"chinese philosophy for equipment" blades: flexibility, stiffness, etc

This user has no status.
So pingsunday made the "Chinese philosophy for table tennis equipment" article, and in it he writes that a blade should be "flexible", soft and have good feeling.
As I use a 5 ply hinoki outer blade(hinotec off), I'd like to know if the lack of vibrations and different feeling of the blade would affect my beginner-intermediate skill/technique progression.
Furthermore, I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts on what makes a blade that suits the chinese game play style, I've heard some chinese players stick with stiga 5 plies because they have the feeling, and also recommendations on blades that suit said philosophy.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
That philosophy is a bit dated now. It was for the 38 mm and 40 mm era.
These days most beginners and intermediate players start with something like the Clipper or similar 7 ply all wood.

The Sanwei Fextra is a good example of a clipper that plays well and doesn't break the bank.

This user has no status.
That philosophy is a bit dated now. It was for the 38 mm and 40 mm era.
These days most beginners and intermediate players start with something like the Clipper or similar 7 ply all wood.

The Sanwei Fextra is a good example of a clipper that plays well and doesn't break the bank.

Thanks for the advice. On the other hand, some people on this forum say that 7 ply is too heavy/stiff for 40+ ball, and the flex and feeling could be achieved by simply "skipping" to 5+2 inner AC and limba outer ply structures, that would provide great flex/feeling.
7 plies like the Sanwei Fextra should, in thesis, be plenty flexy though, as they use limba/ayous.
sorry for asking, im just kinda confused

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Thanks for the advice. On the other hand, some people on this forum say that 7 ply is too heavy/stiff for 40+ ball, and the flex and feeling could be achieved by simply "skipping" to 5+2 inner AC and limba outer ply structures, that would provide great flex/feeling.
7 plies like the Sanwei Fextra should, in thesis, be plenty flexy though, as they use limba/ayous.
sorry for asking, im just kinda confused

So many people overthink equipment. What Lazer posted is the actual important information.

This user has no status.
I use a Yinhe V14 PRO blade with DHS H3 41deg (FH) and Yinhe Big Dipper 38deg (BH), both boosted a bit.
For me, a harder sponge works much better with a stiffer blade, as they interact better together. But I feel that a setup like this don't allow a lot of errors and it's harder to control, so I'm struggling a bit with this. Earlier I used H3 and similar rubbers in softer sponges on 5-ply allround blades and that works fine as well. It doesn't require such aggressive play and the margin for error is greater, so I guess you'll have to try your way towards the perfect setup for you.
I think that the most important thing to think of if you have a setup that works for you, is that you don't make too big changes at one time. Then you might have to change your way of playing to make it work... :) And like Carl writes. "So many people overthink equipment". Go with what feels good for you.