Going back to basics. Recommend me an ALL+,OFF-,OFF all wood blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Hi guys,

Prologue: Been using Butterfly Michael Maze FL for quite some(~7 years) . Initially , had Tenergy 05 both sides. At the moment DHS Hurricane Neo 3.

What have i realized lately? - My setup is fast. I don't get the control, ball feeling i need , especially in matches.

I have decided to try out bunch of blades, starting from ALL+, OFF- and OFF. I would be interested only in All Wood blades and preferably stick to Hard tacky chineese rubbers for sometime.

Here is what i have narrowed down:

ALL+
  1. Yasaka Sweden Extra
  2. Neottec Amagi ALL+
OFF-
  1. Darker 5P-2A
  2. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
OFF
  1. Neottec Voodoo Classic
  2. Darker Hinoki 7P-2A
  3. Nittaku Septear
  4. Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro black edition
  5. DHS Power G7
  6. Tibhar Szocs Signature 1

Here is my short training video. I am the one playing with yellow shoes and blue T-Shirt.

What am i looking for ?
Control, Ball Feeling, Less speed. Preferably continue with DHS tacky rubbers.

What's your view on the above choices? Which one would fit well?

PS: I would be buying mostly from TableTennis11

Cheers!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Keep the rubbers and thinner 7ply?

BTW your technique is great. I noticed your wrist is stationary during the stroke ( at least that is the what I think I saw on slow mo, maybe your movement is suple). You can try adding wrist to your top-spin or at least loosening a bit. That should give you ton of spin. Ti Long has a lot of training videos on that topic exactly.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
👼If you've played with a Maze for so long, let's not start some massive EJ journey. Especially paired with hurricane 3, it won't even be that fast. Instead, invest the EJ fund into some coaching, keep filming yourself and practice with focus. You'll keep improving but it is hard work.

:devilish:Yes, you should try all those blades to find the one that will best suit your style and help you improve. Also, don't forget to try these blades:

Stiga Allround Classic
Stiga Offensive Classic
Stiga Rosewood NCT V
Butterfly Primorac
Butterfly Korbel
Butterfly Mazunov
Nittaku Violin
Nittaku Acoustic
Nittaku Tenor
Tibhar Chila OFF
Tibhar IV-S
Stiga Cybershape Wood
OSP Virtuoso +
OSP Virtuoso
Schildkroet 9000
Donic Allplay
Donic Allplay with the funky handle

Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: H3R0
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I’ve done a similar exercise and have found that the best all wood off- is Xiom off-s (which I paired with Rozena) but also liked Korbel SK-7 and Nittaku S7 for slightly stiffer feel.

For off but slightly faster I love Mazunov paired with softer 05/80fx rubbers.

Good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Keep the rubbers and thinner 7ply?

BTW your technique is great. I noticed your wrist is stationary during the stroke ( at least that is the what I think I saw on slow mo, maybe your movement is suple). You can try adding wrist to your top-spin or at least loosening a bit. That should give you ton of spin. Ti Long has a lot of training videos on that topic exactly.
To name a few:
- Tibhar Curious
- Sanwei Flextra
- Donic Dyjas Ultrapower (did not like that one that much)
- TSP SWAT (however that is called rn)
- Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro (thicker of the thinnest, can be a tad stiff)

I would aim for <= (less or) 6mm.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
My vote goes to the Status Powerwood, but Xiom Offensive S is also a good pick. Depends on if you want a larger handle with bigger headsize (SPW) or a thinner handle with standard headsize (OffS)

Jul 2014
Off s handle is fairly chunky but flat - I like it
I have had a few OffS, I like the blade but the flatness of the handle and shape of the wings were never quite to my liking. With the SPW, I feel like it fills my hand better, gives me the feeling that I don't need to grip it harder to stabilize the blade when swinging. I get the same feeling using the old brick-square Xiom straight handle styles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I actually, after using stiffer carbon blades and so for a long time with harder Chinese rubbers, glued my Yinhe Jupiter III ASIA 41deg on my Sanwei Fextra Allround, and this gave me a really good feeling and more control. This blade feels a bit more stiff than the normal 5-ply wooden blade, so it might be why it works good with my harder sponge. It could be something for you?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I've tried a Donic Appelgren, Yasaka Sweden Extra, Nittaku Acoustic, and Sanwei Fextra 7. The Fextra is by far my favorite and I'll probably stick with it for a while.

But after a lot of research, some other blades I've been wanting to try are the Tibhar Stratus Powerwood and Samsonov Force Pro (Blue), Sanwei V5 Pro, Yinhe U2, and Yinhe PD 437.

You'll notice these are thinner 7 OFF- range blades in the 6.0 to 6.4 mm thickness blades (except for the Powerwood which is a 5 ply in that range). I've determined this is the sweet spot for me in terms of being able to loop well while having a good amount of stability for blocking and driving with hard sponge tacky rubbers.

The thinner and more flexy 5 ply blades under 6.0mm I feel is maybe more suited for soft bouncy rubber and the old lighter ball. Hard to describe but with harder rubber it's as if the weight of the ball is noticeable where you feel it negatively affects your strokes on thinner blades. This is more noticeable on blocking and lower to medium power shots where the harder sponge isn't compressed and the blade absorbs a lot of the impact. With softer bouncy rubber, maybe the easier sponge compression and bounce dissipate the impact more. This is just a pet theory of mine though and I don't have the technical expertise to argue for it being accurate.

Reactions: TischTenniser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
A few things:

I love love Tibhar Stratus Power Wood. I own 8 of them so I would vote for that. No need to get ALL + blade. Your motions look good. Stick with OFF- all wood. You can upgrade to OFF later if you want to later. But to upgrade to OFF all wood blade also means that you might end up losing some touch and feel. I have both Tibhar Stratus Power Wood and Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro black edition, so I know that the latter blade is more stiff and less able to generate spin.

I might recommend, after getting used to Tibhar Stratus Power Wood, you can upgrade to an softer, inner carbon blade such as Tibhar Fortino Performance.

I would use H3 neo on the forehand and Nittaku C-1 on the backhand. You will like the touch with that combination. After you get used to C-1, upgrade to G-1 later.
No need to use wrist. Instead focus on higher motor. Meaning faster recovery and more snap to your motions.

Reactions: H3R0 and turbozed
This user has no status.
YinHe U-2 is Koto-ayous-ayous-ayous-ayous-ayous-koto. I've tried a Butterfly Power 7 (same composition) that had an amazing control and stability and was still faster than a 5ply. My coach uses that blade. It's 5.7 mm thick. I loved that feeling. Unfortunately it's been discontinued. The U2 is close to that blade but thicker and discontinued so you may end up into a fake. An alternative is U3 which has limba rather than koto and in that case I would rather go for a Clipper or the Force Pro. Otherwise Xiom Solo has Koto and it's a bit thicker than Power 7. Another Koto 7ply is DHS PG7 but its thickness makes it quite fast and likely not the same feeling of a Power 7. Actually nothing can give the feeling of a Butterfly blade, so perhaps a Korbel SK7 or Korbel 5ply made in Japan could be the best choice?

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
The most obvious choice to me would be a Stiga Clipper, it suits the chinese tacky rubbers quite well, and is way more controllable now with P ball.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi guys,

Prologue: Been using Butterfly Michael Maze FL for quite some(~7 years) . Initially , had Tenergy 05 both sides. At the moment DHS Hurricane Neo 3.

What have i realized lately? - My setup is fast. I don't get the control, ball feeling i need , especially in matches.

I have decided to try out bunch of blades, starting from ALL+, OFF- and OFF. I would be interested only in All Wood blades and preferably stick to Hard tacky chineese rubbers for sometime.

Here is what i have narrowed down:

ALL+
  1. Yasaka Sweden Extra
  2. Neottec Amagi ALL+
OFF-
  1. Darker 5P-2A
  2. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
OFF
  1. Neottec Voodoo Classic
  2. Darker Hinoki 7P-2A
  3. Nittaku Septear
  4. Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro black edition
  5. DHS Power G7
  6. Tibhar Szocs Signature 1

Here is my short training video. I am the one playing with yellow shoes and blue T-Shirt.

What am i looking for ?
Control, Ball Feeling, Less speed. Preferably continue with DHS tacky rubbers.

What's your view on the above choices? Which one would fit well?

PS: I would be buying mostly from TableTennis11

Cheers!
I see your play level is better than 90%+ of this forum. You prolly have enough in you already to make an effective choice.

There are HUNDREDS of possible choices for what you are dpoing and no single one will be wrong.
I recently did exactly what you are trying to do... gear down blade (and go soft sponge on both side) to promote more spin, instead of drive.

I bought from Table Tennis 11 too. Paid $26 USD for a Donic Persson power Play V1 ST handle (got two) and Z3 rubber ($34 each) and Aurus Soft rubber ($26 USD each).

I immediately started to play closer to what I was trying... go for heavier spin/slower speed on first attack... play more controlled counter topspins, and go for power when there, but less often.

This setup gets the job done at a very low cost.

I think you already can figure it out, but sometimes it pays to hear some others.

Reactions: NextLevel and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I see your play level is better than 90%+ of this forum. You prolly have enough in you already to make an effective choice.

There are HUNDREDS of possible choices for what you are dpoing and no single one will be wrong.
I recently did exactly what you are trying to do... gear down blade (and go soft sponge on both side) to promote more spin, instead of drive.

I bought from Table Tennis 11 too. Paid $26 USD for a Donic Persson power Play V1 ST handle (got two) and Z3 rubber ($34 each) and Aurus Soft rubber ($26 USD each).

I immediately started to play closer to what I was trying... go for heavier spin/slower speed on first attack... play more controlled counter topspins, and go for power when there, but less often.

This setup gets the job done at a very low cost.

I think you already can figure it out, but sometimes it pays to hear some others.
Donic Persson Powerplay.jpeg

My two beautiful Donic Persson Powerplay with two beat up H3 neo in the front. I am currently rotating between these two 7-ply wood blades and Gambler composite blades. Still trying to figure what I want to use in the long run.