Dima on TTBL

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Dima:
A very though defeat to take yesterday for our team and myself obviously very unhappy about my performance. Sport is very hard sometimes but we will learn from it and definitely fight for the CL title next year again.
Congrats to Timo, Dang and Anton for an amazing performance. What a fight.

Big thanks to our wonderful fans, to my teammates, coach and of course to Florian Ebner who made it possible to bring many spectacular players to our club.

It was a very special season with the title in the Cup Final and to be back playing in Germany after more than 10 years.

Unfortunately I am very doubtful right now if Truls, Yun -Ju and myself will continue to play in the TTBL. To play in a league ( @ttbuli ) where the chairman of the supervisory board is also the person in charge of Borussia Düsseldorf and deceides everything in order to seek personal advantage is something where myself and my teammates have difficult to imagine to be a part of.

Hopefully the TTBL can have an independent board in the future!!! I am sure it will be better for the sport.

332634557_1278188143115515_52100944528440532_n.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I think it's just Dima showing his frustration because the umpires where not very friendly towards him and Truls. They where saying to Dima that he takes too much time to serve and faulting Truls's serve.
And I would speculate that he didn't like the Golden Match rule overall. Makes sense cause it is played only on the second venue and in this case this was home venue for Borussia (home crowd in such pressure moments helps the home club). For me this was the most questionable thing about the semifinal.
But yeah - overall it was wild. And started to become wild pretty much at the end of the 4th set between Timo and Truls :) :)

Reactions: Crillo and jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Here is the text I see on instagram:

"A very tough defeat to take yesterday for our team and myself obviously very unhappy about my performance. Sport is very hard sometimes but we will learn from it and definitely fight for the CL title next year again. Congrats to Timo, Dang and Anton for an amazing performance. What a fight. Big thanks to our wonderful fans, to my teammates, coach and of course to Florian Ebner who made it possible to bring many spectacular players to our club. It was a very special season with the title in the Cup Final and to be back playing in Germany after more than 10 years. Unfortunately I am more than doubtful to continue at the TTBL due to the suspensions and financial penalties from @ttbuli against my teammates Truls and Yun -Ju."

What suspensions and financial penalties is he referring to?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Here is the text I see on instagram:

"A very tough defeat to take yesterday for our team and myself obviously very unhappy about my performance. Sport is very hard sometimes but we will learn from it and definitely fight for the CL title next year again. Congrats to Timo, Dang and Anton for an amazing performance. What a fight. Big thanks to our wonderful fans, to my teammates, coach and of course to Florian Ebner who made it possible to bring many spectacular players to our club. It was a very special season with the title in the Cup Final and to be back playing in Germany after more than 10 years. Unfortunately I am more than doubtful to continue at the TTBL due to the suspensions and financial penalties from @ttbuli against my teammates Truls and Yun -Ju."

What suspensions and financial penalties is he referring to?
Truls played for his homeclub in Sweden and got fined and suspended for next season in TTBL for doing it without filing the transfer paperwork. That was the gist of what I got from what I read about it.

Reactions: tabletennisdaily1
This user has no status.
They have to pay 10k each and are restricted to play for 4 matches (i think) because of playing the final though they were already under contract for different teams.

Overall weird rules the ttbl has just like germany has for the amateur leagues as well. But either way rules are rules, although i would totally understand if Dima would actually leave the ttbl

Reactions: tabletennisdaily1
says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
They played in the cup final although they were not allowed to. I think the bigger question is, why they were able to play there and get the title. In a normal way, they could not have played and Neu-Ulm would not have won the title.
Dima complaining about the rules, which every club except Neu-Ulm respects, is stupid and does not comply with good sportsmanship.
Neu-Ulm bought themselves with money into the Bundesliga (how stupid is that???) and then bought 4 top10 players who only play in cups, not the league… it’s like Paris saint Germain in football… everybody hates them for the mercenary they do. The club has no tradition, no nothing, but money. And, this is the best thing about it: the club will soon be gone

• Wow
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
a post from duss
Translation

"We, Borussia Düsseldorf and I reject the accusations of the TTC Neu-Ulm and of Dimitrij Ovtcharov decisively," says Andreas Preuß. "My club and I have always followed the rules. The players of the TTC Neu-Ulm, on the other hand, have deliberately violated the rules of the TTBL and broken them. The management of TTBL GmbH sanctioned this violation. The Board of Supervisors, as the name suggests, leads oversight. This is also regulated by law in Germany. And that representatives of the clubs are sitting on the board of supervisors is common and is also handled in this way in other sports, for example in football (DFL). We are very disappointed in Dimitrij Ovtcharov, he has completely lost his mind with his baseless statements in which he personally attacked me and my club. That he changed the post late Monday night and removed these allegations is evidence alone. "

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
a post from duss
Translation

"We, Borussia Düsseldorf and I reject the accusations of the TTC Neu-Ulm and of Dimitrij Ovtcharov decisively," says Andreas Preuß. "My club and I have always followed the rules. The players of the TTC Neu-Ulm, on the other hand, have deliberately violated the rules of the TTBL and broken them. The management of TTBL GmbH sanctioned this violation. The Board of Supervisors, as the name suggests, leads oversight. This is also regulated by law in Germany. And that representatives of the clubs are sitting on the board of supervisors is common and is also handled in this way in other sports, for example in football (DFL). We are very disappointed in Dimitrij Ovtcharov, he has completely lost his mind with his baseless statements in which he personally attacked me and my club. That he changed the post late Monday night and removed these allegations is evidence alone. "
Wow, heavy words from Andreas, but perhaps understandable for the original post. In Dima's edited post the soft accusation is removed.

What do you guys think? Should players have more freedom of playing in more leagues, or should they be restricted? From my perspective as a distant fan with no personal history with any team, I personally would want more freedom.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Imo both are kinda right. IMO dima is right that a Düsseldorf official shouldn't be in the advisory board and it looks like Düsseldorf is trying to get the neu ulm sponsor to quit so they have a soft bundesliga field to win easily again.

But I also agree that there shouldn't be a situation where players play for multiple clubs, especially in a playoff format, otherwise a team could for example hire fan zhendong and ma long just for the semifinals and finals and then win it all without having to pay for a full season of those players.

I mean Düsseldorf is paying for a full season of their players while neu ulm is kinda sharing their players salaries with other clubs and then bring the players in for the important games which actually is a competitive advantage.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Imo both are kinda right. IMO dima is right that a Düsseldorf official shouldn't be in the advisory board and it looks like Düsseldorf is trying to get the neu ulm sponsor to quit so they have a soft bundesliga field to win easily again.

But I also agree that there shouldn't be a situation where players play for multiple clubs, especially in a playoff format, otherwise a team could for example hire fan zhendong and ma long just for the semifinals and finals and then win it all without having to pay for a full season of those players.

I mean Düsseldorf is paying for a full season of their players while neu ulm is kinda sharing their players salaries with other clubs and then bring the players in for the important games which actually is a competitive advantage.

Table tennis players earns peanuts compared to other sports
So it is not uncommon that a player will play in more than 1 league a year.

There is nothing wrong for a club to hire a all star to play just 1 match (he can be injured whole season and just play the final for example).

I'm not sure what the rules are in TTBL, but if the rules are not allowed to have this freedom, then players will need to decide. Question I like to ask too (since I don't know the rules) is how much restriction is there, ie for what period of time?

Sports like Cricket T20, you have players playing with freedom and leagues all around the world.
if you start restricting TTBL, then you will just have the same team winning, same players winning.
I would assuming bring world top 10 players into the league is a good idea and good for competition. But if you were a winner and start loosing, you won't like that.
Maybe TTBL can put salary cap to allow a fair playing field?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Table tennis players earns peanuts compared to other sports
So it is not uncommon that a player will play in more than 1 league a year.

There is nothing wrong for a club to hire a all star to play just 1 match (he can be injured whole season and just play the final for example).

I'm not sure what the rules are in TTBL, but if the rules are not allowed to have this freedom, then players will need to decide. Question I like to ask too (since I don't know the rules) is how much restriction is there, ie for what period of time?

Sports like Cricket T20, you have players playing with freedom and leagues all around the world.
if you start restricting TTBL, then you will just have the same team winning, same players winning.
I would assuming bring world top 10 players into the league is a good idea and good for competition. But if you were a winner and start loosing, you won't like that.
Maybe TTBL can put salary cap to allow a fair playing field?
I agree but I think it kinda isn't cool if a team has a B team they play in season and then bring in Stars for the playoffs which actually is what neu Ulm does. They are 7th in the bundesliga mostly playing the B team and then only bring in the stars for important games while Düsseldorf pays their stars year round.

Salaries aren't like in soccer but I guess guys like timo or dima probably get well over 100+ k a year which doesn't sound much but you have to consider bundesliga clubs hardly have any revenue apart from sponsors (they play in front of a few hundred spectators and the bundesliga doesn't have a TV just some streaming).

So it kinda is expensive to run a bundesliga team.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I agree but I think it kinda isn't cool if a team has a B team they play in season and then bring in Stars for the playoffs which actually is what neu Ulm does. They are 7th in the bundesliga mostly playing the B team and then only bring in the stars for important games while Düsseldorf pays their stars year round.

Salaries aren't like in soccer but I guess guys like timo or dima probably get well over 100+ k a year which doesn't sound much but you have to consider bundesliga clubs hardly have any revenue apart from sponsors (they play in front of a few hundred spectators and the bundesliga doesn't have a TV just some streaming).

So it kinda is expensive to run a bundesliga team.

I know it doesn't sound cool, but that is just how it is.
You will rest your star players for non important matches, and use them for critical ones.
Happens in plenty of sporting codes.

Unless TTBL makes ruling on participation ratio and exempted only by injury.

End of the day, not sure who is right or wrong, I doubt TTBL will attract so many top 10 players in the next few years.
Maybe TTBL need to go all star mode, get in big money like what USA is doing with T20 cricket and making the "sport" big. Or they can continue what they are doing, and through inflation, they are actually shrinking year on year.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Table tennis at club level following T20, or like in the UK with The Hundred franchised format with a draft would be really interesting. Would need a big sponsor and TV rights deals.

T2 is kindof in that idea.
But just need a "teams" version.
The Japanese T-league is a good example of maybe what many leagues can copy.
Lin + Hugo is now there right now

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I know it doesn't sound cool, but that is just how it is.
You will rest your star players for non important matches, and use them for critical ones.
Happens in plenty of sporting codes.

Unless TTBL makes ruling on participation ratio and exempted only by injury.

End of the day, not sure who is right or wrong, I doubt TTBL will attract so many top 10 players in the next few years.
Maybe TTBL need to go all star mode, get in big money like what USA is doing with T20 cricket and making the "sport" big. Or they can continue what they are doing, and through inflation, they are actually shrinking year on year.
Resting your stars is one thing but essentially sharing a player with another club and only using them for certain matches is a big competitive advantage because it means you are sharing salary too.

Düsseldorf for example can decide to sit timo and Anton for that match but they still are having to pay the salary for a match while when a player plays for 2 clubs each club only has to pay half of the salary so they can sign another star with the same budget.