Equipment setup - Timo Boll ALC with Xiom Rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
I played recreationally for a few years when young and recently started playing regularly in a league a few months back. I've been using a pre-made Stiga Pro Carbon racket and have a USATT rating of 1200. I want to upgrade my equipment and was recommended the following setup:
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH rubber: Xiom Omega V Pro
BH rubber: Xiom Omega V Euro

On initial research, it seems like the two rubbers might be a good fit for early intermediate players as they are not too fast and allow you to develop your game. However, I am not sure how effective they will be with the Timo Boll ALC blade. How do I evaluate whether this is the right setup for me?

• Wow
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
No, please... make yourself a favor and don't switch from a Citroen 2CV kind of racket to a Porsche 911 one. The gap is way too big, 1200 USATT is not enough yet to handle an ALC outer with koto blade. Bear in mind clubs buy dozens of those pre-made Stiga Pro Carbon rackets when noobies come and want to try table tennis. There are way more interesting alternatives: 5 ply all wood, 7 plys all wood blades. With that USATT rating you would be alble to compete in the last tier league in France, and here nobody uses carbon blade until they reach at least the 2000 USATT equivalent (1500 FFTT).

Only recreational playing + some months in a league is clearly not enough experience to handle ALC outer blades. AT ALL ! You need at least 2 to 4 years with a coach and serious training at least twice a week to be able to handle that kind of blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
you going up way too many levels in terms of playing equipment
99% certain that the new equipment will be too fast and not enjoyable for you.

On Xiom front, go Xiom Allround Classic blade
and pair with Xiom Vega Pro or Vega Euro rubbers

I would say, if you not even USATT1500, don't even think about carbon

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
That makes sense. Is there a reason you recommend Xiom Vega Pro & Euro rubbers over Xiom Omega?

Do you have recommendations for other 5 ply all wood or 7 ply all wood blades besides Xiom Allround Classic blade? Came across Butterfly Petr Korbel (made in Japan) and it sounds like a good fit too.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
That makes sense. Is there a reason you recommend Xiom Vega Pro & Euro rubbers over Xiom Omega?

Do you have recommendations for other 5 ply all wood or 7 ply all wood blades besides Xiom Allround Classic blade? Came across Butterfly Petr Korbel (made in Japan) and it sounds like a good fit too.

for blade, any allround blade is a good start (from any brand)
Omega is faster.
if your level is not there, speed should be the last thing on your list. Control should be number 1, and when you can control it, then spin should be next. Speed is really the lat thing on the list to want.

Mind you, Vega rubbers can get you do USATT 2000 or higher
It is by no means "entry level"

Vega Euro is top 5 selling rubber in Japan (home of Butterfly, Nittaku etc, the only non Japanese brand/model to feature in Top 10)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
The Korbel is a classic 5 plies ayous-limba that is perfect for a beginner in his first year playing in a league, as you are. Christophe Legoût (former WR 11) recommends it for beginners on the Butterfly french e-shop.

Reactions: Equaaz
says Kristian Karlsson is the goat
says Kristian Karlsson is the goat
Dec 2022
Hello maverick, I think you should get a slower blade than alc and koto, if you want more control go for a 5 ply blade, like yasaka sweden extra or petr korbel made in japan. For rubbers if you want good spin and control I recommend yasaka rakza 7 soft, but the xiom vega rubbers are fine too :). I am not as good of a player too and I use rakza 7 on fh and 7 soft on bh so I think that should be a decent combo :)

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
I think getting an ALC blade is OK since you'd use the blade for the long time, so investing in a good one early is not a bad idea.

However, The Xiom Omega series are fast rubbers. Combining those with an ALC blade would likely to be too fast for early intermediate players. You may want to start with the Vega series which are more beginner friendly.