Sandpaper player looking for first sponge rubber paddle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Longtime sandpaper paddle player looking to purchase a sponge rubber paddle. I'd consider myself better than average recreationally, haven't really played in clubs or tournaments. Totally confused on what to get/how much to spend. Thinking maybe in the $50ish range give or take? Not sure how many stars, etc. Any advice appreciated. Sorry in advance if I haven't given enough info, if this has been covered before or is other a dumb question (and please move if this is in wrong category)!

Last edited:
Longtime sandpaper paddle player looking to purchase a sponge rubber paddle. I'd consider myself better than average recreationally, haven't really played in clubs or tournaments. Totally confused on what to get/how much to spend. Thinking maybe in the $50ish range give or take? Not sure how many stars, etc. Any advice appreciated. Sorry in advance if I haven't given enough info, if this has been covered before or is other a dumb question (and please move if this is in wrong category)!
First off, I would starts by buying a recreational paddle. Two good recreational paddles that I began my Table Tennis journey with are:
Stiga Fan Zhendong prestige 5 star (Used myself) around 70$ in my country
Stiga Xu Xin prestige 4 star
Stiga Truls Maregard prestige 3 star
Donic Schildkrot 800
Donic Schildkrot 900
Donic Schildkrot 1000 (Used by a friend of mine, who now is a defender)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Any thoughts on the ColesTT combos? He recommended:

Air Combo with AssassinS 1.9 rubber ($60 shipped)

Or the Premade Buster with Illumina 1.9 rubber ($40 shipped)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews

That is also decent option. I've heard only good things colestt, but have not tried myself. If you from US you can also check Gambler stuff https://gamblertt.com/shop/.

From blades a Zen or Instinct could be decent, did not tried those. From rubbers I've used Burst, Mech-Teck and Volts. The rubbers are all stellar, but the durability is not the best if you train 15 hrs a week... A volt combo is very good but might be a little too demanding. Two mech-tecks can be a good choice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

I like cole's more than gambler. I find that air makes better rubbers, blades are about the same. You could argue that Gambler makes more "popular blades"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022

Thanks guys - I think I reached out to Gambler but no reply. Cole on the hand was much more responsive and helpful.

As someone with a lot of experience playing with sandpaper/hardbats, do you think I'd notice much difference between the the two combos noted above (I think that's about as much as I'd want to spend).

Also considering picking up a second one for my wife/son who are both more beginner, but showing interest and I'd love something that encourages them both to get better. I'm currently using a Inverted rubber Joola mini paddle to keep it more competitive with them. Or would a Cole's beginner package be a better fit? It's a couple bucks more than buster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews

Thanks guys - I think I reached out to Gambler but no reply. Cole on the hand was much more responsive and helpful.

As someone with a lot of experience playing with sandpaper/hardbats, do you think I'd notice much difference between the the two combos noted above (I think that's about as much as I'd want to spend).

Also considering picking up a second one for my wife/son who are both more beginner, but showing interest and I'd love something that encourages them both to get better. I'm currently using a Inverted rubber Joola mini paddle to keep it more competitive with them. Or would a Cole's beginner package be a better fit? It's a couple bucks more than buster.

I would go then with premade buster with max rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
ok - so just to confirm, for someone of my level (with basically no experience playing with inverted rubber sponge paddle) the buster over the more pricey Air OS bundle is the better way to go? Just want to confirm I won't feel any true difference. If so, I don't mind paying the extra $20.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
ok - so just to confirm, for someone of my level (with basically no experience playing with inverted rubber sponge paddle) the buster over the more pricey Air OS bundle is the better way to go? Just want to confirm I won't feel any true difference. If so, I don't mind paying the extra $20.

It doesn't matter really. Just get coaching.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

i did go with the shorter 1.9 option on his suggestion

Cole's is great... I do have a sandpaper question. I am in the process of changing sheets of sandpaper and can not find any info on what sandpaper grit is acceptable. Do you happen to know? Thanks

Reactions: yoass