Moon Speed 53 vs Moon Pro

This user has no status.
So as i have tested both rubbers for several weeks now, i just want to give a little insight and my thoughts to these rubbers.
As i am busy now watching Star Contender i dont want to go too much into the details of these rubbers so i will just compare some key points.

Both rubbers are pretty linear and i had little to no problem transitioning to them and between those.
Both have similar bounce and speed capabilities, though i would say the Moon Speed (MS) have a little edge over the Moon Pro (MP) in this department.
Both are easy to control. You can block and even chop really well with it. Counterattacks and punches are really good to execute.

The main issue for a good general comparison is, that i both used for my bh and i must say that the MS is not really made for bh usage imo. The reason for that is, that the topsheet of the MS is too hard but the rubber overall doesnt give in enough. The arc is too low and the throwangle is medium low, so flicks and stronger topspins are a pain in the ass. You can loop with it quite well, but everything else is damn hard to execute.
Arc of MP is not ideal but manageable and probably even better if you pick it in the soft version (mine was medium).
So up until this time i dont feel quite comfortable flicking with MP. I can do it quite often, but i dont feel confident in doing so. It is like the ball flies of the rubber a little too early, so i have issues tweaking the technique due to lack of feedback.

Overall the MP is way better for bh either way.
MS does a way better job on fh. Every shot is way more dangerous, than on bh. The arc becomes better due to the harder impact i suppose and the lower throwangle isnt an issue anymore. But i cant quite compare it to anything really, because i switched sides for some minutes, but it instantly felt like a decent rubber, while i seriously struggled to create high quility shots on bh with it.

For the MP, it gets kinda close to H8 37° boosted. H8 gets bouncier though and is easier to attack with close to the table. On the other hand MP is better to control in blocks and pushes. Counterattacks feel similar, though H8 is a bit more dangerous overall imo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I enjoyed the Moon Speed Soft (35deg) rubber the most of all the Moon series, and I believe due to lack of glue at that time I used speedglue to glue it on but not before using it, like probably a day before using it.
So I am not sure if the speedglue made the difference even after 24 hours or the sponge can contain the gasses so well. BTW it was a used sheet, but still in good nick.
In my experience the Moon Speed soft is a very enjoyable BH rubber that used to hit way above its price class before all the law makers and lobbyists started to make Aliexpress' life much more difficult.
But still it's a good rubber.

This user has no status.
I enjoyed the Moon Speed Soft (35deg) rubber the most of all the Moon series, and I believe due to lack of glue at that time I used speedglue to glue it on but not before using it, like probably a day before using it.
So I am not sure if the speedglue made the difference even after 24 hours or the sponge can contain the gasses so well. BTW it was a used sheet, but still in good nick.
In my experience the Moon Speed soft is a very enjoyable BH rubber that used to hit way above its price class before all the law makers and lobbyists started to make Aliexpress' life much more difficult.
But still it's a good rubber.

Moon Speed and Moon Speed 53 are two different rubbers though. I am not so sure how much they differ though, hence i never played with the normal Moon Speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Moon Speed and Moon Speed 53 are two different rubbers though. I am not so sure how much they differ though, hence i never played with the normal Moon Speed.
Moon Speed soft has 49-004 ITTF approval code, does the 53 have different?
For sure the sponges are different, I am with you on that and their release date is like 7-8 years apart so the sponge should be different.
If you have the enthusiasm to try the soft version I would love to hear your thoughts. I saw your vid for the 729 battle 2 and I saw the shortcomings of that rubber from your play so I trust your insight.

• Wow
Reactions: Attitude
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
So as i have tested both rubbers for several weeks now, i just want to give a little insight and my thoughts to these rubbers.
As i am busy now watching Star Contender i dont want to go too much into the details of these rubbers so i will just compare some key points.

Both rubbers are pretty linear and i had little to no problem transitioning to them and between those.
Both have similar bounce and speed capabilities, though i would say the Moon Speed (MS) have a little edge over the Moon Pro (MP) in this department.
Both are easy to control. You can block and even chop really well with it. Counterattacks and punches are really good to execute.

The main issue for a good general comparison is, that i both used for my bh and i must say that the MS is not really made for bh usage imo. The reason for that is, that the topsheet of the MS is too hard but the rubber overall doesnt give in enough. The arc is too low and the throwangle is medium low, so flicks and stronger topspins are a pain in the ass. You can loop with it quite well, but everything else is damn hard to execute.
Arc of MP is not ideal but manageable and probably even better if you pick it in the soft version (mine was medium).
So up until this time i dont feel quite comfortable flicking with MP. I can do it quite often, but i dont feel confident in doing so. It is like the ball flies of the rubber a little too early, so i have issues tweaking the technique due to lack of feedback.

Overall the MP is way better for bh either way.
MS does a way better job on fh. Every shot is way more dangerous, than on bh. The arc becomes better due to the harder impact i suppose and the lower throwangle isnt an issue anymore. But i cant quite compare it to anything really, because i switched sides for some minutes, but it instantly felt like a decent rubber, while i seriously struggled to create high quility shots on bh with it.

For the MP, it gets kinda close to H8 37° boosted. H8 gets bouncier though and is easier to attack with close to the table. On the other hand MP is better to control in blocks and pushes. Counterattacks feel similar, though H8 is a bit more dangerous overall imo.
But this can't be the Moon Pro Hard, right? Is it the Medium or Soft perhaps?

This user has no status.
Moon Speed soft has 49-004 ITTF approval code, does the 53 have different?
For sure the sponges are different, I am with you on that and their release date is like 7-8 years apart so the sponge should be different.
If you have the enthusiasm to try the soft version I would love to hear your thoughts. I saw your vid for the 729 battle 2 and I saw the shortcomings of that rubber from your play so I trust your insight.
Hm it actually has the same code. Maybe im wrong and it IS more the sponge which makes this rubber way harder. But it just felt off right on touch on my bh.

Wait, are you trying to be polite here?^^ Because for me there arent serious shortcomings of my current B2 BS. More like shortcomings of my own abilities.

Havent really planned to go further down the Yinhe Moon rabbithole because the difference between H8 boosted and Moon pro is too low, therefore ill probably go back to H8 soon.

I plan on revisiting H8-80 and see if i can control it now. My biggest issue right now is, that my FZD ALC is starting to suffer because of all these tests and rubber switches. The first edge just lost his woodlayer so some milimeters of the rubber is sitting on the carbon^^. If that keeps up i will have to switch the blade as well, which will pull me back quite hard. Gonna test if i can make an inner carbon blade work. If that will be the case after a week or so, the issue will be diminished, but i dunno.
And if that is the case i can test even more again. Otherwise ill probably stick with outer ALC blades for longer, but with a different, more cheaper blade like the Pro 01, because i wont pay 180€ everytime the carbon kicks out his toplayer^^

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I'd also like to thank @Attitude.

Between Moon 12 Blue and Moon Pro, which rubber would you rather use for the BH?

Is the speed difference significant with Moon Pro on higher effort shots? I remember you saying the lack of pace was the major drawback of Moon 12 Blue.

Yeah Moon Pro is definitly faster on higher effort shots. If you are already capable of flicking and topspinning with your bh and you attacks come back way too often for comfort, i would definitly go for the Moon Pro or even H8-80 which i will revisit as mentioned.

Exactly the Moon Blue 12 can do literally everything, but not really fast^^
Never played with a rubber that had such a huge room for error.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Hm it actually has the same code. Maybe im wrong and it IS more the sponge which makes this rubber way harder. But it just felt off right on touch on my bh.

Wait, are you trying to be polite here?^^ Because for me there arent serious shortcomings of my current B2 BS. More like shortcomings of my own abilities.

Havent really planned to go further down the Yinhe Moon rabbithole because the difference between H8 boosted and Moon pro is too low, therefore ill probably go back to H8 soon.

I plan on revisiting H8-80 and see if i can control it now. My biggest issue right now is, that my FZD ALC is starting to suffer because of all these tests and rubber switches. The first edge just lost his woodlayer so some milimeters of the rubber is sitting on the carbon^^. If that keeps up i will have to switch the blade as well, which will pull me back quite hard. Gonna test if i can make an inner carbon blade work. If that will be the case after a week or so, the issue will be diminished, but i dunno.
And if that is the case i can test even more again. Otherwise ill probably stick with outer ALC blades for longer, but with a different, more cheaper blade like the Pro 01, because i wont pay 180€ everytime the carbon kicks out his toplayer^^
You can putty the edges of the racket, where the top veneer broke off, with putty on wood. The surface will be smooth, there will be no cracks and vibrations from non-glued rubber. Look in hardware stores for ready-made putties in a jar or tube, you can pick up the color of the tree.
It is desirable to treat the upper veneer of the racket with a thin layer of varnish. If there is no varnish, then you can even use spray hairspray, this will prevent the veneer from coming off when the rubber is removed.

This user has no status.
You can putty the edges of the racket, where the top veneer broke off, with putty on wood. The surface will be smooth, there will be no cracks and vibrations from non-glued rubber. Look in hardware stores for ready-made putties in a jar or tube, you can pick up the color of the tree.
It is desirable to treat the upper veneer of the racket with a thin layer of varnish. If there is no varnish, then you can even use spray hairspray, this will prevent the veneer from coming off when the rubber is removed.
I did seal the blade twice though. But i have this blade for 3/4 of a year and now and played like 8 different rubbers on it. On top my blade kissed the edge of the table once now which hurt the upper edge a lot. But ill look into the putty thing and check if i can prolong its life a bit more^^

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
I did seal the blade twice though. But i have this blade for 3/4 of a year and now and played like 8 different rubbers on it. On top my blade kissed the edge of the table once now which hurt the upper edge a lot. But ill look into the putty thing and check if i can prolong its life a bit more^^
In the era of fast glue, rubber bands were re-glued before each workout. The veneer should not come off because of this, another thing is the properties of the glue with which you glue the rubber, it may be very tenacious

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I only had the option of Medium and soft. Mine is the medium one.
Ah ok. Then I understand. I have had both hard and medium, and the difference between these two are quite big. The hard version I could easily use as a replacement for Hurricane 3 or Battle II on my forehand, while the medium feels more like a backhand rubber for me, with a quite soft sponge.

Reactions: Choosikick