Xu Xin against all odds wins the China Open World Tour 2012! (VIDEO)

Last Sunday on the 27th May 2012 local hero Xu Xin won the GAC GROUP 2012 ITTF World Tour China Open on home soil. Xu Xin from Shanghai defeated compatriot World number 1 Ma Long in an epic six games (6-11, 11-7, 11-3, 11-3, 11-6) to secure his second ITTF World Tour Title this year.

xuwinqatar2012.jpg

Xu Xin, Photo by: english.people.com.cn

The players commented on their performance below as cited by ittf.com

Xu Xin happy with form

"I was happy to enjoy home advantage given that I originally came from the Shanghai Team”, said Xu Xin. “The crowd really supported me; I am really pleased with my current form, although I still have a great deal to learn from my teammates who have been selected to participate in the Olympics.

No place in the Chinese Olympic Team but in Shanghai he proved the point indelibly that if the regulations allowed, he would be more than worthy of a place; his immediate avowed goal is to be selected as the reserve for the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Ma Long Philiosophical

Success for Xu Xin, defeat for Ma Long but the eventual silver medallist was not too downhearted.

"I am glad that both Xu Xin and myself put up a good fight today; whenever I am up against my teammate Xu Xin, I have to strive to bring out the best”, reflected Ma Long. “Unfortunately, I fell short in the final this time; there are certain areas I still need to work on and improve; I believe I still have time to fix them before the Olympics."

Video of the match below in perfect quality! :)

To catch up on all the very latest videos from the China Open click here

Like and tweet our articles to the world. Let's spread the word about table tennis!

TableTennisDaily