Short and Medium pimple sponge thickness?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I use Spinlord Keiler in 1.8mm on backhand, they are mid pimples I believe. I have tried Spectol Red before. My preferred ball for use if I had a choice would be the Joola Flash (poly plastic not ABS). Personally I believe it spins much more than any ABS ball I have tried, I also think it is faster. I also think it holds on your blade more when brushing than any ABS ball (this may be weak technique from my part).

Even and especially on the BH with Keiler I find that the ball falls off the bat more with ABS balls. It feels slower when I hit too! I net much more whether the incoming ball has top, chop, float basically whatever!

Has any pimple player of any description felt a similar phenomenon?

Does anyone think going up to 2.0mm pimples on bh with Keiler would help this feeling of netting the ball too much and ball falling off blade?

Now this is after me training on average 15 hours a week for 5 weeks with ABS balls of various types. So that is quite a lot of hours.
Basically the other night at training after switching back to Joola Flash my bh pip play was better within 30 minutes!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
Certainly not to that degree.

I do find changing the type of ball or playing on a different table can throw my timing off, but I can adjust reasonably quickly (although unfortunately normally it takes until after the warm up and half way through the match)

Was it any better with the Spectol? Is it on all shots or just when you do your topspin type backhand?

I don't think changing to a thicker sponge will help

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The balls always sink on short pimple rubbers. That is why it is less sensitive for spin. Less grip on the pips, more sink on the rubber, and more effect and easier for you to block short balls.

It is more difficult proably to play with pimples with less grip and even more with middle pips, atleast offensive but i think to your playingstyle and age it is better. I feel like maybe you are not the best at smashing with the short pimples, but you are very good at blocking and then you can kill the ball with the forehand.

With thinner sponge, less grip and middle pips you will proably get more effect and it will proably be easier to block short balls since the ball sinks alot on the rubber. So harder for the opponent but also for you.

I use short pimples with grip in max thickness because i try to smash almost everything with my forehand. I try to smash alot since i am pretty tall so need to play a bit away from the table. With grip it will help to make opening loops, and also give a bit more marginal for error since i can get a little spin and arc in the ball.

So depends on how you play. I have a coach friend, that have played alot in second highest division in sweden. He now uses Keiler, proably because it suits his style of play: moving the opponent around and killing the ball with his really great forehand. He is also around 30 years of age and do not train as much so i think the middle pips also makes the game a little slower.

Reactions: MOG

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
The balls always sink on short pimple rubbers. That is why it is less sensitive for spin. Less grip on the pips, more sink on the rubber, and more effect and easier for you to block short balls.

It is more difficult proably to play with pimples with less grip and even more with middle pips, atleast offensive but i think to your playingstyle and age it is better. I feel like maybe you are not the best at smashing with the short pimples, but you are very good at blocking and then you can kill the ball with the forehand.

With thinner sponge, less grip and middle pips you will proably get more effect and it will proably be easier to block short balls since the ball sinks alot on the rubber. So harder for the opponent but also for you.

I use short pimples with grip in max thickness because i try to smash almost everything with my forehand. I try to smash alot since i am pretty tall so need to play a bit away from the table. With grip it will help to make opening loops, and also give a bit more marginal for error since i can get a little spin and arc in the ball.

So depends on how you play. I have a coach friend, that have played alot in second highest division in sweden. He now uses Keiler, proably because it suits his style of play: moving the opponent around and killing the ball with his really great forehand. He is also around 30 years of age and do not train as much so i think the middle pips also makes the game a little slower.

I think this is how i should play with Keiler, moving ball and placement and blocks and picking my hits!!