Starting youtube channel?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I am have been thinking about starting a youtube channel but have not started yet. And do not know if i ever will. But is good to think about it and ask about opinions.

I asked about which camera you should use and some said a cellphone works okay if it is pretty new. So i will start with that. Do not want to make any investments.

Also wondering if it takes alot alot of time. With all the stuff after, like editing the video.

I am also thinking what it should be about. And it would be good if maybe some of the content is not what everyone else does.
I am thinking about:

Technique and how to play the different strokes. As basic as possible? I have seen that people seems to like that.

Tactics and playing style. Do not feel that it is so much about this, so maybe it is a good idea. Do not know if i know enough aswell.
Equipment, different short pimples and long pimples

How to play with short pimple and long pimple. This i feel is somewhat missing on youtube. When i started out it was very difficult to learn from videos how to use short pimple since it was not many about it. My friend that is a chopper feel the same. Maybe others feel the same. But maybe it is to few that use it.

I have also thought that maybe the players that i coach could watch the videos and therefore learn more. But do not know about this one. Thinking about quitting being a coach for kids. Take alot of energy and they are not very motivated.

Have you guys any idea what videos could be about? Is it something missing? What do you enjoy watching?

Feel that if i just put up the same as everyone else maybe it is no idea to do it. But i also feel that if you get a following the content do not really need to be that great as long as you explain it well. But of course i want to have content that i know is somewhat correct.

Note that i am just in the thinking process, but i appreciate all help.Thanks! :)

Reactions: Simas and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Bump! No one have any ideas or thoughts? :)

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey Lula,

Firstly - Absolutely start with a smartphone for a camera - Just get some sort of tripod for it to keep it steady.

If you are talking to the camera up close, the sound will probably be OK (depending on the hall you are in) - If you are far away, you might want some sort of external microphone to make it better.

The editing can be quick if you manage to do a successful take on camera.

But if you need to chop and change bits, it can be slow (general rule of thumb I find is that it takes 4 times as long to edit the video, so 1 hour of footage can take 4 hours to edit, but that is a very rough guide for me personally).

If a lot of your videos were talking, or general drills that didn't need editing, you probably wouldn't have to spend as long editing (maybe only 2 hours to 1 hour of footage).

As for the content, that's a difficult one.

I wouldn't start with pips videos - If I saw them, I'd instantly switch off (as would a lot of juniors and other players).

The basics are always a good place to start, and you could even take requests from people (to try and bolster your "fan base").

But..... I wouldn't worry about all that at the moment, I'd simply get recording and uploading loads of content.

If you enjoy it, great, keep doing it and build it up.

But if you find it takes up too much time, then you can discard it without too much worry.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks that you took the time and answer! much appreciated. Okey, maybe i think to much. To just start doing videos is maybe a better way to go!

I think i want to try to do some videos. I am a little worried how to know if i am in the screen or outside it, if you know what i mean. And how my english is.

I also feel that it would be a somewhat waste of time if no one watches it. But that is hard to know from the beginning.

NDH

says Spin to win!
People are FAR more likely to subscribe if you have a lot of content.

Making 1 video and expecting people to subscribe won't work - You want them to click on your profile and see you've done loads of others as well.

As for whether you are on screen or not, you'll soon get used to it - It helps if someone else is around to give you the "thumbs up", but if not, just record 5 seconds first, then check you are OK. If you are.... carry on :)

As for the "waste of time" comment - It's difficult, because it depends what motivates you.

Are you motivated because you enjoy making videos?

Or are you motivated by the "likes, subscribes and views" each video gets?

If you don't enjoy making them, then you might as well stop now.

If you do, then you can ignore the second part, as that will come naturally with good content.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes, that is true!

Maybe i can get a friend to help me, almost need someone to show strokes with aswell.

If i enjoy doing videos is hard to know before i have started doing them haha.

I would not do it because of likes and some kind of confirmation need. I enjoy tabletennis, technique, teaching others and trying to help them. Many i train is not so motivated so many times it is not so much fun, but thos who are motivated makes coaching alot of fun. I figure that if you search how to play videos on youtube you are interested and it would be fun to reach them. So i would enjoy trying to reach others and see that i have helped them a bit on their way to become a better player. Alot of people have a hard time getting organized training and a coach so it would be fun to try to help them.

But if if i do alot of videos and spend time doing them and no one watches them and do not find them helpful i would not find it fun. Do not know if i find the process of making videos like filming and editing so fun but it would be fun if people would watch them and become better players from it.

I also watch alot of other videos online about tabletennis and i feel that i would have a hard time get them as "fancy" and nice looking as them, but i feel that i do not agree with some of the contents on how to do the strokes. So i feel that i maybe could do some videos somewhat better than the available. But of couse there are alot of different videos, some that i watch are really really good but not all. I also see that some have very very much views and i feel that some of the stuff they are explaining are very basic so feel that i also have the possiblity to get alot of views.

But i think you are very correct that i need to start doing videos and se how it goes.

thanks again for the help.

Edit: forget to mention that i am somewhat motivated to do how to pimple videos since i feel that the content about that is very lacking on youtube. And i could proably help alot of players that want to try pimples.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Hi,

Smartphone is ok.

Try things, test and learn how the audience react.

I recommand a channel name that have something to do with Table Tennis (TableTennis Daily, TTLondon, TableTennis BelgiumTV, InfoTT...).

Brand and custom your channel @ the very beginning (logo, channel art, thumbnails).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
yeah, smart phone is good enough.
you would need some editing skills
you would need content - a lot of content
this all ties down to you will need a lot of time.

I couldn't do it, as I couldn't commit to the time invested in non hands on coaching (ending up spending more time with the video than the actual coaching session that day for example)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I think the pimples videos would be my favorite. It's a smaller audience in a sport with an already somewhat small playerbase! The plus is you would stand out from other table tennis videos, as they focus on the 'mainstream' elements -- downside is you would have less people searching/wanting to know about the pips.

If you just want to make videos for fun and teach, then it doesn't matter a whole lot. If you wanted to monetize and all that... then perhaps table tennis is not the place to start! haha...

But there is a lot of content you could put out specific to pips - basics and so forth - then advanced stuff like different footwork for pips, stances, how to move, what serves to use best to setup pips etc. etc.

So you could either go a more general table tennis route, or go with a specific niche and become the "pip guy" on YT making tips for those players. The more specific you get, the more narrow your audience base but perhaps more desirous of the content.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I would like to see a video of how different blades get their speed and control ratings.

Maybe you could do a test comparing your ratings to the manufacturer.

Do not know if i have the money for this. But i think that if i focus on pimples maybe i can get rubbers from Japsko and rewiev them since i know the owners.

Hi,

Smartphone is ok.

Try things, test and learn how the audience react.

I recommand a channel name that have something to do with Table Tennis (TableTennis Daily, TTLondon, TableTennis BelgiumTV, InfoTT...).

Brand and custom your channel @ the very beginning (logo, channel art, thumbnails).

Yes, A tabletennis name is a good idea. I think i will call it Lulatabletennis. Okay, trial and error and see what they like! roger that!

yeah, smart phone is good enough.
you would need some editing skills
you would need content - a lot of content
this all ties down to you will need a lot of time.

I couldn't do it, as I couldn't commit to the time invested in non hands on coaching (ending up spending more time with the video than the actual coaching session that day for example)

yes. I am little worried about all the thing around tabletennis. Like editing, adding subtitles, my english and stuff like that. And aswell how long time everything may take. Editing stuff maybe is not the funniest thing in the world. I proably need to get my head out of my arse and try doing some videos and i will se about the time.

I think the pimples videos would be my favorite. It's a smaller audience in a sport with an already somewhat small playerbase! The plus is you would stand out from other table tennis videos, as they focus on the 'mainstream' elements -- downside is you would have less people searching/wanting to know about the pips.

If you just want to make videos for fun and teach, then it doesn't matter a whole lot. If you wanted to monetize and all that... then perhaps table tennis is not the place to start! haha...

But there is a lot of content you could put out specific to pips - basics and so forth - then advanced stuff like different footwork for pips, stances, how to move, what serves to use best to setup pips etc. etc.

So you could either go a more general table tennis route, or go with a specific niche and become the "pip guy" on YT making tips for those players. The more specific you get, the more narrow your audience base but perhaps more desirous of the content.

This was my orginial thought. no one would look if i put up the same thing as everyone else. but i feels how to play with pimples are seriously lacking and it is hard for players without a coach to know how to do. I would have needed videos when i started out. But like you said there are fewer that use it, but still right now they have almost nowhere to go.

Thanks for all the answers! really nice thing really when people you do no know take their precious time and answer my question without expecting anything in return. Thanks for the help. I need to start to try doing some videos and leave the thought process, but i enjoy coaching and playing so much so i do not take the time in the hall haha. I also think i need to find someone that wants to help my.

Will try to do a video and show you guys. Will keep you updated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Hey Lula, here are some ideas for you:
Choose a topic, “the forehand drive”, for instance. Watch some videos that are already available on this topic. Observe the filming angles, the distance from the camera, the editing, the teaching method, and whatever you find important for a video. Try to identify which ways would work best for you. The idea is not to imitate what is available, but try to build for yourself a better image of what you want to do, and create your own style.

Then, after you have a good idea of how you want to do it, film it and post it here. I am sure people here will be more than happy to give you the feedback and tips you need, so you can keep improving and getting more comfortable doing it.

First tip I can give you already is: audio is very important. The phone will sure do the work for the video, but make sure the audio is fine as well. If not, get a mic.

An important thing to keep in mind when doing the video is the reason why who is watching the video is watching the video. People will look for videos when they have no coach, or when they have doubts. So there is no “too obvious thing to teach”. Remember what are the most common mistakes your students make ant try to approach that. Things like starting and finishing positions for the stroke, how the rest of the body should behave while doing the stroke (like weight transfer), and where you want to contact the ball (both on the ball course and on what region of the rubber as well) are all things that are not always covered on videos, and people without a coach will not find so trivial. Some “whys” may be a nice thing to add to the explanation too.

I’m a bit late on this thread, but I didn’t find the time to post before. Hope you still find something helpful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Not a pro at all here but i think some youtuber finally delete their firsts video when they progress. What i want to say here is it is not so important to do very good video the first time, you'll improve and you can delete them if ever you don't like them after a while

Also i've heard that the most important is to have a correct sound. People can accept bad quality image, bad filming but it's very bothering to not being able to easily understand the person

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks for all the great help! Recently started a new job so Do not know if i Will have time But it would be fun!

I think about explaining hard stuff as basic as possible and focus on how to play with pimples. And Maybe share the few things i know about tactic and playing style.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Yes, plus one on the pips. There are tons of people doing wonderful videos of shakehands technique in English alone. But to find pips technique videos is almost impossible. And if you think about table tennis as a world market on YouTube, there are so many pips players out there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Not a pips player myself, but I really enjoy watching Ruwen Filus or stuff on that channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCqxHlZqm1itzhbarPUkJBaw
There's also another channel doing lot of pips review: https://youtube.com/user/Croudy81/videos

What I personally miss a bit or only see seldom would be game reviews and reflections on what really helped to improve ones game, but that'd only what I'd like to see.

Sent from my ZTE Grand S II LTE using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks again for the advice! i feel somewhat motivated about doing pips videos since it would have helped me alot when i started out.

I think i will not think so much and try to just film when i train or stuff like that to get used to filming and putting the stuff up on youtube. I feel that i have great ideas and so, but i have trouble getting started because i am so busy playing or coaching when i am in the hall. So i think i need to try to just film stuff and not think think and think again.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks again for the advice! i feel somewhat motivated about doing pips videos since it would have helped me alot when i started out.

I think i will not think so much and try to just film when i train or stuff like that to get used to filming and putting the stuff up on youtube. I feel that i have great ideas and so, but i have trouble getting started because i am so busy playing or coaching when i am in the hall. So i think i need to try to just film stuff and not think think and think again.

IT doesn't have to perfect. Don't care about the sound or all that stuff. It will get better with time and who knows, someone might volunteer to help you with stuff and then it gets easier.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
You'll always have to invest if you want to be good at something. I'd suggest at least get a gopro (or similar) action camera that supports remote controls, you'll find it makes your life so much easier without the need to go and start recording on your phone every once in a while, which you'll most likely be doing a lot for multiple takes. And always get an external microphone, it'll be too far for the microphone on phone/camera to catch your voice clearly across the table. Also, get a tripod, or a gimbal handheld if you will be holding the phone/camera when moving, no one wants to see a shaky video.