Donic World Champion 89 Waldner

Is anybody using a Donic World Champion 89 Waldner blade. interested to know how compares with other blades like butterfly viscara.
I have the Appelgren ALL+ one. It's slower than the waldner but other than that it should be similar. They have spruce outer-plies which gives them more dwell than a Viscaria. There handles are also like passifid said bigger than tb alc or viscaria

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I am using one right now with a straight handle and Genesis M on both sides. I came to it from an Appelgren Allplay and an old Primorac (both with Barracuda) so can't really compare it directly to the Viscaria or similar blades. For reference, my style is a combination of blocking and two-winged looping (depending on how my knees feel), and I am mid 1900s.

The blade feels well-constructed and sturdy; it does not have a lot of flex but is in the Off category, I would hesitate to label it Off+. The straight handle feels rounded rather than a straight edge. Many reviews of this blade mention a massive sweet-spot, and I tend to agree. Blocking feels crisp and easy to control, and the consistency is there. The response I feel in the short game reminds me of an all-wood blade. The blade is thick but does not feel especially heavy, even with apparently heavy-ish rubbers. To be honest, I don't pay a lot of attention to weight, so others may strongly disagree on this issue.

Overall, I enjoy using this blade although I suspect it still might be a little fast for what I want to do. There is nothing wrong with this blade; it is a high quality product and nicely priced for what it is (don't pay list price, try tabletennis11, ~$90). I have had some good wins (for me) with this set-up, and I am glad I tried it but it still feels a little hot for me after ~8 months of continual use . I probably should have gone with the Appelgren WC blade instead. Maybe I will, or perhaps just go back to the Appelgren Allplay or Primorac. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Suga D