Replacing old(!) rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Hi,

it's my first post here, nice website and forum!

I currently own an old (20+ yrs) Butterfly Primorac-an -off. The rubbers on this blade (Sriver FX and Tackiness-D) are dead. So, as I am considering to re-enter the sport, I was thinking about replacing the rubbers and I am looking for advice. Which rubbers to start off again. The problem is, I am used to speed glue which gave much life to the forementioned rubbers.

My team and I were okayish in the day, we used to play "national-c" in the Netherlands. But it's been years ago, so muscle memory might be fading a bit. Although I assume that after a few weeks technique will come back. So I am not a regular first timer and thus looking for decent rubbers. (Might even need to replace the blade, slightly worried about peeling of these old ones).
I am looking into Tenergy and Dignics as I feel like they come close to the old rubbers with speed glue. Otherwise I could go for new versions of the forementioned rubbers, but I might miss (my so beloved!) speed glue.

Thanx in advance for the advice(s).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi,

it's my first post here, nice website and forum!

I currently own an old (20+ yrs) Butterfly Primorac-an -off. The rubbers on this blade (Sriver FX and Tackiness-D) are dead. So, as I am considering to re-enter the sport, I was thinking about replacing the rubbers and I am looking for advice. Which rubbers to start off again. The problem is, I am used to speed glue which gave much life to the forementioned rubbers.

My team and I were okayish in the day, we used to play "landelijk-c" in the Netherlands. But it's been years ago, so muscle memory might be fading a bit. Although I assume that after a few weeks technique will come back. So I am not a regular first timer and thus looking for decent rubbers. (Might even need to replace the blade, slightly worried about peeling of these old ones).
I am looking into Tenergy and Dignics as I feel like they come close to the old rubbers with speed glue. Otherwise I could go for new versions of the forementioned rubbers, but I might miss (my so beloved!) speed glue.

Thanx in advance for the advice(s).

Hi there

always good to hear people returning back into the sport.

Tenergy 05 is the new sriver and has been for over a decade.
Dignics isn't as popular and easy to use. Tenergy 05 you won't go wrong.

If you don't want the hassle, then get a new blade.
But i suspect with some patience, you can take off those old rubbers and reuse that blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

Hi,

I thought the Dignics was actually popular? Not that popularity is a reason to buy something or not :)
So the Tenergy would be a good replacement for Sriver? My main concern is reading the reviews that it is rather hot to handle? That is why I considered the Dignics for the backhand to give me a higher amount of control. Which would be similar to my previous setup, tackiness on the backhand, sriver fx on the forehand.

Thinking about using nail polish remover to get the rubbers of my old blade. When I tried to peel a piece off, some of the sandwich remained on the frame which is okay, but I also torn off a tiny piece of wood.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Hi,

I thought the Dignics was actually popular? Not that popularity is a reason to buy something or not :)
So the Tenergy would be a good replacement for Sriver? My main concern is reading the reviews that it is rather hot to handle? That is why I considered the Dignics for the backhand to give me a higher amount of control. Which would be similar to my previous setup, tackiness on the backhand, sriver fx on the forehand.

Thinking about using nail polish remover to get the rubbers of my old blade. When I tried to peel a piece off, some of the sandwich remained on the frame which is okay, but I also torn off a tiny piece of wood.

do you know that you have to pull the rubber off the blade side-wise to avoid pulling slivers of wood off the blade ?
Nail polish is very strong stuff , like acetone, it might de-laminate the blade.
Mineral turpentine is strong enough.
Get rid of the rubber top first then gently soak some turps into the sponge.
After a while you can start "pushing"it off with a plastic spatula.
Careful not to dig in with the corners of the spatula. Gently does it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

Yea I am aware that I need to pull the rubber off side-was. Still it pulled a tiny sliver of wood off the blade. I assume it's because of the age of the wood and glue. Both had their time to age and dry.

Hmm fair point about the nail polish, I'll see if I can get some mineral turpentine. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Hi,

Tenergy is for high level players
Dignics is for even higher level players, therefore more difficult to use.

You welcome to try a Dignics and a Tenergy for BH/FH
fx is still the same, you can get Tenergy 05FX for example

but given today's much bigger ball, people then do go harder on the sponges

ie Tenergy 05 Hard only came out the past couple of years, as the normal T05 was too soft (pros had to custom get hard sponges, while the commercial market still stayed on the softer T05 sponge) and no one really uses T05FX any more, its just too soft and can't get enough power into the bigger ball (which is slower and less spinier in the air)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

Ah right, I wouldn't consider myself a high level player, at least not at the moment. ☺
The simple difficulty I am facing is, my mind still knows what to look for in hardware, I would probably feel the difference also, but whether I am still able to handle it? I dunno..

Right I retired before they introduced the new ball size. I have no idea how that would effect my technique. I assume they are heavier and thus I would have to tilt my bat a tiny bit to make up for the weight and speed. Just happy to know it slowed down a tiny bit, then my age feels less of a disadvantage. 😜

I'll take a look at the different variants of Tenergy. I assume with the weight off the ball, the not very hard (-off) blade and no speed glue, the Tenergy variants would be a great fit. I used to have a more agressive blade, yet I couldn't remember where I put it. According to my dad I broke it after winning our last season. Which sounds like the younger me..... 🤣

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Ah right, I wouldn't consider myself a high level player, at least not at the moment. ☺
The simple difficulty I am facing is, my mind still knows what to look for in hardware, I would probably feel the difference also, but whether I am still able to handle it? I dunno..

Right I retired before they introduced the new ball size. I have no idea how that would effect my technique. I assume they are heavier and thus I would have to tilt my bat a tiny bit to make up for the weight and speed. Just happy to know it slowed down a tiny bit, then my age feels less of a disadvantage. 😜

I'll take a look at the different variants of Tenergy. I assume with the weight off the ball, the not very hard (-off) blade and no speed glue, the Tenergy variants would be a great fit. I used to have a more agressive blade, yet I couldn't remember where I put it. According to my dad I broke it after winning our last season. Which sounds like the younger me..... 🤣

At your high level you can’t go wrong with Viscaria+ double tenergy 05
Just to start with

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

I also think your old blade can still work.
of course if budget allows, going for a new/fresh blade with these expensive rubber also make sense.

most people I dealt with from the old ball days and coming back again, just take some time to adjust.
depending how long you have been away for, many people I know can't actually remember the old ball, so they just adapt to the new ball and get the rustiness away.

This user has no status.
Ss a "reentry" after a long period myself,
I would suggest Vega Intro,Nittaku Factive and even the Joola Fire.
But if your trasition goes very fast,then nothing speaks against going for the High-End Rubbers others suggested,like Dignics and Tenergy.
The Rozena might be also a good "start again" rubber,but i never played it.
Depends on your Budget and how fast you adapt to the new Ball,your age,etc...but keep in mind it will probably take some time.
Welcome Back and have fun and may your competitive Spirit flow again.