Two lefties playing doubles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
First post so be kind! I've done some googling and bought the new book Table Tennis Doubles for Champions but I'm looking for advice on how two lefties can best play at doubles. As background both my partner and I have Parkinson's but over the last few months she has switched successfully from playing right handed to left handed due to symptoms affecting her right arm. I am naturally left handed. Last year we won gold in the mixed doubles at the Scottish Parkinson's International Open as a lefty/righty team. This year in August we will be defending our title as a lefty/lefty partnership! We've been practicing on and off over the last few weeks but would welcome any tips especially on positioning when serving or receiving.
Thanks
Steve Morley
Ayrshire Tiger Blog

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Also is a challenge depending in whether the stronger side is backhand or forehand. But depending on that, I would look into practicing serves that best set up your opponent's handedness. It's tremendous to play sports with Parkinsons, much respect to you for what you do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
with good footwork, left x 2 is the same as right x 2.
left can serve full fh and attack service return both fh and bh

there is just not many left x 2, so it looks funny.
most train right + left or right x 2.
its the training that counts and if you train left x 2, it isn't impossible.

funny, most lefty i know, have strong bh.

Reactions: Ayrshire Tiger
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
Thanks all, very much appreciated!

If anyone iscinterested here's a couple of blogs i wrote about last year's Scottish Parkinson's International Open: