Who here plays with griptape on the blade handle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
The "yinhe-grip" is a good idea but they are a bit too thick. The edges must be sanded, otherwise it is irritating.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Back in then 70's when i played as a Junior, I used grip tape or latex surgical tubing. Usually used the surgical tubing in warmer/more humid weather as I tend to sweat a lot. The tubing was a stone cold bitch to get onto even a straight handle but it worked great. I still have a paddle from those days with it on it and it is still tacky.

These days, I use a wrapping of a product called Vetrap by 3M (there's a knockoff called Syrflex Cohesive Bandage often sold at Co-Ops and farm supply stores too). It is a bandage roll that doesnt contain any adhesive and gives a soft grippy feel to any shaped handle. Its very lightweight and you can get any thickness you like. Pretty inexpensive too.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Back in then 70's when i played as a Junior, I used grip tape or latex surgical tubing. Usually used the surgical tubing in warmer/more humid weather as I tend to sweat a lot. The tubing was a stone cold bitch to get onto even a straight handle but it worked great. I still have a paddle from those days with it on it and it is still tacky.

These days, I use a wrapping of a product called Vetrap by 3M (there's a knockoff called Syrflex Cohesive Bandage often sold at Co-Ops and farm supply stores too). It is a bandage roll that doesnt contain any adhesive and gives a soft grippy feel to any shaped handle. Its very lightweight and you can get any thickness you like. Pretty inexpensive too.
interesting, what with of the band do you use ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
interesting, what with of the band do you use ?
It'll vary by the individual paddle size/shape, but iirc for my straight, relatively small handle (glen cowan model, 1971) it is 1.25 or 1.5".
Side note: its all but impossible to find larger diameter surgical tubing in less than roll lengths. I've even alerted all my friends in the medical field to be on the lookout for scraps but no luck so far.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
It'll vary by the individual paddle size/shape, but iirc for my straight, relatively small handle (glen cowan model, 1971) it is 1.25 or 1.5".
Side note: its all but impossible to find larger diameter surgical tubing in less than roll lengths. I've even alerted all my friends in the medical field to be on the lookout for scraps but no luck so far.
Sorry my friend our signals got crossed here, I tried to ask you about the width of the Vetrap tape
Life is hard 😂