Science-Driven Secrets to Improving Table Tennis Performance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I don't know if it is really science driven but I know I don't like multi-ball and I prefer a random sequence of shots because it reproduces reality better. I demanded the coach do something random at least every 5th shot or so to keep me honest. The random balls should come at random intervals and at random places to keep me honest. Sometime two or even 3 random balls in a row.

BTW, your FH stroke starts out OK but right before you hit the ball you start moving your paddle forwards instead up maintaining the same upwards trajectory. You lose a lot of spin.

Also, I laughed when you started to mix things up. It is a lot harder when you mix things up. I know, That is why I wanted my coach to throw something random in them mix.

Reactions: palguay
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I don't know if it is really science driven but I know I don't like multi-ball and I prefer a random sequence of shots because it reproduces reality better. I demanded the coach do something random at least every 5th shot or so to keep me honest. The random balls should come at random intervals and at random places to keep me honest. Sometime two or even 3 random balls in a row.

BTW, your FH stroke starts out OK but right before you hit the ball you start moving your paddle forwards instead up maintaining the same upwards trajectory. You lose a lot of spin.

Also, I laughed when you started to mix things up. It is a lot harder when you mix things up. I know, That is why I wanted my coach to throw something random in them mix.
Why can't you have multiball with some randomness? Multiball without randomness is mostly used to train specific motions, e.g. FH/BH stroke, FH/BH transitions, basic footwork (Falkenberg and such), etc. You obviously need to be able to execute those before randomness is added in.

When I train for a new motion, I make sure I can execute it at least 10 times in a row before I start adding randomness. Then I make sure I can do that at least 10 times in a row before going back to non-random and start adding more power. Then rinse and repeat until I can execute them at random with the desired amount of power before I start actively incorporating them into match play.

Reactions: KM1976
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Why can't you have multiball with some randomness? Multiball without randomness is mostly used to train specific motions, e.g. FH/BH stroke, FH/BH transitions, basic footwork (Falkenberg and such), etc. You obviously need to be able to execute those before randomness is added in.

When I train for a new motion, I make sure I can execute it at least 10 times in a row before I start adding randomness. Then I make sure I can do that at least 10 times in a row before going back to non-random and start adding more power. Then rinse and repeat until I can execute them at random with the desired amount of power before I start actively incorporating them into match play.
Yes, the multi-ball server can make it random. That is what my 3rd coach would do to me but that isn't the traditional multi-ball where the same ball is serves over and over and over again. Also, we would often play out the point. It isn't good enough that I just get the ball back. I had to get it back for a winner or at least put my coach on the defense.

If you can execute something that you have a 95% chance of making, the chance of you making 10 in a row is about 60% Your chances of getting 10 in a row sometime is pretty good. It gets a lot harder when randomness is added

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Randomness was my biggest fear in Jazz when I started learning it hahaha, there's always that hyper talented jazz academy/conservatory student that calls for ridiculous tunes in jam sessions, like Donna Lee or any Coltrane's tune, specially Giant Steps "aw sh*t chords everywhere ! RUN !!!", randomness makes perfect for sure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016

yes agree, I am also a big fan of playing random ball when I train. It helps with the minor adjustments to make for each stroke to make up for the positioning. Another thing I like to do when training with the robot is to mix up random with different speed of the ball to move in and out as well along with the lateral movements.