Brushing the ball is useless? (World champion FangBo‘s training class)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
In this case you are hoping your opponent doesn't keep the ball low.

You are correct. You shouldn't drive a ball that is lower than the net. There are players who can keep the ball low and spinny enough that it dives after it hits the table. 50cm away from the table the ball is at or below table height. Good luck to anyone trying to drive that ball with a fixed 45 degree angle and forward motion - the angle that the ball is diving will almost be the same as the angle of the bat. And that angle will increase the further away from the table they are. It's extremely low margin for error. The only option is to take the ball early with a good brush, or chop it. Otherwise even if they don't airball, and even if they do land it, the ball will be high and slow and an easy put away.

It's also difficult to drive a no-spin ball (eg: from pimples) without a good brush to first control it. Most people I find don't have a good brush and would play worse if they just tried to drive the ball more. Unless of course all they get from other players are high balls. But against a quality low ball this is a bad idea.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
okay "energy" is another word for it, sorry for my English not being precise.
Energy is the correct word for it.
People generate power, not equipment and balls have rotational and translational energy. TT balls have a mass of about 2.7 grams.

There for formulas for the rotational and translational energy of a ball. The mass of the ball is fixed at about 2.7 grams.

[quote[
In this video even Ma Long use brush loops to setup the attack pattern, but IMO he also impact the ball a lot using force from his legs, make it carries more "energy/weight".

energy is not weight. Stop using incorrect terms. You should know better.

Also the magnus effect you mentioned can even be more visible in the counter looping rallies - the bigger the impact, the spinier the balls.
[/quote[
The Magnus effect is always there as long as the ball is spinning. It is a matter of degree. Like I said, the Magnus effect is roughly proportional to the spin x speed.

So what I want to say is, brush loops will be more effective if you put some impacts into it, not just friction alone.
It depends but in general more speed and spin is more energy but the ball can't be moving so fast that is doesn't have time to drop on to the table due to gravity or the Magnus effect.

[quote[
You can't get to higher levels using only frictions.
[/quote[
I never said that. It isn't an all or nothing thing. There is a continuum between flat hitting and brushing and better players know how much brushing or hitting they should do for a given stroke.

Reactions: longle
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The problem with the video is that he is talking about friction first being wrong. He is talking as if it is an all or nothing thing. It isn't. There is an optimal spin to speed ratio for every shot and that depends on the circumstances. Sometimes I must hit the ball from below the net or even from below the table. I can't just 'whack' at it, I want a lot of spin and little speed because I must hit the ball up to get it over the net. The spin and gravity bring the ball down. The Magnus force/acceleration can be equal or even exceed the force/acceleration due to gravity so the Magnus effect is crucial to keeping the ball from going of the end of the table when I need to hit the ball up to get it over the net.

The Chinese have another word for loop. It is la qiu. qiu is pronounced like cho. It means pull ball where the rubber and tangential component of the stroke drag the ball over the net. The paddle is usually closed so unless the tangential speed is high enough, the ball will go into the net. The ball must be pulled/dragged over the net. This way it has a lot of spin and will land on the other side.

BTW, the Magnus force/acceleration is roughly proportional to the spin x speed. If the speed is too high the ball will not have time to drop even if the Magnus effect is high.

Balls have energy.
Yeah, modern players use more fast loops but occasionally when the ball is very low they will still use a slow lifting loop. Also against choppers it helps if you can hit slow loops to alternate it with fast loops. It probably is best if you can do both.