USATT rating after a long break?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
My last USATT rating was 1820 (I think). I've been living in Vietnam and haven't played a tournament since 2014 or 2015. If I come back to play a tournament, what happens? I start at my old rating?
Yes they start you on your old rating. However if you play really poorly or if you play really well, they will adjust your rating so other players do not gain or do not lose too many rating points. That is done after the tournament where they enter all the data.

I last played in tournament back in 2009. I was rated 1650 back then. I am determined not to return to playing a single tournament until I am fairly confident that I am a 2000 level player. Lol! :) :) Also I am sick of losing to little kids who play 7 days a week. Until I get to about 2000, I will lose to a lot of rising junior players along the way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes they start you on your old rating. However if you play really poorly or if you play really well, they will adjust your rating so other players do not gain or do not lose too many rating points. That is done after the tournament where they enter all the data.

I last played in tournament back in 2009. I was rated 1650 back then. I am determined not to return to playing a single tournament until I am fairly confident that I am a 2000 level player. Lol! :) :) Also I am sick of losing to little kids who play 7 days a week. Until I get to about 2000, I will lose to a lot of rising junior players along the way.
One of my friends went to USA
beats a 2600 and 2500 player
That was a decade ago, she was rated in the 2500 level.

She hasn't been in USA since then haha.
I think at best, she is 2200~2300.
But she beat a 2600+ Mark Hazinski back then.
She was a high level LP chop blocker and obviously Mark had trouble the first time round

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If you live in the NE USA around NJ, PA or MD along I95 or the California areas, you can find a tournament almost every week if you really want to play.

Focusing on rating is really a losing game, though I get why we all do it. Other than maybe for kids who get ranking, what a rating really does is help you get better seeding for certain events. Seeding matters when you want to avoid playing stronger players earlier. But if you want to win your event, the main thing is to beat the players in front of you. Rating doesn't affect that agenda.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
USA is a huge country, it will depend on where in Ohio you are... but pretty much not matters as you would need to drive way to long to get to the monthly tourney action on East Coast... MD/DC or NYC.

Still Ohio averages a tourney + a month between Akron, Columbus, and Plain City.

You will not see the tourneys 4 months ahead on Omnipong or USATT tourney list. maybe you see them a month or two out on those sites.

You should still be able to find tourney action in Ohio.

Another way to go about it is to go to the huge TT center and announce a Chicken dinner RR... Asian adults love this. You get 6 players and do a RR. person finishing first eats for free, then second place pays $12... 3rd place pays $18, 4th place pays $24... 5th place pays $30... last place pays $36... that is $120 USD and should be able to feed 6 grown men at a chicken place. If the places are more expensive, then either make the payment distributions higher, or divide the remainder equally. They do it just like that in Korea.

The Chicken RR is EVEN MORE COMPETITIVE than a real tourney. NO ONE wants to fund most of the dinner bill.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I've improved quite a bit since I've been in Vietnam. I'm probably right on the edge of 2000. Let's say solid 1950 to be safe, but it could be higher. It's been a long time since I've played anyone with a current USATT rating.
Yes the playing level in Vietnam is most likely much higher than in the US!

USA is a huge country, it will depend on where in Ohio you are... but pretty much not matters as you would need to drive way to long to get to the monthly tourney action on East Coast... MD/DC or NYC.

Still Ohio averages a tourney + a month between Akron, Columbus, and Plain City.

You will not see the tourneys 4 months ahead on Omnipong or USATT tourney list. maybe you see them a month or two out on those sites.

You should still be able to find tourney action in Ohio.

Another way to go about it is to go to the huge TT center and announce a Chicken dinner RR... Asian adults love this. You get 6 players and do a RR. person finishing first eats for free, then second place pays $12... 3rd place pays $18, 4th place pays $24... 5th place pays $30... last place pays $36... that is $120 USD and should be able to feed 6 grown men at a chicken place. If the places are more expensive, then either make the payment distributions higher, or divide the remainder equally. They do it just like that in Korea.

The Chicken RR is EVEN MORE COMPETITIVE than a real tourney. NO ONE wants to fund most of the dinner bill.
Id be willing to drive 3 or 4 hours to find a tournament. That would include any city in Ohio. Lexington or Louisville, Kentucky. Indianapolis or Ft Wayne, Indiana. Even Detroit could be an option. The only thing is, I wouldn't want to play a tournament the first weekend I arrive. I need some time to adjust to the time zone. I also don't eat fried chicken. 😂 Lol

Reactions: JeffM and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Id be willing to drive 3 or 4 hours to find a tournament. That would include any city in Ohio. Lexington or Louisville, Kentucky. Indianapolis or Ft Wayne, Indiana. Even Detroit could be an option. The only thing is, I wouldn't want to play a tournament the first weekend I arrive. I need some time to adjust to the time zone. I also don't eat fried chicken. 😂 Lol
When will you move back to the US permanently? Don't worry. If you are good, you are good. Wait for a few extras will be fine :) :)