I need a slower Viscaria alternative

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Hey,

I'm looking for a slower Viscaria alternative, Viscaria is too fast for me and I want more control.
There are some paramaters that I demand:

1. Must be a butterfly blade (I like the blades of butterfly)
2. Weight must be lower then 85 grams
3. about the same feeling as Viscaria, but more control and less speed.

I did hours of extensive research on the butterfly blade reference site:
http://butterflyonline.com/Templates/BladeSpecifications.pdf

The site lists on Reaction and Vibration, I guess less vibration is good I'm not 100% sure on that part..
So I looked for blades with similar Viscaria vibrations.

Viscaria: Reaction: 11.8 / Vibration 10.3

And it seems I got these choices:

Innerforce Layer ALC: Reaction 10.7 / Vibration : 9.4 !( 85 grams )
Everyone says this is like the Timo Boll ALC or Viscaria but with more control and feeling.
Even Dan from TTD switched to this for his first Team match he mentioned in the video.
The only fear is that it still will be to fast and that it's is a bit TOO similar to Boll ALC or Viscaria
It seemed Innerforce ALC S would be the safer choice but that was 89 Grams which is too much.

Pro's: Should be the more control alternative and slower
Con's: Price (150 € )

Timo Boll CAF: Reaction: 10.6 / Vibration: 10.4
The blade is fairly new so not many reviews on it, but the ones that are out there seem good.
Everyone says this is a control blade with the mix of wood feeling and carbon power.
Vibration is almost identical to Vicaria

Pro's: Perfect weight for me (82 grams), Lots of emphasis on control, seems slower then Innerforce ALC so no fear that it will be too fast
Con's: Not so much information,no clue on what wood types are used etc

Maze Performance: Reaction: 10.6 / Vibration: 10.2
This might seem an odd alternative since it's an all wood blade and all the above are ALC types.
But according to butterfly 's blade chart, this blade should almost feel the same as Boll CAF and has same speed.
It's almost positioned on the same spot on the chart. This is a classic blade with always great reviews. All wood composition.

Pro's: Excellent weight (81 Grams), classic blade for control,good price 70€ or less, seems to be the CAF wood counterpart
Con's: I always played with ALC blades, so I don't know wood blade would suit me

Do you guy's have advice for me on what is a good alternative to my Viscaria but a bit slower?

This user has no status.
I would recommend that you forget your Butterfly preference as custom made blades are available with a quality at least as good and with exactly the characteristic that you describe to the builder.
Have a look at the thread "SDC Handmade Blades" and make contact with Sergio via PM to discuss.

says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
All options you listed are very different to Viscaria: top Layer is Limba instead of Koto and either no fiber or inner fiber which both will make a big difference.
Boll ZLF might be an option for you:
- low weight
- Koto top ply (like Viscaria)
- outer ZLF fiber without Carbon (which makes it more controlled and softer compared to Viscaria)
- thinner

Reactions: Shifu
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes, Boll ZLF would come close. Also look at Soulspin, they make a lot of blades in that range. The owner designed the Viscaria.

With that said, why not try slower more controlled rubber first?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. I don't know that you can actually find what you are describing. But everyone feels things differently. So, it would be ideal if you tried a whole bunch of setups from people who play at the club you play at. But, with CoVID, that doesn't really seem to be an option.

And if you wanted something that really does feel like a Viscaria but slower, finding a Viscaria that is lighter might give you a Viscaria that is slower. I seen Viscarias that were as light as 79 grams.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
UpSideDownCarl said:
Yeah... And if you wanted something that really does feel like a Viscaria but slower, finding a Viscaria that is lighter might give you a Viscaria that is slower. I seen Viscarias that were as light as 79 grams.

Yup.

Remember when a forum member saw a glowing review ON TTD of a certain Andro Blade, and a forum member purchased that blade from a very reputable England TT shop... and the blade was upper 70s grams and played like an ALL+ blade?

I rememebr, that forum member handed me that blade and I agreeed it had some black hole properties.

That blade reviewed was low 90s grams... and was likely very true an OFF class blade at that weight reviewed in a vid. Dude was SO disappointed, but I had to tell him that a customer should specify weight or weight range or he might get something much different weight as wood even in the same tree is not consistent thoughout in weight.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Yinhe V14 pro is slower and feels similar to Boll ALC. It has a larger sweet spot and is a bit slower and more controllable.

The Xiom 36.5 is indeed a mote controllable Viscaria. It feels softer so sometimes it is mistaken as slower than Viscaria but it isn't. If there is a speed difference, it is very small. You will love its flex and control better.

mat

This user has no status.

mat

This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Hi, I had butterfly innerforce layer alc and when I bought itb I asked butterfly to send me lightest one, which was 82g and I had to pay this service. I had this blade for 3 years and was to fast for me... similar situation will as with your viscaria... Also, I changed rubbers on bh from butterfly 25fx to Andro hexer grip SFX. On fh butterfly 80fx. So after 3 years I sold blade and bought slower... Yasaka Sweden Extra and have same rubbers. I have it now for 6 months and definetly I like more than butterfly... Also 4 times cheaper! If I will go to slower blade I will choose yasaka sweden classic.
Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Equaaz
This user has no status.
All options you listed are very different to Viscaria: top Layer is Limba instead of Koto and either no fiber or inner fiber which both will make a big difference.
Boll ZLF might be an option for you:
- low weight
- Koto top ply (like Viscaria)
- outer ZLF fiber without Carbon (which makes it more controlled and softer compared to Viscaria)
- thinner

I also recommend this. I’ve used it before and it seems to fit what you are asking for. (It’s expensive though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Update:
I went to the table tennis store to see what was in stock. And he just had a promotion on a Primorac blade for 29 Euro. (Non Carbon version).
The handle was perfect it's good for big hands like me, Blade Weight was 83 Grams and it's ranked as one of the slower Butterfly blades. The only thing that could be a downside was that it would be too slow (It's slower then Korbel)but at least I would have a reference point then.

After about 6 hours of training with it, I can say my suspicions were right.
I made a post earlier that I had some trouble sometimes with overshooting the ball by just a few inches.
This never happened with the Primorac, every ball was on the table and the control was incredible.

The downsides were that the sound was a bit weird, I played with Carbon blades for about 20 years, and that the vibration was a lot more.
I also feel that I can handle a faster blade then this. I will keep training with this one for a few months but I will probably need to upgrade for something that is faster then Primorac and slower then Viscaria.

Like I said, I ONLY use butterfly blades so based on the suggestions here:

Innerforce Layer ALC
Timo Boll CAF
Boll ZLF

1 of these will probably be perfect for me then.
All in all I'm happy I tried the Primorac at least I have a better view on my situation now and it's fun to try an all wood blade for a change.