Why would you use short pips?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews

Many players find SP’s easier to control (and for a lot of players the BH is more of a controlling shot)

Potentially a faster/more direct shot (if the pimples are used properly)

To add variety of spin (as compared to using the same rubber on both sides). Maybe they even twiddle their bat during the rally or during serves to try and mess up the opponent.

Maybe they’ve just always played that way (not everyone starts out with double inverted)

Perhaps they naturally have more of a flat hit. This is the reason why Matthias Falck uses SP’s on his FH, but no reason why the same logic couldn’t apply to thd BH.

Maybe they also play hard-bat and don’t want to diverge too greatly from that.

and probably loads of other reasons other players can come up with too!

Yes, those are the answers I was looking for. One more thing that helps is the large difference in spins from BH to FH. I switched from inverted to LP and played for 5 years but found it was hard (for me) to attack and the LP spin is too predictable for many advanced amateurs.

Reactions: Stuart Marquis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021

The OP is "Why would someone use short pips on their backhand?". It seems people got carried away. Can you guys go straight to the point?

Short pips means more speed and less spin, which also means less spin sensitivity. If you don’t rely on spin it may be a good option.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
If you are an openminded competitive amateur, you can also look at the following two webpages & make an analysis & decide whether or not short pips is garbage as a weakside rubber & if you should be wasting your life away on social rubbers if you are a competitive player

http://dittf.atwebpages.com/sp/s7.htm
https://ioctt.com/kg/parametrics.htm

You're posting a webpage created by you as if it's evidence to support your position?!?!? I might as well quote my own posts as evidence that my own posts are correct! 🤣

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
It all goes back to what I have been saying about forums (not just this forum) > Obsess about the poster with a closed mind (& dismiss them as trolls) Don't judge the content of the post with an openmind.
Again as I said you can totally block out a poster in forum settings if you are so incredibly offended by their postings.
You are under no obligation to read (or flame them)

You'd be more likely to be judged with an open mind if you weren't posting under multiple usernames. There is no valid reason to be doing that in what should be an open and honest debate. You'd also be more likely to be taken seriously if you were honest about the authorship of the "evidence" you're posting and were not making such unrealistic claims. If you want to say SP are a poor choice, then just say they're a poor choice and provide the evidence...but as soon as you start saying they're "totally useless" you lose all credibility, and rightly so. You do everything possible to discredit yourself and then complain when other people do the same. 🤷

Reactions: Tipiak
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
I am by no means suggesting that teh webpage you proposed is 100% fake but what is crazy is that you seem to suggest that one should not even look at the webpages I point to simply because I said so. that is hilarious.

Oh well

. .

I'm not suggesting people shouldn't look at them. What I'm saying is that you should be honest about the fact that you authored at least one of them. Posting a webpage as if it's independent evidence to support your position, when in fact you actually created the webpage yourself, is what I'm calling out. Just be honest and say "here's my webpage that summarises what I'm saying" etc rather than trying to pass it off as a webpage that you're not connected with.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
My postion on this from my years of being on internet fromits inception days, is that one should never flaunt themselves on interent & hide as much as possible from internet ( I know t is hard but worth minimizing one's interet presence)

This is why one should always be on social media etc only with a posting a handle even it is necessary.
Social media IMO is a complete waste of time..

Internet is one the most amazing inventions but it is still primitive and beter to hide from it as much as possible if you are humble person.

You have the right to remain silent . Anything you say (or said 20 years agos) on social media can & will be used against you (in a court of law & court of public opinion)

This is completely irrelevant to the point I made. I said that you would be judged with a more open mind by other forum members if you weren't posting on the forum under multiple usernames. Nothing you have said above explains or justifies why you need to post under multiple account names. Would you like to explain why you post under multiple accounts?

I have no problem with people setting up an account under a fictitious name...but setting up multiple accounts under multiple different names is suspicious; there is no legitimate reason for doing this and I'm pretty certain is also breaks forum rules (perhaps a moderator can confirm that?).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews

You are not open-minded so how can you find open-minded people in this forum to agree with you?

People disagree with you not because they are close-minded. In fact, they are very open-minded because they find your opinions are not acceptable to their experience. And you should be open-minded enough to accept different experience.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
OK NP
As far as I am concerned all it matters to me is that I have gotten my point across to openmindeed people who evaluate my posts on thier merits. There will always be forum members who overly obsess about the poster and even threaten to block me as if I really care.If a forum member that closeminded so be it & is beyond my control.. . So if my post are deleted now & I am banned for whatever reasons no worries. No love lost..

Yes, but you’re still not explaining why you post under multiple accounts! If your goal is to get your points across to open minded people that will evaluate them on their merits, then why behave in a way that will reduce the likelihood of that happening? Why adopt behaviour that will increase the likelihood of your posts being dismissed before they’ve been properly read?

says If you are thinking of posting a visitor's message here...
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

multiple accounts.....(perhaps a moderator can confirm that?).

It is true that this is usually something we don't want on the forum. S-Jan has been popping up with new profiles for years. In the past he has gotten banned for some outrageous stuff he said that has not happened so far over the past few months. Since I know he will join again and again under new profiles, I am just letting things progress.

It would be nice if he just stuck to one profile. But, as of now, he has not been offensive. And I would rather him be able to say what he has to say.

I just wish people would wait 24 hours and decide if they actually even want to engage in back and forth discussions with him.

However, he really does know some things about the history of the sport and if you asked him questions about certain things, we might get to see some of what he actually has to offer about the sport and rule changes over the past few decades.

Kanye, would you like to explain the rule changes from the 80s that you think were not good for the sport?

How about giving some of the details about the rule changes that happened in 1998 that were a big change. And how many fewer defensive players are in the pro ranks as a result of some of these changes? I do think it would be good for people to hear your opinions on some of those changes. So, please feel free to explain some of what got you to have the opinion of the ITTF that you have. History can be useful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
It is true that this is usually something we don't want on the forum. S-Jan has been popping up with new profiles for years. In the past he has gotten banned for some outrageous stuff he said that has not happened so far over the past few months. Since I know he will join again and again under new profiles, I am just letting things progress.

It would be nice if he just stuck to one profile. But, as of now, he has not been offensive. And I would rather him be able to say what he has to say.

I just wish people would wait 24 hours and decide if they actually even want to engage in back and forth discussions with him.

However, he really does know some things about the history of the sport and if you asked him questions about certain things, we might get to see some of what he actually has to offer about the sport and rule changes over the past few decades.

Kanye, would you like to explain the rule changes from the 80s that you think were not good for the sport?

How about giving some of the details about the rule changes that happened in 1998 that were a big change. And how many fewer defensive players are in the pro ranks as a result of some of these changes? I do think it would be good for people to hear your opinions on some of those changes. So, please feel free to explain some of what got you to have the opinion of the ITTF that you have. History can be useful.

I agree with this 100%. I certainly don’t want anyone banned from the forum. I’d just like to understand why someone would post under multiple usernames; it adds nothing to the quality of the argument being expressed and only serves to make people suspicious about the motives behind the posts.

Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I agree with this 100%. I certainly don’t want anyone banned from the forum. I’d just like to understand why someone would post under multiple usernames; it adds nothing to the quality of the argument being expressed and only serves to make people suspicious about the motives behind the posts.

He has been banned from every forum sooooo many times that.....I think that had something to do with it. But, if he doesn't make personal attacks, I am okay with him posting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
SP has advantages, but also many more serious disadvantages.
This is an excellent point. However, the advantages of short pips are only on the strongside, that too only if you have the skills to pull it off. & only few can at any level of the sport Most players who are not old & even can loop decently are better off using spinny inverted on strong side. But I can also see some older (especially newcomers) players who cannot loop at all being better off with short pips on forehand ( But from what I have seen most of these older players who cannot loop just choose spinny inverted both sides just because it is the social thing to do) . This is so sad because short pips with sponge on strong side & frictionless OX pips on weakside is the best racket for them (preferably with same black color rubber both sides 😝)

Unfortunately long pips is a far superior choice to spinny inverted on your weakside assuming your weakside is indeed much weaker (for looping) on your weakside as is the case for most amateurs. Unless of course you are a pro for whom the wekaside is almost as good your strong side for looping. Even if you are a good hitter / blocker on your weakside, long pips is a much better choice because (passive) return of serve is somewhat of a problem even with inverted (in the weakside mode) and the problemis is much much worse with short pips. On the other hand safe returns of serve with built-in complexities & natural variations are the superior strength of long pips, especially against pips haters.

Also a combination racket of spinny inverted (mostly onstrong side) & long pips (mostly on wekside) provides the most contrast in spins & variations as compared to a inverted strong side & short pips on weakside combination. Of course short pips (mostly on) strong side & spinny inverted (mostly on) weakside as done by Liu Guoliang & Mattias Falck can be a lethal combination & even may work for many RPH loopers but the % of players who can succeed with this is low because the % players who can succeed with short pips itself is very low at all levels of the sport. (Of course short pips both sides like Johnny Huang is the most lethal & best combination, but how many other players do you know at any level like this ?)

Of course lot of players use spinny inverted or short pips or anti on weakside in the social mode because of fear of rejection & ridcule by two winged loopers and there is not a thing I can do about that.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Its a fact that Short Pips have disadvantages. I play them for two and a half years now, and still struggle from time to time.

SP are hard to play against low no spin balls, i just lost a match in my league to a no spin player because the window for a good shot is so tight with sp. He has the same rating as me, the lost match is OK for me - but it showed me again how challenging sp are. If your feet are off a little and you are under pressure, the window gets really small.

Nexy match against a two winged looper was an easy win, but he gave me spin to work with.

Now my EJ Brain tells me to move to inverted for higher tolerance at bad days or uncomfortable opponents 😅