Hammond Z2 compared to Fastarc G1

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hi, has anyone played with both of these rubbers and if so, could you give your opinion on the following please.

Is the Hammond noticeably lighter than the G1

Which one feels more linear.

Which is more comfortable close to the table.

Is either better suited to driving or flat hitting.

Does the Hammond have a much higher throw.

Thank you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I've played with both. Hammond Z2 is made by Daiki, and those rubbers are about 5 grams lighter than ESN rubbers.

Both are catapulty, so I wouldn't really describe either as linear. But G1 is less catapulty.

G1 is softer, so probably slightly more comfortable.

Both are suited for flat hitting. But Z2 is faster, so maybe shines more in flat hitting.

Not sure about the throw, but my impression is that G1 has higher throw.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi, has anyone played with both of these rubbers and if so, could you give your opinion on the following please.

Is the Hammond noticeably lighter than the G1

Which one feels more linear.

Which is more comfortable close to the table.

Is either better suited to driving or flat hitting.

Does the Hammond have a much higher throw.

Thank you.

I've played with both, but have much more time with the G1 than the Z2.

I would say they weigh about the same, but Michael Z may be right on this.

Z2 feels more linear.

G1 is more comfortable for me close to the table.

Z2 for sure for driving and flat hitting.

G1 has a higher throw.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Maybe my G1 had aged out even though the topsheet looked brand new as it was reverse domed when I removed it but in the cold unheated club I was playing at, the Hammond Z2 I tried felt a bit softer and had more reliable spin on the backhand close to the table. Might be time to pay the piper and get me some sheets of the Z2.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Thanks for your replies.

Out of interest.
If you had to choose one or the other.

Which one would it be?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Thanks for your replies.

Out of interest.

Which one would it be?

Definitely I would choose the Z2. It's the more unique rubber I think.

G1 is the very standard benchmark ESN rubber. It's basically similar to other offerings from ESN.

So it comes down to you. Do you want the more unique standout rubber, or the standard no-risk rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Thanks for your replies.

Out of interest.

Which one would it be?

For my FH - G1

For my BH - Z2

I have better, more consistent technique on my BH.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Z2 is very grippy, much more than G-1, it also feels softer.

Z2 is the first rubber to ever feel like Tenergy to me (I mean that!) but softer feeling and more forgiving, kind of in between Tenergy 05 and 05 FX in terms of hardness feel. It has that special thing Tenergy has that ESN has never gotten (although I have to try V>22 again, it gave me Z2 vibes but I could be wrong, still have to really test it), not that this makes ESN rubbers bad or anything, they're different and many players prefer them.

G-1 and the Fastarc series are very straight forward oldschool ESN's like Rakza 7 and Barracuda, no nonsense, very good and stable without the factory boosting that wears off. Z2 is more dynamic and has excellent feel and still doesn't have the factory boosting.

I think Daiki has finally figured out something only Butterfly had figured before with Tenergy and it's exciting!

To answer OP more concisely (too late!):

- Z2 feels lighter than G-1
- Z2 might be slightly more linear than G-1, if so, not by much, I can lift the ball or generate spin more easily with Z2
- They're both as comfortable close to the table but I prefer the feel of the Z2 so it seems easier
- Z2 is great at driving and flat hitting and fast, better at hitting than G-1 as a result, but that doesn't mean it's worse at looping (i think Z2 is better there too since much more grippy and dynamic), and G-1 is still good at both too
- G-1 is more stable and more forgiving, no doubt
- I obviously choose Z2, it feels better to me, softer (without being mushy), more dynamic and special without being crazy uncontrollable or spin sensitive

Hope this helps, I usually don't sing such high praises for a rubber, and the Fastarcs and Rakza 7's are typically what I recommend the most for intermediate players, but I think Z2 is top notch for high intermediates and higher.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Z2 is the first rubber to ever feel like Tenergy to me (I mean that!) but softer feeling and more forgiving, kind of in between Tenergy 05 and 05 FX in terms of hardness feel. It has that special thing Tenergy has that ESN has never gotten ...

Have you ever tried T19? From your description it sounds like Z2 might be very similar to T19.