What's kou lei level compare to these china local leagues?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
The standard of play is so high. Kou Lei's opponent must be better than local league level in China? He must be a top provincial player?

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
Kou Lei was WR20 at his peak. He's now down to 183. but his USATT rating is over 2800 still. Now sure the names of these players in this video but we were able to know their names and if they had a WR, we might be able to make a semi accurate comparison.

Just to remind you, WR is completely meaningless because you get points based on whether you've won ITTF tournaments. If you stop playing for ITTF, then your ranking will drop to the bottom, but your skill level will be the same. Only the top 3 Chinese players ever get to compete, so none of the other Chinese players ever get ITTF points and they are low-ranked in WR. However, their skill level is all near the top 3. If we ranked by skill rather than ITTF points, then China would dominate the list, probably top 15 men in the world or more.

I would say Kou Lei is currently definitely probably at a similar level to these guys in the vid: "provincial level", "superleague player", something like that. However, it's difficult to say because Kou Lei isn't in this video and these guys look much faster than Kou Lei is. But who's to say that Kou Lei wouldn't let these guys use their speed if Kou Lei played them? A good reference video to show Kou Lei's skill is his game against Jun Mizutani, one of the top players in the world. Kou Lei put up a good fight and won many points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Why doesn't Kou Lei play in China superleague? Actually why is he playing USATT tournaments at all if he's world ITTF level.

Isn't USA like a relatively weak country in TT? Why doesn't Kou Lei play in Germany or France or Japan or something? What am I missing?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
Why doesn't Kou Lei play in China superleague? Actually why is he playing USATT tournaments at all if he's world ITTF level.

Isn't USA like a relatively weak country in TT? Why doesn't Kou Lei play in Germany or France or Japan or something? What am I missing?
He plays professionally in ITTF representing Ukraine. Prob more money in the US for him because he wins every tournament (except the last 2) + coaching. And apparently he even has a club now that I assume he collects fees for. Congrats to him winning $10k today though.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
So he just plays USATT tournaments to collect $10k here and there? He doesn't want to compete against the best or other top Euro players, but just bullies USATT players to collect money?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
So he just plays USATT tournaments to collect $10k here and there? He doesn't want to compete against the best or other top Euro players, but just bullies USATT players to collect money?

Yeah I guess so. But you don't have to be so negative. He's a good challenge and practice for top US players like Zhou Xin, Jishan Liang, and Nikhil Kumar. He's also training people at his own club, I guess his way of giving back. btw, this discussion is off-topic. This thread is about whether he's the same level as the Chinese provincial players in the vid.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.

He did play China Super League representing Beijing, but it seems something happened and he left and will never be back to China Super League.
I believe playing USATT tournaments is not only for the prize, but also promotes his club and his coaching.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
He did play in the bundesliga with mediocre success. First year he was 1-5 and second year he was 6-8.

So he wasn't really a top bundesliga player but to win any games in the bundesliga you must be really good and definitely a lot better than local players.

He is now 35 and past his prime, maybe he also isn't super motivated to compete full time at the international level anymore and he just wants to live and maybe coach in the US and play some tournaments.

​​He can also play internationally still because ukraine for some reason isn't a big table tennis country.

That being said he still is a good player. He won round 1 and then lost in 7 sets against omar assar in the 2021 olympics (who went on to beat mattias falck and chuang chih yuan and even won a set against ma long).

He probably never really was the 20th best player in the world as some Chinese and even japanese who are better probably never play internationally but still a very good player who probably was among the 50 best in the world.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Some of the discussions and the way they are framed are coming from h amateurs who may not have spoken to the top players or their friends about what it feels like to be a professional.

Someone on mytt pointed out that Kou Lei was a player whose game improved when he started using Europeam rubbers (per Stellan Bengston). Watching his overall stroke approach, you can see how that would be the case.

We have had Superleague or just below Superleague level players in the US from Xin Zhou to Tao Wenzhang and Bob Chen and etc. There was one that I can't remember his name who had a great touch game. These guys are flesh and blood people too. Very rarely outside the Chinese system would they be able to keep their rankings in Europe. The fact that Kou Lei kept his level despite not being exposed to such a level has in my opinion shows he had something above these guys.

The pressures and demands of league play and training are very special. Some players do well with it, some don't. A foreign (not European) player on a league team takes the only spot allocated for that player. As an aside, this is why the recent cloud around Kanak is so painful to me.

In the end, Kou Lei's play speaks for itself. We dont get that level of talent hanging around to coach in the US very often so we should enjoy it while it lasts

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
How is Kou Lei's level against these guys?

I find Zhu Yi's game quite attractive. Seems like he has really good hand feeling and control on the ball.