Tips for My Second Blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021
I have been playing table tennis for many years, but I have only recently joined a club. I like to play offensively and would consider my skill level to be beginner-intermediate.

I was thinking of building my new racket with a Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive blade and Gewo Nexxus EL PRO 43 max. rubbers.

Do you think this is a good idea, or will it be too fast? Isn't it better to have a fast paddle, even if it takes some getting used to in the beginning?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
YEO (MLEO) is indeed fast for a starter blade

if you want to settle with OFF, then find a OFF- (minus) 5 ply wood blade
possibly ALL+ 5 ply wood blade would be nice too.

rubbers is okay and ALL+ will give you more control (Yasaka Sweden Extra or Gewo Allround classic to based on the 2 brands you named)

Reactions: andres
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021
Thank you very much for your advice!

I decided to go with the Yasaka Sweden Extra.

Instead of the Gewo rubbers, I was thinking about Donic Acuda S2, Yasaka Rakza 7, or Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft. Which one do you recommend?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Instead of the Gewo rubbers, I was thinking about Donic Acuda S2, Yasaka Rakza 7, or Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft. Which one do you recommend?
why not go with Rakza 7, to keep it Yasaka
I think the 7 Soft could be a bit too soft
Rakza 7 and Sweden Extra is a good pairing for your first "proper racket" and could allow you to develop your strokes properly

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021
OK, and what thickness of rubber would you suggest? Can I opt for max, or is it not recommended?

says Pimples Schmimples
says Pimples Schmimples
Sep 2022
OK, and what thickness of rubber would you suggest? Can I opt for max, or is it not recommended?
I'd throw Rakza X Soft into the mix for rubbers too.
I used this rubber on my backhand and I love it. It is a bit harder than Rakza 7 Soft and not too soft IMO. I had used Rakza X on BH for a yr but I found myself a bit inconsistent. Toning down to X soft has given me added control (dwell time) as I work on these strokes.

Regarding thickness I use Max always. It can take a bit of getting used to if you come from 1.8 or thereabouts but i think its worth it - to master an attacking game I feel mastering Max sponge is necessary. Others have different opinions on that and lots of good players at my club play 2.0mm with no issues.
Personally I feel that to get the maximun out of a rubber (attack wise) that I need to engage as many mm's of sponge as possible, so I prefer MAX.
It gives a challenge in the short game (particularly with soft sponge) and I've always managed to adjust for it but Rakza 7 took me ages to get used to in that regard and is part of why I didnt actually like it very much, quite bouncy :)

Again, all of this is personal experience and YMMV. Speaking to a coach who knows your game is often the best way to go for recommendations. If you were spending $400 I would absolutely recommend to pay $$ss for a coach first but at the $100 mark I think you are choosing sensible equipment.
Actually it's very similar to my first setup. After playing Mark V for 8 mths I bought a Yasaka Silverline All Wood blade with Rakza X and Rakza Z rubbers.

Last edited:

Acuda S2 and Rakza 7 are very similar. I think Rakza 7 feels a little harder that’s all. It also may yield a little more spin.

Cheers
L-zr