Is Ma Long alcoholic ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Today, we can read on different famous french websites (which normally never really talk about table tennis) the appealing title "The number one in table tennis Ma Long is" doping" with alcohol".
http://www.francetvsport.fr/tennis-...long-le-pongiste-chinois-ndeg1-mondial-347575

Here is the interesting part translated, sorry for my english : "Ma long's difficulties to handle pressure forced the head coach of the chinese team, Liu Gioliang, to find some relaxation methods for him. "For Ma long, two things are important" he detailed to AFP (Association France Presse)."The first thing is to go in a bar to drink alcohol when the pressure is too high. The second thing is to talk with him to entertain him. Ma Long drinks in moderation. The sole goal is to relax because he is imposing himself a lot of constraints"".

The others interesting things Liu Goliang said are that he thinks Ma Long is the favourite to win gold but he must pay attention to his mental and evacuate his stress. He added that table tennis in China is really considerated as the national sport, the key is the passion and the popularity of table tennis that the others countries don't succeed to reach.

It's surprising to see a coach "encouraging" his player to drink alcohol generally it's the opposite with a very strict diet. In my opinion, it's a good advice if it helps him to realx because it's in moderation but it is still surprising ! Liu Goliang seems to know perfectly each of his players and that is one of the key of the success of the CNT.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
This article looks unbelievable to my eyes. In my own world, i taught athletes from most Asian countries are strictly abstinent from Alcohol and Drugs. This is the first time I ever hear such thing. Would be glad to know if some body add something related to this article.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Maybe I am understanding this wrong. But I don't think it is a big deal if a guy goes to a bar and knocks one or two down every once in a while to relax.

Alcohol is not a performance enhancing drug. He is not an alcoholic if he has a drink or a beer every so often. Otherwise Der_Echte and I would be in trouble.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Here, in Germany, we have small bar within ourclub atleast in my old club where we used to knock off one or two beers after play. It relaxes along with good conversation but can live without it as well

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
This article looks unbelievable to my eyes. In my own world, i taught athletes from most Asian countries are strictly abstinent from Alcohol and Drugs. This is the first time I ever hear such thing. Would be glad to know if some body add something related to this article.
I don't know if it is true, but I heard that many Chinese pros up to the national level smoke a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Yeah -> Smoker Ma Lin :)

Somebody told me that is the reason he used to take so much time during the game , trying to gasp for breath ... I don't know if the last part is true ...

And Timo in an interview told that he had gone out drinking with a group of CNT players including Wang Liqin , the next day while Timo took it lighter to preven injury , Wang Liqin practiced like nothing happened ..
I don't know if it is true, but I heard that many Chinese pros up to the national level smoke a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
96XCVAr.jpg

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
I have heard it said that some very good, top players, mix a tipple into their drink/waterbottle before really big matches to calm down nerves. Dont know how true though.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Maybe I am understanding this wrong. But I don't think it is a big deal if a guy goes to a bar and knocks one or two down every once in a while to relax.

Alcohol is not a performance enhancing drug. He is not an alcoholic if he has a drink or a beer every so often. Otherwise Der_Echte and I would be in trouble.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

True, but none of our mission had beer drinking, we were fighting Goon Squads and making arrangements for the juice shop. Wait a minute, I had two Corona beers at 40 n Back Painz club that mission last year.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
After trying to decipher the article with my abysmal french skills and a mediocre google translation I came to the conclusion that the title is about as misleading as it could possibly have been.

Alcohol categorizes as a drug, but is far from doping as far as I'm concerned, since it does not enhance the performance.

Then again, as mentioned before it's kind of common practise in germany to get together in the nearby restaurant/inn/pub and drink a beer or two with the opponents after the game and I would be lying if I say that I've never heard the phrase "Bet I would've won the game if I had the drink before ..." :D

It honestly speaks volumes about his refined technique and athletic performance if the biggest concern lies with the mental state and the nerves - that's the only criticism you ever hear about him or his game. Everyone has a crutch in one way or another, and alcohol and nicotine are two very popular ones in our society.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
How did you get this idea ? Genetics has nothing to do with addiction, and before the sky starts falling "I have nothing against a couple of social drinks" ... if you are trying to literally take the definition of an alcoholic where alcohol induces a reverse effect on the abuser than a regular social drinker .. its too complex a subject and the blanket statement does not do justice to that ... see alcohol has been traditionally used by coaches to relax atheletes .. if you read into the history of sprinters ... or even see older movies about boxers , coaches used to feed the atheletes a couple of shots to relax their nerves .. this is nothing new and I don't think it counts as doping as per international rules ..
Well, a lot of people (especially in China) can drink a lot and not become alcoholic...