Visit Korea for the TT ^_^ (With a lot of Pics)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Recently, you all saw a thread about my new friend Firdaus making a visit to Korea for sightseeing, enjoying time with friends, and of course TABLE TENNIS !!!

Going to a new country, NOT knowing anyone there, AND trying to do stuff is usually a recipe for EPIC failure. Well, in most cases, YES. However, Firdaus is not your average dude. He found my TT association on Facebook and made a thread on TT Daily asking where to play, where to go, how to do stuff, etc. That was one smart move as he nearly instantly found and made friends, who showed him a few things here, which helped him go places, meet people, see the REAL Korea, see and interact with REAL sincere people, and of course enjoy a LOT of TT action!

I met up with Firdaus twice, but times with TT daily Member BricePhan, once at Brice's Korean TT club (where these pics came from) and once yesterday.

The pics below show only a FRACTION of the good times we had. Really, we enjoyed more fun than humans should be allowed.

Meeting #1, we all met up at a subway station, got on the metro, and arrived at Brice's Korean club. We did a couple hours of TT and played each other in singles, and joined up as doubles playing against the club members. Brice's GF and I teamed up in doubles and took out the coach and a top player in the club ^_^. Brice and Firdaus had a blast playing both singles and doubles. Firdaus took pics of us, and I took the pics of team Firdaus/BricePhan... we also went out for veggie pizza and Brice and I continued with some beers at his flat. it was too late to take subway and I showered and crashed there and got in trouble at home coming back. Good mission worth the wrath.

Meeting #2, we met up at the most hopping party spot in the entire nation, walked around the neighborhood looking for an appropriate place to eat, talked and enjoyed ourselves. I suggested we go to Gongdeok stn area, eat in an old-fashioned marketplace style restaurant, then go to a former national player's club for some TT. That plan simply could not fail. We got to the old-school market restaurant complex of 25 restaurants in a maze of old-school market, immediately 3 different owners popped out of the woodwork and tried to kidnap us all make us eat at their restaurant HAHA. The last one helped us out as I told that older lady we were all looking for a cooked fish place. She led us through the maze to another old-school joint. There were two workers there, both sisters in saem family. I think the whole complex restaurant owners are from the same 3 families! There were a couple of older gents finishing their meal and killing some Soju. (powerful clear drink that will get you drunk off your arse in no time for $2 a bottle) We asked for pan-cooked fish. The owner brought us a table full of veggie side dishes. Of course Kimchi was one of them, but there were also cabbage, BEAN SPROUTS (Yeah!), Garlic (Double Yeah!) spicy HOT peppers (Triple Yeah!) and you get the idea. I asked for extra veggies for my needing nourishment and she delivered promptly.

Koreans in these places RARELY se a foreigner in this place as it is off the beaten path, which makes it a PERFECT place to see and experience REAL Korea without anything fake. We ended up killing fish after fish. owner kept giving us fish as service and tons of moar veggie side dishes. We talked with owners and the two old gents. They were grateful to see Foreigners there, especially ones who eat more veggies than them, plus speak great Korean. they never see that, so they were happy and bought us another bottle of beer. Crap, I was trying to go light. It's the late night beers keeping me slightly fat. Oh well, it was just one, split between me and Brice, so it didn't kill us by itself. We finally finished the mountain of healthy food (only the over-refined cooking oil unhealthy) (a small amount of that is bad, but won't kill me) and paid our meal. WOW! it was like under $25 for the entire meal. ALL 3 of us gorged on fish and veggies in an authentic atmosphere for less than $8 USD each! doesn't get any better than that folks!

That can be a typical experience if one does a little networking to make friends before arriving. I have been hooking up new friends like that regularly. I will unfortunately be leaving Korea this fall, but Brice and other friends will likely be on ground in Korea to help everyone.

Here are the pics from meeting #1...

The crew, all of us at the TT club with the owner. Firdaus on left, Team Brice in middle, owner on right. Some foreign joker wearing an orange KFTTC lettered jersey hanging out on middle left.

29.jpg

The venue... Sang-Am TTC

33.jpg

Firdaus posing with the Der_Echte taught cheer...

34.jpg

Brice and William playing a doubles match vs some Achuma ladies

4.jpg

The opponents... One had sponged LP on BH, which I like playing against.

5.jpg6.jpg

More club action...

9.jpg8.jpg16.jpg

My medium high toss clear serve

11.jpg

My opponent's rear no-toss hidden serve. Amatures do not give a crap about ITTF manufactured BS rules. They just like to play.
So.. I better be ready to deal with it, because these players will not change their ways just because ITTF wants to change.

12.jpg 13.jpg

William (Der_Echte) vs Brice in singles

14.jpg

Brice and Firdaus in action vs the Achuma team...

17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg20.jpg22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg25.jpg

I am a walking advertisement...

26.jpg

team Brice in action...

28.jpg

The after TT action at the Pizza joint...

36.jpg 35.jpg

says I am Newbie in this forum...please take care of me...tq
Mar 2012
Read 1 reviews
Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371619049742.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371619049742.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 188
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371619103549.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371619103549.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 176
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371619143248.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371619143248.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 188
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371619170960.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371619170960.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 177
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371619193405.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371619193405.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: Der_Echte
Mar 2012
Read 1 reviews
Visit to tak9.com HQ, i went with William, the superstar tabletennis sponsored by tak9.com. Wiliam can get 20% discount on nexy, tibhar n stiga product. I bought nexy orange bag with 20% discount. Hehe. Really like tak9.com store, lot of stuff there..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371620293150.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371620293150.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 187
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371620360198.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371620360198.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 186
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371620385921.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371620385921.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 178
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371620411984.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371620411984.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 182
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371620433564.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371620433564.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 189
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371620490600.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371620490600.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 182
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371620641288.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371620641288.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 180
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371620736766.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371620736766.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 174
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371620809601.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371620809601.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 170
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Uploading pics using smartphone much easier... Haha, tq Williams

but those pics are so low quality, man T_T i was very much looking forward to the pic in Lee Jae Chul's club, but it turns out too low resolution and is just broken down into pieces when i zoom-in to fit my monitor.. Btw, hope you enjoyed seoul and table tennis here, glad u got many stuffs from William's club as well ^^ we are planning to go there as well, after final exam, perhaps :D

Mar 2012
Read 1 reviews
Brice, sorry dude... never try to upload something on this forum before, still consider as A beginner here. Maybe if u want really a good quality of pics, i can send it using email. Much better. :) Just PM me your email, then i will send it to you.

Reactions: bricephan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
short trip to seoul

Hi!

I chanced upon this forum and am wondering if there's any place for foreigners to drop in and have a game or 2?I'm visiting seoul in mid-july for a few days. Just curious, must one be like a professional or something in order to visit the clubs and play at leisure?

thanks!

Reactions: Dan
Mar 2012
Read 1 reviews
Hi!

I chanced upon this forum and am wondering if there's any place for foreigners to drop in and have a game or 2?I'm visiting seoul in mid-july for a few days. Just curious, must one be like a professional or something in order to visit the clubs and play at leisure?

thanks!

The best place for foreigner in Korea is Itaewon. Maybe William and Brice Phan can help to go to tt club there. They're really friendly. :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi!

thanks!

You MUST play at least ONCE in Korea GYM TTC. Brice does tourneys there sometimes and can help you get there. I will be really busy in July going back and forth from north of Seoul to work way south of Seoul. Huge club with tourneys on weekends, but there are boatloads of places to play around Seoul!

http://9jang.com/front/php/product.php?product_no=41&main_cate_no=&display_group=

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
pawpawlee... If you are adventurous to come to my club north of Seoul, I promise you TT action. Brice will visit my club soon and hopefully post a ton of pics and stories to this thread. You can judge for yourself if it is worth a one hour subway ride up here. I think it surely is...

Mar 2012
Read 1 reviews
You MUST play at least ONCE in Korea GYM TTC. Brice does tourneys there sometimes and can help you get there. I will be really busy in July going back and forth from north of Seoul to work way south of Seoul. Huge club with tourneys on weekends, but there are boatloads of places to play around Seoul!

http://9jang.com/front/php/product.php?product_no=41&main_cate_no=&display_group=

Seoul have great table tennis gym clubs! Pawpawlee u should at least go once b4 leave seoul.... If u can meet Wiliam, it will be great... He really awesome, n friendly.... If possible, he want someone visiting him at least can beat him... Haha

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl