Ma Long or Zhang Jike, who 's your stake?

Who will win this showdown?

• Ma Long

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 15 42.9%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi guys, since the party ends by midnight. Let's express our open support to whom we want to win and take that gold medal home. Personally, I want Zhang jike to win and see a new double grand slam champion. Share yours, there is exactly 8 hours to go :)

Lan

says ahh that sucks, thamks for writing back though:)

Lan

says ahh that sucks, thamks for writing back though:)
Jan 2011
4- 3 Ma Long

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I love the way ZJK plays when he is playing for keeps. So it is not that I dislike how he plays. I honestly feel that, from a technique standpoint, he is better than anyone else. But I don't like the way he shows up to some tournaments and looks half asleep and bored and doesn't seem to try.

I love that ML leaves his heart on the court in every match win or lose.

But I still am hoping for a Samsonov vs Aruna Gold Medal Match. [emoji2]

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: fais and Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Im gonna try and describe my overall impression of both players since 2008. I knew ma long since 2006 and was a huge fan since then but ZJK overall explosive technique and character made me empathize more as a player.

ok ML fans are gonna start abusing me for this...BUT

ZJK is better overall regardless the result today, anything can happen I wouldnt be surprised if ma long wins 4-0.

Judging by their encounters from 2010 trials where ZJK breaked through against ma long:

My pov is that ZJK is more complete player in terms of overall technique, its not just the BH that varies so much but also his sneaky pushes and serves. He has stronger core and legs than ma long, probably dna + hard training from his father since age 4., He is definitely the best in close to the table explosive play both FH and BH, only FZD can match him on that game and possibly beat him convincingly on that aspect of TT

Ma Long relies on his tactics/fantasy flexibility and adapting to the opponent individually. He borrows his opponent's strengths and uses them against him, even in topspin rallies (thats not my conclusion but ZJK'S thoughts in an interview), definitely not as explosive as ZJK but he will be remembered as the most flexible FH in TT history.

Does not perform well under pressure, but he seems that his fighting spirit is much better now, the match against mizutani showed that, I strongly believe that mizu's comeback was much closer than it may appeared for a 4-3 upset.

All in all before 2010, zjk couldnt handle ma long's variation and got his ass kicked countless times (till then I think he only won one junior match against ma long in 2003 and after that ma long got like 10-11 straight wins in official matches, superleague matches counted also), after that game (2010 chinese trials) and of course being more confident ZJK found out how to neutralize ma long's opening play and took the initiative. In crucial points in important matches (im not talking about pro tours...) ma long was definitely more hesitant and ZJK knew this so he "trolled" him with serve receive many times and with his exquisit BH flick.

Ma long has a very good chance if he dont hesitates at all and just goes for it no matter the outcome, that is ZJK's mentality that brought him all the titles faster than anyone on the same technical level. Basically that's the mentality to reach the top, take it point by point and give it your best, nerves are normal, hell even ZJK was so eager to win in 2011 that he almost lost the 6th set against wang hao being 10-5 got trolled hard by wang hao to 10-10 but managed to break through.

Mentally ZJK is more solid and has already the experience of so many won close finals including olympics. I strongly believe that zhang A game is winning against ML A game hands down, results on important matches show that. But enough with the theory lets see what happens

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Two players, different style, different mentality. But IMO they are equal. Nobody knows who will win. There are things what I like and dislike in both player. I simply can't decide. My family said that ZJK will win so I voted for him, but really dunno...
I don't want any of them win over the other.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Two players, different style, different mentality. But IMO they are equal. Nobody knows who will win. There are things what I like and dislike in both player. I simply can't decide. My family said that ZJK will win so I voted for him, but really dunno...
I don't want any of them win over the other.

I like this post. I feel the same.

It will be fun to watch though.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
If Ma Long focus and play with backhand more than forehand, Then Zhang Jike will Win, otherwise Ma Long will Win.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'm really in two minds about this.
If I try to imagine the possible character of their upcoming game, I can see a ZJK who stays cooler than ML, and by maintaining his better composure, is able to have a good control over ML's game, what breaks down ML's confidence and ZJK eventually clinches the title and becomes the most achieved TT player ever.
On the other hand, I can see a ML who proves that he has become mentally strong enough to successfully deal with the pressure, what comes from the fact that this might be his only chance to achieve that grand slam, in a the most anticipated match of the whole TT world. A ML whose determination to win is strong enough to stand up against even a ZJK on a good day.

I voted on ZJK, but I'm neutral and want to see a good match. Either would deserve the title.