Are the dampening sponges still legitimate?

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012

Yes, player's racket is judged legit as long as it passes the "elasticity test" on pre-match racket examination.

The Instant Test for Rubber Elasticity
— Press a thumb onto the rubber for a moment and see if some permanent pocks to happen on the rubber surface. Any visible deformations (=pocks, finger prints) left on the surface will invalidate the racket, and it must be replaced prior to a match.
_________
FAIR PLAY FIRST.

IMPORTANTE TO NOTE: Some EVA plastics are known to cause permanent inelastic deformation upon the ball impact. Those inelastic materials, EVA foamed sheets and the like, don't recover well upon the ball impact and must be disallowed from the sport. The aforesayed elasticity test needs no specific instrument, and each player can do it by himself , so as to prevent himself from possible troubles.
WARNING: We were reported some anti-rubbers with so called "energy absorption effect" proved a total failure in the elasticity test for, most likely, the non-elastic sponge attached underneath.
The List of toxic sponge materials to invalidate your racket

☢ Antie's by Lion
☢ Antie's by Lion
☢ Antie's by Lion
☢ and many more

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Yes, player's racket is judged legit as long as it passes the "elasticity test" on pre-match racket examination.

The Instant Test for Rubber Elasticity
— Press a thumb onto the rubber for a moment and see if some permanent pocks to happen on the rubber surface. Any visible deformations (=pocks, finger prints) left on the surface will invalidate the racket, and it must be replaced prior to a match.
That would invalidate Giant Dragon Guard. I bought a sheet just to see what a Chinese "Anti" would be like. I was disappointed compared to the Japanese Antis I used at the time. ( Butterfly Super Anti, Yasaka Anti Power, and Nitaku Best Anti. I don't see why the antis must past this test but I also don't see why anyone would buy Giant Dragon Guard. It was slow because the sponge had no "trampoline" effect and the top sheet was not that frictionless. It was just a very slow rubber to have on your BH. The only good thing about it that you could block short and at angles or even chop a bit because the top sheet had more friction than a normal anti.

The ITTF makes up too many rules and restrictions about what rubbers are valid or invalid and the ITTF can't justify their arbitrary rules.

Reactions: merlin el mago