Stiga Offensive Classic WRB, any good for beginner of 2 years?

says what [IMG]
Hello.

I have a choice between Stiga Allround Classic ALL and the Stiga Offensive Classic WRB OFF-.

I will be buying Friendship 729 FX with it.

Which should I go for if they are both well in my budget? @Der_Echte mentioned I can probably handle an OFF-, but what do you think of this blade in particular? Would it be a good investment for the future as well, being a decent OFF- blade and not a pure beginner's ALL?

Thanks.

@NextLevel
@Shuki
@NDH
@Der_Echte
@UpSideDownCarl

EDIT: Made a purchase.

Stiga Allround Evolution
729 FX Blue Sponge FH
729 FX BH
Some water based glue
Training balls

Free shipping and I got some stuff I'd buy anyway. :eek:

I didn't opt for free gluing and free lacquering because I do not like their "no return" policy in that case. Rather get some spare glue and do it myself so I can pretend I'm a serious, high level player while I glue my rubber on. :rolleyes:

Thanks, guys. I think I made a good choice for my budget.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Problem with the Offensive Classic WRB is the WRB part. If you saw it, you would see the WRB is cheap and makes the blade head heavy because WRB means hollow handle.

If you can get an Offensive Classic with a regular handle, it would be better.

Allround Classic, in my opinion, is slower than you need.

But Allround Evolution is actually an Off- blade and would be worth it.

So, I would check and see if you could get one of these:

1) Allround Evolution
2) Offensive Classic (regular handle not WRB).

Either one would be an excellent choice.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says what [IMG]
I will take a look. I have more than a basic understanding how natural frequencies of objects work and what adding a hole will do, so the WRB thing sounded like it'd just be too fast for me. Good I checked here, then. I also like a slightly heavier setup, so the normal alternative would be heavier as well.

I will take a look at the alternatives.

I could get myself an extra sheet of blue sponge 729 and and 729 FX and barely not have to pay the shipping, so I'm intrigued. Is it worth getting the replacement sheets, or would I rather upgrade once they wear out?

This user has no status.
Both are solid choices. Personally, I would get offensive classic as you're using a tacky non tensor rubber which should give you enough control. When you improve, you can go faster with better rubbers so i think you have longer millage with this blade. Heck, i gave the new players i coach Clipper with M2 bluefire lol and with coaching they can control fine (but don't emulate me plz seriously it was what i had lying around). Whatever you choose, I would advise against getting anything WRB. WRB has hollow handles which shifts the centre of weight to the blade face making it head heavy. Loopers tend to like this but its not for everyone. As you are still developing, the best would be a balance weight distribution until you find your style of play.

Reactions: Archosaurus
This user has no status.
I can choose between an Allround Evolution, or a slightly more expensive Offensive Classic, no WRB.

Should I just choose purely based on price here? I see Carl put the Evolution before the Offensive: do you recommend it?

I was merely giving recommendation based on your list. If you are willing to change to Allround Evolution then i would put the evolution ahead of offensive

says what [IMG]
I was merely giving recommendation based on your list. If you are willing to change to Allround Evolution then i would put the evolution ahead of offensive
For what reason would you recommend the AE over the OC?

Mind you that the AE will run me a bit less, so I am inclined to buy it if it's a better buy. But if the OC is better, I can handle the extra 2 or so eur it'd cost me. ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
Hello.

I have a choice between Stiga Allround Classic ALL and the Stiga Offensive Classic WRB OFF-.

I will be buying Friendship 729 FX with it.

Which should I go for if they are both well in my budget? @Der_Echte mentioned I can probably handle an OFF-, but what do you think of this blade in particular? Would it be a good investment for the future as well, being a decent OFF- blade and not a pure beginner's ALL?

Thanks.

@NextLevel
@Shuki
@NDH
@Der_Echte
@UpSideDownCarl

looks creepy when you put thanks and below @ and 5 names.
smells like sock sucking....
stand up for yourself!!!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
AE just slightly slower, stiffer and more control. It fits more appropriately to "what a beginner should get" setup. But it really doesnt matter. Both are really solid choices and easy to adapt with training. If you really have trouble choosing between the 2 i suggest you choose the prettiest looking one or hang some pictures of the 2 on a wall and throw darts on them and choose one.,

says what [IMG]
SilentRain, hahah.

I will choose the AE then, because it's cheaper and it has more control. If it's a better blade for me, cheaper AND I like the wood color more, then why not? :p

@kukamonga

Well, to be honest, I "suck their socks" because they've generally given good advice and I can rely on them to give me sensible answers.

Although, I think you're also qualified to give equipment advice. What do you think?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is how I would parse it out.

Allround Evolution has better feel and spin but is a little delicate. You bang the edge you have to tech the blade to fix it. Not a big deal but it is less sturdy even though it feels better.

Offensive Classic has a little higher ping and feels a tiny bit hollow. But it is sturdier.

The speed of those two is pretty much the same.

If you want better feel: Allround Evolution

If you want a bit more durable, Offensive Classic.

Both are excellent choices though.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says what [IMG]
Carl, check the first post. I ordered the Evo.

I am very, VERY delicate with my equipment, be it whatever, because I don't have a lot of money to replace anything, so I don't think the durability will be a problem. I treat other people's equipment like it's my own.

It also can't be any less sturdy than the rubbish premades I'm used to, anyway.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says what [IMG]
I've played with a friend's OFF premade and even if it didn't have the best rubber (sponge hard as a brick) it spun well enough that it was very easily manageable with full swings. Shortening your technique and chicken winging it is what it punished.

I'm eager to see what I can do with a slower blade and a far tackier and spinnier rubber. I think an OFF- is plenty fast for me, but the topsheet and sponge is what I'm interested in.

says what [IMG]
Glad to see ya getting good equipment Archo, 729 FX spins well and won't let you swing like an infant. Interested to see how quick you get that nasty spin game down!

I've been playing with dead bats for so long and they didn't let me swing halfheartedly anyway. A non-dead rubber on an ALL+ or faster blade feels like a rocket launcher compared to them.

The rare chance I get to play with a real nice setup sure does feel like something else. Can't wait to have my own high quality setup. :eek:

This user has no status.
I will take a look. I have more than a basic understanding how natural frequencies of objects work and what adding a hole will do, so the WRB thing sounded like it'd just be too fast for me. Good I checked here, then. I also like a slightly heavier setup, so the normal alternative would be heavier as well.

I will take a look at the alternatives.

I could get myself an extra sheet of blue sponge 729 and and 729 FX and barely not have to pay the shipping, so I'm intrigued. Is it worth getting the replacement sheets, or would I rather upgrade once they wear out?

uhm I'm not sure I really understand what you are saying here but....

generally heavier blades are faster and more powerful
lighter blade is like ughhh no resistance and like harder to generate more power (never liked light blades)
usually the wrb is just to counterbalance the stiga's heavy blades to make them lighter

Hope you understood what I said hahahaha :)
Have fun with your new equipment!

says what [IMG]
uhm I'm not sure I really understand what you are saying here but....

generally heavier blades are faster and more powerful
lighter blade is like ughhh no resistance and like harder to generate more power (never liked light blades)
usually the wrb is just to counterbalance the stiga's heavy blades to make them lighter

Hope you understood what I said hahahaha :)
Have fun with your new equipment!

WRB doesn't just decrease mass. It changes the center of gravity along the blade face as well as lowering the mass, but more importantly it changes the natural frequency and spring rate of the blade face. In other words, the blade becomes stiffer.

I don't need a very stiff blade right now, and I like heavier setups, so that's why I had my doubts about the WRB.

You can also have a fast blade that's light, but an object with more mass travelling at the same velocity will always result in more energy into the ball. So that's why heavy blades are generally faster: but they don't need to be stiffer to be faster.

Generally, for a light blade to be faster than a heavy blade, you'd need to increase the stiffness, and invariably the interaction of the sponge and rubber with the blade. That's why we even use carbon even if it decreases feel in most cases. Higher natural frequency, higher spring rate, less mass.

There's far more to it, but I don't want to get into things that I don't understand myself. :p Let's just say that a WRB would be a rocket launcher for me, and the ball would probably rebound a bit too fast off the blade face for me to learn to spin better.

I'll make sure to enjoy my equipment. Now we just wait...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There's far more to it, but I don't want to get into things that I don't understand myself. :p

That would be a good idea since most of what you said is totally off and primarily shows that you've never tried the things you are pontificating on and clearly would be better off heeding your own advice. [emoji2]

Let's just say that a WRB would be a rocket launcher for me, and the ball would probably rebound a bit too fast off the blade face for me to learn to spin better.

Probably not. The WRB would not be noticeably different in speed or flex. But it would be lighter and feel heavier because it would be head heavy.

Go ahead, ask Der_Echte on this subject. We have done tests with blades where we started with a blade with a hollow handle and then filled the handle. [emoji2]

Most of what the TT companies say about the hollow handle is BS marketing. You are better off testing and comparing to see what you feel. But since you have only used premade rackets to date, my guess is, you have not had much of a chance to do quality comparison tests to quality equipment. [emoji2]

Have fun with your new racket and don't worry about the rest.

This user has no status.
Probably not. The WRB would not be noticeably different in speed or flex. But it would be lighter and feel heavier because it would be head heavy.

This is right. I only know CR yields noticable increase in speed. Have yet to test Stiga's crystal tech. But like Carl said, just have fun with your new blade and dont worry about the rest. All these technology jargons would probably not make much difference with the AE. The difference probably only comes once you get even more high end expensive stuff.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl