New / up and coming Taiwanese players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Well, officially according to IOC/ITTF Taiwan needs to be called Chinese Taipei in sports (because of you know who), so I won't go into politics.
But the players are made in Taiwan :)

Why I am starting this post?
I have friends (lots of them) in the national federation and national coaching team.
They are very busy with the playing of the sport and I think not enough is done on international PR (and a big chunk of it is due to language barrier related too, I guess)

With Taiwan's improved and positive PR over the years for various reason, table tennis results is certainly part of the positive one.
So I will share some new names for you, and hopefully these names won't be strangers to you when they surface in the world rankings.

Happy to answer questions.

I will post each player in its own post

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Player: Feng Yi-Hsin (male)
DOB: 1 Jan 2003
Blade: Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS H3 National blue sponge
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 Hard

Sen WR: 95
U19: 14
Year to date win/loss: 70%

His ranking will become higher, as he didnt play much international last year and early this year due to covid restrictions on travel.

I recall he was top 10 most of the time in junior WR for the past few years.
He is part of a team where I have close connections. I had the chance to feed multiball to him and at age 15 then, I was amazed with his speed on the table. Especially with the "surprise" feeds. He got there with full force.

A very quiet kid and with very good upbringing.
I helped the coaches and took care of the team once during an overseas trip (all I did was, NOTHING, for the kid) and the parents insist to thank me and invited me for dinner.
Till this day, I still don't know why they thanking me for, but this just shows me, they are very well mannered family.
I won't go too much into who the parents are.

The player:
Just today - he beat Franziska and gave his team 2 points to win 3-1. German news article here =detail&tx_news_pi1[controller]=News&tx_news_pi1[news]=240&cHash=20d4ad18919202f3f36d004e9822c283&fbclid=IwAR1NzQNIrBw5feyP3Y2CGAejM19T8Ov-W7XIrXScFRboeeLZGQllIJEotYw]

On international front, he has wins before over:
MONTEIRO Joao (POR)
UDA Yukiya (JPN)
CHO Seungmin (KOR)
WANG Yang (SVK)
ZELJKO Filip (CRO)
ZENG Beixun (CHN)
KEINATH Thomas (SVK)
CHEN Yuanyu (CHN)
CAO Yantao (CHN)
LIN Shidong (CHN)
LIANG Guodong (CHN)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Well, officially according to IOC/ITTF Taiwan needs to be called Chinese Taipei in sports (because of you know who), so I won't go into politics.

I have friends (lots of them) in the national federation and national coaching team.
They are very busy with the playing of the sport and I think not enough is done on international PR (and a big chunk of it is due to language barrier related too, I guess)

With Taiwan's improved and positive PR over the years for various reason, table tennis results is certainly part of the positive one.
So I will share some new names for you, and hopefully these names won't be strangers to you when they surface in the world rankings.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. As more and more Korean and Japanese players adopt H3 National, I am not aware of any professional Taiwan players using H3. Is H3 popular in Taiwan national team?

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Sorry for hijacking the thread. As more and more Korean and Japanese players adopt H3 National, I am not aware of any professional Taiwan players using H3. Is H3 popular in Taiwan national team?

Hi there,
Not hijacking at all, I'm happy to answer any questions that I have answers to, and if I don't have answers, then I will try and get it. Plus your question is relevant to the topic, and I have just added the equipment details to the player and will do so with future players being added

Firstly, Taiwan is very heavily Japanese influence. From cars, appliances, consumer electronics etc, so it is no different for table tennis.
Butterfly and Nittaku own the market in Taiwan.

In the "pro" part, all your main players are sponsored by Butterfly, and a few by Nittaku.
Contractually, I'm not sure if they are locked in on rubber usage, but I do know the main players are all using Butterfly rubbers (Chuang CY, Lin YJ, Cheng IC, Chen SZ, Chen CA- yes he is no longer sponsored by Tibhar)
Come down a knot to U19 level, especially boys, there is a lot more DHS blue sponge for FH.

For example, the high school team Feng is part of (of which he still train there - yes, the high school team is way stronger and structured than his university team), around 70% to 80% of the players using H3 on FH, the others are Butterfly and 1 is Xiom (sponsored).
The U19 girls part, is is mostly Butterfly or Nittaku (sponsored players).

A lot of the national players are Butterfly sponsored - have special custom blades for example, but they are not listed on Butterfly's website as sponsored.
When I say alot, I can think maybe 20 or 30 of them, including former players who are still active, but don't really compete internationally any more.

I just check with Feng's coach. He is Butterfly sponsored. Using Viscaria + H3 National BS + T05 Hard

Last edited:
Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
Under the laws of the region I reside in, I must now show outrage: How dare you have a different opinion than the one I was taught! I will cyber bully you into changing your mind about politics. The capitalist schemes will never work!
Now that’s out of the way, do these players get their H3s from DHS directly, or do they buy them at the store?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Under the laws of the region I reside in, I must now show outrage:
Now that’s out of the way, do these players get their H3s from DHS directly, or do they buy them at the store?

HAHAHA
all good, I do know as per law, you need to speak what they want you to speak - so you won't be locked up and given cultural education lessons for being polluted by the west.
So I will go into a big argument with you now, and you defend the views of your bosses to show that you are patriotic and will attack Taiwan to protect the integrity of the people in Taiwan that is polluted by the west and blah blah blah, and okay, lets go back to table tennis.

These people - the school team with senior and junior high, amount to almost 60 players.
Say a good 50 of them use H3 and they go through min 1 sheet a month.
I know they buy in the hundreds every time (across different specs obviously).

They are very well connected with Chinese provincial and national coaches (many of them go and coach at this school over the years), for example LYJ previous coach coach at this school before coaching Lin.
So connection via high profile coaches is really strong.

And then the Taiwanese DHS dealer can also provide stock (especially these few years, supply chain for national versions via normal dealers is very easy now)

Last edited:
Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Hi there,
Not hijacking at all, I'm happy to answer any questions that I have answers to, and if I don't have answers, then I will try and get it. Plus your question is relevant to the topic, and I have just added the equipment details to the player and will do so with future players being added

Firstly, Taiwan is very heavily Japanese influence. From cars, appliances, consumer electronics etc, so it is no different for table tennis.
Butterfly and Nittaku own the market in Taiwan.

In the "pro" part, all your main players are sponsored by Butterfly, and a few by Nittaku.
Contractually, I'm not sure if they are locked in on rubber usage, but I do know the main players are all using Butterfly rubbers (Chuang CY, Lin YJ, Cheng IC, Chen SZ, Chen CA- yes he is no longer sponsored by Tibhar)
Come down a knot to U19 level, especially boys, there is a lot more DHS blue sponge for FH.

For example, the high school team Feng is part of (of which he still train there - yes, the high school team is way stronger and structured than his university team), around 70% to 80% of the players using H3 on FH, the others are Butterfly and 1 is Xiom (sponsored).
The U19 girls part, is is mostly Butterfly or Nittaku (sponsored players).

A lot of the national players are Butterfly sponsored - have special custom blades for example, but they are not listed on Butterfly's website as sponsored.
When I say alot, I can think maybe 20 or 30 of them, including former players who are still active, but don't really compete internationally any more.

I just check with Feng's coach. He is Butterfly sponsored. Using Viscaria + H3 National BS + T05 Hard

Thanks for the information.

This user has no status.

HAHAHA
all good, I do know as per law, you need to speak what they want you to speak - so you won't be locked up and given cultural education lessons for being polluted by the west.
So I will go into a big argument with you now, and you defend the views of your bosses to show that you are patriotic and will attack Taiwan to protect the integrity of the people in Taiwan that is polluted by the west and blah blah blah, and okay, lets go back to table tennis.

These people - the school team with senior and junior high, amount to almost 60 players.
Say a good 50 of them use H3 and they go through min 1 sheet a month.
I know they buy in the hundreds every time (across different specs obviously).

They are very well connected with Chinese provincial and national coaches (many of them go and coach at this school over the years), for example LYJ previous coach coach at this school before coaching Lin.
So connection via high profile coaches is really strong.

And then the Taiwanese DHS dealer can also provide stock (especially these few years, supply chain for national versions via normal dealers is very easy now)

Noice

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Tony,

I want to ask you, are these Taiwanese player, in our opinion plays a more Chinese style, European style, Japanese style of TT? Or do they play a distinct style that is Taiwanese? Also in your view, their TT philosophy is Asian / Euro / Japanese?

If you think there is no such thing as Euro / Jap / Chinese style and I am purely imagining stuff, you can also tell me that. I want the truth and nothing but the truth.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Tony,

I want to ask you, are these Taiwanese player, in our opinion plays a more Chinese style, European style, Japanese style of TT? Or do they play a distinct style that is Taiwanese? Also in your view, their TT philosophy is Asian / Euro / Japanese?

If you think there is no such thing as Euro / Jap / Chinese style and I am purely imagining stuff, you can also tell me that. I want the truth and nothing but the truth.

A mix between Japanese and Chinese style.

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
I will be visiting Taiwan later this year, between Christmas and New Year, is there a TT league where I can watch these players compete/train or even have a sneaky hit myself?

I will be spending 3 days in Taipei and 3 days in Kaohsiung.

Hopefully they will be foreigner friendly seeing I don’t speak mandarin, though my travelling companions are fluent but are not that TT-passionate.

It will be amazing to see first hand how much power they can generate and their footwork speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I will be visiting Taiwan later this year, between Christmas and New Year, is there a TT league where I can watch these players compete/train or even have a sneaky hit myself?

I will be spending 3 days in Taipei and 3 days in Kaohsiung.

Hopefully they will be foreigner friendly seeing I don’t speak mandarin, though my travelling companions are fluent but are not that TT-passionate.

It will be amazing to see first hand how much power they can generate and their footwork speed.
Hey ZFT

You should add me on FB (lets talk on pm if you want).

Taiwan has no league (sadly), there is only tournaments.
The big tournament is national senior trials between 10 Dec to 16 Dec. That will be a joy to watch.
Currently I don't see any "national" tournaments after that.

We can chat off ttd and maybe closer towards the time I can check how things can fit in for you

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023

I follow the Bundesliga, Feng performs very well there, a very promising player. Didn't know they were from Taiwan, thanks for the info. I also like the defender Yuto Miramutsu there, in my opinion he is from Japan.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Player: Feng Yi-Hsin (male)
DOB: 1 Jan 2003
Blade: Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS H3 National blue sponge
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 Hard

Sen WR: 95
U19: 14
Year to date win/loss: 70%

His ranking will become higher, as he didnt play much international last year and early this year due to covid restrictions on travel.

I recall he was top 10 most of the time in junior WR for the past few years.
He is part of a team where I have close connections. I had the chance to feed multiball to him and at age 15 then, I was amazed with his speed on the table. Especially with the "surprise" feeds. He got there with full force.

A very quiet kid and with very good upbringing.
I helped the coaches and took care of the team once during an overseas trip (all I did was, NOTHING, for the kid) and the parents insist to thank me and invited me for dinner.
Till this day, I still don't know why they thanking me for, but this just shows me, they are very well mannered family.
I won't go too much into who the parents are.

The player:
Just today - he beat Franziska and gave his team 2 points to win 3-1. German news article here =detail&tx_news_pi1[controller]=News&tx_news_pi1[news]=240&cHash=20d4ad18919202f3f36d004e9822c283&fbclid=IwAR1NzQNIrBw5feyP3Y2CGAejM19T8Ov-W7XIrXScFRboeeLZGQllIJEotYw]

On international front, he has wins before over:
MONTEIRO Joao (POR)
UDA Yukiya (JPN)
CHO Seungmin (KOR)
WANG Yang (SVK)
ZELJKO Filip (CRO)
ZENG Beixun (CHN)
KEINATH Thomas (SVK)
CHEN Yuanyu (CHN)
CAO Yantao (CHN)
LIN Shidong (CHN)
LIANG Guodong (CHN)
So Feng failed to make the national team during the 2023 trials in Dec of 2022.
Happy to say, for 2024, Feng made the national team in the first round (there is 6 rounds to choose 12 players), and 1 spot for national champion and up to 3 spot for WR50 or better ranking (Lin, Chung, Kao)

sadly with lack of point gain in 2023 due to non participation, Feng will need to start afresh. With his 2022 points, he actually went as high as 50 something.
he has again perform pretty promising in Germany.

So people say Feng is just like HT, who is too aggressive.
hopefully his "failure" in the 2023 team trials have matured him a bit for 2024.

Reactions: PaddyPolar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
Thanks for this post as it is a lot of great info.
How do they select national team in Taiwan? I know in China they have trials then training camp then if you make it to the team, you'll participate in closed training and the coaches will watch you closely.

Ma Long got picked by Beijing Team when he was 12, then made his way to the National team. In China if you could make it to the Beijing team, the national training camp is just 5 min drive away.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for this post as it is a lot of great info.
How do they select national team in Taiwan? I know in China they have trials then training camp then if you make it to the team, you'll participate in closed training and the coaches will watch you closely.

Ma Long got picked by Beijing Team when he was 12, then made his way to the National team. In China if you could make it to the Beijing team, the national training camp is just 5 min drive away.
hi Superbackhand,

Taiwan has 3 ways to get into the national team (which is done on an annual basis)

1) Top 3 players in the world ranking higher than Top 50 (Lin, Chuang, Kao and Cheng qualified)
2) national champion (from the national table tennis championships)
3) national trials (on going and will finish tomorrow morning), where it is 6 rounds of KO and basically 2 players to qualify per round (up to 12 players)

National team means, one can play internationals next year.

CNT is very different.
firstly, there is 2 national teams, and there are many national training centers throughout the country. The more famous venue is Wang Nan's one, Weihei Nanhai in Shandong (many recent tournaments were hosted there too)

so you get the junior national team and senior national team, namely 2nd team and 1st team.
provincial A team members (these will only be juniors/cadets) will get invited for training camps with 2nd team members, and then coaches will be scouting for the future there, and then few players could be invited to stay and become a 2nd team member.
and from there, you need to work your way up to 1st team.
2nd team is predominately junior team and when you get too old and you can't go up, you will go out.
In CNT, once you in, you are in, until you are told to go out.
I heard from some sources that CNT is actually starting to get players in much earlier, before 14~15 used to be the average, now I've heard that it is 12~14. And for an interesting fact, Miwa took part in one of the national 2nd team training camps when she was 12 years old. there was no player under the age of 16 that was able to beat her.

In Taiwan, it is an annual selection and players decides who get chosen - by performing in public view tournament, So it is very different with CNT where everything is closed doors.

Once you make the national team in Taiwan - you can move to the national training center and have all expense covered while there and international trips etc will also be covered to an certain extent.
Some players actually choose not to be based there, ie Lin and Chuang, as they prefer to train by themselves.
So rules do get bent with certain negotiations.
Lin is in Ilan, while Chuang is only 15 mins drive away at his a TT center named after him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
hi Superbackhand,

Taiwan has 3 ways to get into the national team (which is done on an annual basis)

1) Top 3 players in the world ranking higher than Top 50 (Lin, Chuang, Kao and Cheng qualified)
2) national champion (from the national table tennis championships)
3) national trials (on going and will finish tomorrow morning), where it is 6 rounds of KO and basically 2 players to qualify per round (up to 12 players)

National team means, one can play internationals next year.

CNT is very different.
firstly, there is 2 national teams, and there are many national training centers throughout the country. The more famous venue is Wang Nan's one, Weihei Nanhai in Shandong (many recent tournaments were hosted there too)

so you get the junior national team and senior national team, namely 2nd team and 1st team.
provincial A team members (these will only be juniors/cadets) will get invited for training camps with 2nd team members, and then coaches will be scouting for the future there, and then few players could be invited to stay and become a 2nd team member.
and from there, you need to work your way up to 1st team.
2nd team is predominately junior team and when you get too old and you can't go up, you will go out.
In CNT, once you in, you are in, until you are told to go out.
I heard from some sources that CNT is actually starting to get players in much earlier, before 14~15 used to be the average, now I've heard that it is 12~14. And for an interesting fact, Miwa took part in one of the national 2nd team training camps when she was 12 years old. there was no player under the age of 16 that was able to beat her.

In Taiwan, it is an annual selection and players decides who get chosen - by performing in public view tournament, So it is very different with CNT where everything is closed doors.

Once you make the national team in Taiwan - you can move to the national training center and have all expense covered while there and international trips etc will also be covered to an certain extent.
Some players actually choose not to be based there, ie Lin and Chuang, as they prefer to train by themselves.
So rules do get bent with certain negotiations.
Lin is in Ilan, while Chuang is only 15 mins drive away at his a TT center named after him.
wonderful info - thanks for these gems.
I heard LYJ hired a coach from China to train specifically BH - at first the info was Jike's coach but it wasn't correct - it was one of the coaches in the same training center (ZJK's coach was one of them).

Do you know more about this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
wonderful info - thanks for these gems.
I heard LYJ hired a coach from China to train specifically BH - at first the info was Jike's coach but it wasn't correct - it was one of the coaches in the same training center (ZJK's coach was one of them).

Do you know more about this?
you are welcome

Lin had 3 Chinese coaches recently

The one you talking about is Qi Ge, who was a former CNT A team coach, Shandong coach and Shandung Luneng coach (where ZJK is from). Other than training ZJK, he has also trained LGL and KLH, so he is very famous. Lin's backhand was heavily developed under Qi Ge's time.

Qi Ge actually retired to treat his illness and was recommended to move to Taiwan for the treatment/recovery by a former Shangdong coach, who also lives in Taiwan and someone I have a good relationship with. This coach also arranged all 3 Chinese coaches for Lin.
Due to poor health, Qi Ge went back into retirement.

Next coach after Qi Ge was featured in Adam's bobrow video, of which I explains here

The current coach is another CNT/JNT formal player Wei Chinguan/Iseki Seiko, whom was also once the head coach of JNT.