at home for about 1.5 years, never trained at a club, but that’s my intention. Would this setup be any good for my level(disregarding the price)? Glayzer 09c on FH and Rozena on BH, both 1.9mm with a Zoran Primorac 5 ply blade. If not, let me know what I should consider instead. Thanks

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I’m not a complete beginner, but also nowhere near intermediate. I’ve been playing on and off at home for about 1.5 years, never trained at a club, but that’s my intention. Would this setup be any good for my level(disregarding the price)? Glayzer 09c on FH and Rozena on BH, both 1.9mm with a Zoran Primorac 5 ply blade. If not, let me know what I should consider instead. Thanks
Sound's fine.

Reactions: Sims and pakisica
5-ply wood or maybe 7-ply wood is a good starting point. I'd personally recommend the Ma Lin Extra Offensive -- it's a good blade, definitely the best you'll get in its price range.

Rozena and Glayzer are both very fast rubbers. Glayzer in particular has many mixed reviews, though Rozena seems to be universally liked. You might consider something slower, like a soft Hurricane 3 or Friendship Battle II. Depends whether you like European or Chinese rubbers, though. If you don't know which rubbers you like, then it can't hurt to experiment :)

This user has no status.
5-ply wood or maybe 7-ply wood is a good starting point. I'd personally recommend the Ma Lin Extra Offensive -- it's a good blade, definitely the best you'll get in its price range.

Rozena and Glayzer are both very fast rubbers. Glayzer in particular has many mixed reviews, though Rozena seems to be universally liked. You might consider something slower, like a soft Hurricane 3 or Friendship Battle II. Depends whether you like European or Chinese rubbers, though. If you don't know which rubbers you like, then it can't hurt to experiment :)
The thing is, I’m not a big fan of the hassle involving multiple shipments, considering I’m in the Balkans. Also, Butterfly can assemble my racket for free, that’s a big plus for me. Most likely going to order everything off Butterfly and have them assemble it. The only thing I might change my mind about is the Glayzer 09c

Naa, G09C is not particularly fast. For that you need to hit really really hard. It’s very hard and kind of dead though. I still like it, but I like H3 a lot better.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
Pozdrav! :)

I've purchased Rozena for both BH and FH yesterday and played for a few hours and it's very nice rubber for where I'm at with my game (intermediate-ish player). Would recommend!
What do you mean by Intermediate? I thought using the same rubber on both sides is something you you’re not supposed to do because FH and BH have different mechanics and you need to get used to that. It’s kind of a grey area in TT advice. Also, yea, most people like Rozena from what I’ve seen

• Haha
Reactions: NextLevel
I agree with Primorac 5-ply wood (no carbon).

G09c FH at 1.9mm and Rozena 1.9mm BH, it sounds perfectly fine to me! Rozena is even faster than G09c so not sure if you want 1.9mm rozena or 1.7mm rozena. Otherwise the set up sounds great to me!

This user has no status.
I agree with Primorac 5-ply wood (no carbon).

G09c FH at 1.9mm and Rozena 1.9mm BH, it sounds perfectly fine to me! Rozena is even faster than G09c so not sure if you want 1.9mm rozena or 1.7mm rozena. Otherwise the set up sounds great to me!
I like having more control, and I guess I do block a lot passively, so 1.7mm might actually be the better option on the Rozena

• Wow
Reactions: NextLevel and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2024
What do you mean by Intermediate? I thought using the same rubber on both sides is something you you’re not supposed to do because FH and BH have different mechanics and you need to get used to that. It’s kind of a grey area in TT advice. Also, yea, most people like Rozena from what I’ve seen
I feel like that depends on who you ask, but you can generally return most serves, can hit most loops and have a decent footwork. That’s just me though if you ask someone else they might say something different :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews

Nope, it’s fine to play with same kind of rubbers, just personal taste of preference.

Many pro’s have been used double tenergy for years, now dignics 09c and some d05.

Of course, general preference hard + spinier on fh, soft faster on bh. (Me too)

But many many players even in national leagues use same rubbers on both sides.
So need for a restriction.

Just using dead hard h3 on bh may not suitable for majority. However also as an exception, I have couple friends just using plain h3 without boosting on both side, happily play and beat.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2023
Forgot to mention that. Of course I was talking about the 5 ply haha
My daughter (21 yrs) started playing at a club last year, and I gave her the all-wood Primorac with Xiom Vega intro on both sides. This blade in combination with these rubbers is very light and enough control. Today we tried some other blades with other rubbers, but she still liked this combination the most.
I can't say anything about the rubbers you suggest but the blade is fine.

edit: an other Butterfly blade that's fine to start with is the Grubba, a bit slower than the Primorac

Last edited:
Reactions: Sims and pakisica
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Idk if you already bought the setup or not, but honestly I think a normal glazer would do a better job... Getting into tacky (or at least semi tacky) rubbers at this stage isnt the best idea...

says Pimples Schmimples
says Pimples Schmimples
Sep 2022
I would agree with you about softer BH rubber.
As you develop your strokes you're going to find that a softer rubber will likely work better on the BH, simply because you cannot develop as much power from your BH swing as FH swing. You just cannot get into/activate harder sponge on BH side, which you can on FH side due to the greater power of that swing.

Regarding your suggestions, I think they look pretty solid but any TT website will assemble the bat for you if you ask them so you don't have to be married to Butterfly.

As you're in the Balkans, I will mention that I have bought from www.tt-store.eu (in Bulgaria). I have no affiliation with them other than 5 or 6 purchases and they've always been great.
They don't sell Butterfly but might be an option for you if you decide on something else.
For example
Blade: DHS Hurricane H-WH with Rakza 7 MAX on FH and Victas Ventus Limber on BH. ~€120
Or
Blade: DHS Hurricane H-WH with DHS Hurricane 3 Neo on FH and Rakza 7 or Victas Ventus Limber on BH ~€100/€120

Just more food for thought 😊

Last edited:
says Pimples Schmimples
says Pimples Schmimples
Sep 2022

I have a Ma Lin EO and I just can't get a handle on it (pls excuse any pun there😉).
It's quite well made, feels good in my hand and for some shots it works but I just can't master it and I put it down to a lack of feel/feedback.
I reckon if my technique was better then I could probably use this blade with great success for its speed and crispness but not yet.
Just my experience with it and why I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

Reactions: NextLevel
says Pimples Schmimples
says Pimples Schmimples
Sep 2022
Nope, it’s fine to play with same kind of rubbers, just personal taste of preference.

Many pro’s have been used double tenergy for years, now dignics 09c and some d05.

Of course, general preference hard + spinier on fh, soft faster on bh. (Me too)

But many many players even in national leagues use same rubbers on both sides.
So need for a restriction.

Just using dead hard h3 on bh may not suitable for majority. However also as an exception, I have couple friends just using plain h3 without boosting on both side, happily play and beat.
All true.
Would you not recommend a softer BH rubber for a beginner learning to loop etc?
Learning BH with a relatively hard rubber is going to be more difficult.

I think your approach (both same) works if rubbers are relatively soft as long as not too soft on FH.
There's a V good player at our club who uses 2 Rakza 7s!

This user has no status.
I would agree with you about softer BH rubber.
As you develop your strokes you're going to find that a softer rubber will likely work better on the BH, simply because you cannot develop as much power from your BH swing as FH swing. You just cannot get into/activate harder sponge on BH side, which you can on FH side due to the greater power of that swing.

Regarding your suggestions, I think they look pretty solid but any TT website will assemble the best for you if you ask them so you don't have to be married to Butterfly.

As you're in the Balkans, I will mention that I have bought from www.tt-store.eu (in Bulgaria). I have no affiliation with them other than 5 or 6 purchases and they've always been great.
They don't sell Butterfly but might be an option for you if you decide on something else.
For example
Blade: DHS Hurricane H-WH with Rakza 7 MAX on FH and Victas Ventus Limber on BH. ~€100
Or
Blade: DHS Hurricane H-WH with DHS Hurricane 3 Neo on FH and Rakza 7 or Victas Ventus Limber on BH ~€120

Just more food for thought 😊
Dang, I was just about to order my setup from Butterfly, and now you’re making me hesitant. Butterfly seems to be the most renowned and well-respected brands, that’s why I’d like to try some of their products. I’m almost certainly going to buy elsewhere in the future.

• Haha
Reactions: NextLevel and Sims