Returning a side spin to the left

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
So I have been playing with this guy who does a side spin serve as shown in the picture, though i am able to take it, i cannot but return in either of the 3 return spots as shown in the figure(#1,2,3). If #3 is very close to the net, then it works, otherwise(in the case of #1 and 2), he just side steps and kills the return with a big smash/loop.

serves.JPG

I would ideally like to push it to #4, but the side spin does not allow me to. Any ideas?

And yes, i play penhold and my return is a forehand push; i also tried a sidespin screw, but since the serve is at the extreme left of mine, it does not work.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
If you use forehand push tilt the right side of your racket up. If there was no sidespin on the serve, the ball would go out, but if you do this with your opponent's sidespin serve the ball should go to $4. If you watch Ma Lin you'll see that's how he returns this serve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
Should the entire right hand side of the blade be up or just near the handle?

Also, i see that sometimes while chopping this serve, the ball just bounces too much high. This does not happen always. Is this because i am keeping the blade too flat?

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
It's easy to do, but kinda difficult to explain :) but take a look at 2:49s

Don't grab the bat too hard, gentle push with a light grip on the handle. It may not work the 1st time, but keep at it, ask your mates to serve the ball to you until you get the feel an angle. Then it's just 2nd nature to you.

You can take it on your BH too, as long as you get the angle of the bat right, the ball will go to your no4:) Good luck!

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Without being there, hard to tell the exact type of spin. From what you describe, it is likely he is also changing up the bottom and topspin component to fool you more. If it is pure sidespin, you only need to make a touch shot with blade exactly opposite tip up or down, doesn't matter much. You are side-swiping the ball and continuing the spin, so the ball does not react much off your rubber if you read the spin correctly and the blade is going with the spin. Once you get this touch, you can learn to drop it short and confuse his timing on hte 3rd ball attack. This is why a "Bananna" flick is suck a safe agressive receive against a short chop serve.

You can also time the "kick" and try to be more agressive impacting ball at hight of bounce with a BH drive right back at his elbow. He is likely ready for that and can counterblock it by you down Fh line. You can also try to take a lot of power off your receive and use a 1/2 lifting/1/2 solid contact to make a spinny, slow ball land deep near endline. If you try the placement around where you describe #4, you might suprise him by simply landing the shot as many opponents do not return the ball there with topspin. Still, since it is a safe, slow shot, he has time to sidestep and attack it down BH line or crosscourt. Hopefully, you landed it deep and sufficiently spinny so that the kick and depth make it discouraging to attack, which gives you a chance to attack if you see it coming.

if it is a pure sidespin, you can also try a very open blade shot where you slice under the very bottom of the ball right off the bounce. The spin is rotating clockwise, like the same way a top (the toy boys plays with) spins. You impact exactly under it right on hte spin axis, the spin will not take effect and make the ball fly off. You have to get right on or very close to the axis of spin with this shot or the ball will kick off your rubber for an error. Taking it off bounce takes away time from opponent and if you have the touch, you can drop it and create your own backspin. This is a tricky shot to do as you have to read the spin exactly, andticipate the sidespin break of hte ball in flight, and get tehree right after bounce. That can be a lot to do. It can also be easy if you have the right preparation and timing. This is why a "Bananna" flick is such a safe agressive receive against a short chop serve. You are impacting the ball on the side axis of the spin where it will not fly off your rubber.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It's easy to do, but kinda difficult to explain :) but take a look at 2:49s

Don't grab the bat too hard, gentle push with a light grip on the handle. It may not work the 1st time, but keep at it, ask your mates to serve the ball to you until you get the feel an angle. Then it's just 2nd nature to you.

You can take it on your BH too, as long as you get the angle of the bat right, the ball will go to your no4:) Good luck!

Good video to show the technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
If you use forehand push tilt the right side of your racket up. If there was no sidespin on the serve, the ball would go out, but if you do this with your opponent's sidespin serve the ball should go to $4. If you watch Ma Lin you'll see that's how he returns this serve.

So, i tried this and am extremely happy about this tip. Till date, i always used to keep my bat parallel to the table while returning serves or chopping; i tilted slightly and i see that my chops are getting more lethal and the serve-returns are getting better.

Though, where there is a HEAVY sidespin serve, the tilt makes the ball jump out of the table many times or makes the ball bounce to a good height for a perfect SMASH - i think this has got to do with the control w.r.t the angle.