Overthinking: Avalox P500 BH rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Hello, I have been trying to theorize the most optimal backhand rubber for my Avalox P500 for the modern style of two wing attacking looper at a developing beginner level.

The blade itself is not optimal for the new plastic ball, but the minimalism in construction and superb touch and softness makes it good for both opening loop, blocks, touches close to the net, all the while being fast enough for playing from mid distance. I try not to rely on long rallies and I dont want to create the bad habit of automatically moving away from the table.

My forehand rubber, Rakza Z, works like a dream on this blade, but I have been struggling to find a fitting backhand rubber. I understand that most rubbers will work on my level, but I want a rubber that I can use for a long time since I have found that switching rubbers is more difficult than switching blades. I decided to start using Yasaka Mark V a year ago to help me develop my backhand. With this rubber I can place almost any ball back onto the table, but its hard to create any real threat from the spin or speed itself. This rubber works, especially since the spin difference between my backhand and forehand rubbers are quite large and can confuse some opponents.

Here are the backhand rubbers I have been considering (ranked in order) which tries to replicate the current metagame, but not necessarily at the speed (hardness) or effect/livelyhood of what the pros use:

1. Nittaku fastarc C-1
Pros:
- Supports the controlling backhand playstyle.
- Similar to Mark V in that there is not a lot of bounce to it, which compliments the bouncyness of the P500 blade itself.
- Durability!
- Not too heavy (medium) which balances out the heavy Rakza Z forehand rubber.
- Throw angle similar to Mark V, only slightly higher.
- Slightly faster than my forehand rubber, which is fitting for backhand rubbers in general.
Cons:
- Not similar to Mark V in that the surface is supposed to be grippy.
- Good in most areas of the game, but not exceptional in any.
- Might be too soft for the P500.
2. Donic Bluefire JP 03
Pros:
- Some players say this rubber fits well with P500
- Not too fast, fitting my off- blade (same speed as my forehand rubber).
Cons:
- Topsheet is not durable
- Weight is medium +, which is not preferrable with my heavy forehand rubber.

3. Donic Bluefire M3 (M2)
Pros:
- Very versatile and popular rubber.
- Tenergy 05 clone at lower speed and lower price.
- I know players that use it on their backhand to great effect on hard and flexible blade.
- Defensive backhand chopping works well with this rubber, which is a good skill to supplement a forehand dominant player.
Cons:
- Might be too soft for the P500 in terms of complementing the attacking game.
- Might be too bouncy for my preferred playstyle and my serves.
- Hard to control close to the net.
- High throw angle and will likely be hard to direct opponents incoming spin.
4. Xiom Vega Pro
Pros:
- A lot of players in my club use this, which makes me familiar with its properties.
- Cheap alternative to Tenergy 05.
- Works well on short strokes (backhand).
Cons:
- Weight is medium+, which is not preferrable with my heavy forehand rubber.
- The hardness and livelyhood of the rubber may be difficult to control on backhand on a flexible blade.
5. Yasaka Rakza X / Yasaka Rakza 9
Pros:
- Natural progression from Mark V in terms of similar properties and throw angle.
- Both rubbers are used to great effect on backhand by other players.
- 9 has good durability and light'ish weight.
Cons:
- X is mostly "meh" in all areas, but this "meh" makes it easy to control as well.
- 9 maybe too fast for my level + expensive.
6. Andro Rasanter R42
Pros:
- Highly praised online.
- Nice clicky sound.
- Enable artistic playstyle with lots of spin variation.
Cons:
- Bouncy rubber which is hard to control in the short game and serve receive for my level.
7. Joola Rhyzm-P
8. Yasaka Mark V HPS
9. Yaska Rakza 7
10. Yasaka Rising Dragon
11. friendship 729 super fx
12. Butterfly Rozena
13. DHS Gold Arc 5
14. Xiom Omega VII Pro
15. Xiom Vega Asia

... and many others, but I am tired of writing. Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hello, I have been trying to theorize the most optimal backhand rubber for my Avalox P500 for the modern style of two wing attacking looper at a developing beginner level.

The blade itself is not optimal for the new plastic ball, but the minimalism in construction and superb touch and softness makes it good for both opening loop, blocks, touches close to the net, all the while being fast enough for playing from mid distance. I try not to rely on long rallies and I dont want to create the bad habit of automatically moving away from the table.

My forehand rubber, Rakza Z, works like a dream on this blade, but I have been struggling to find a fitting backhand rubber. I understand that most rubbers will work on my level, but I want a rubber that I can use for a long time since I have found that switching rubbers is more difficult than switching blades. I decided to start using Yasaka Mark V a year ago to help me develop my backhand. With this rubber I can place almost any ball back onto the table, but its hard to create any real threat from the spin or speed itself. This rubber works, especially since the spin difference between my backhand and forehand rubbers are quite large and can confuse some opponents.

Here are the backhand rubbers I have been considering (ranked in order) which tries to replicate the current metagame, but not necessarily at the speed (hardness) or effect/livelyhood of what the pros use:

1. Nittaku fastarc C-1
Pros:
- Supports the controlling backhand playstyle.
- Similar to Mark V in that there is not a lot of bounce to it, which compliments the bouncyness of the P500 blade itself.
- Durability!
- Not too heavy (medium) which balances out the heavy Rakza Z forehand rubber.
- Slightly faster than my forehand rubber, which is fitting for backhand rubbers in general.
Cons:
- Not similar to Mark V in that the surface is supposed to be grippy.
- Good in most areas of the game, but not exceptional in any.
- Might be too soft for the P500.
2. Donic Bluefire JP 03
Pros:
- Some players say this rubber fits well with P500
- Not too fast, fitting my off- blade (same speed as my forehand rubber).
Cons:
- Topsheet is not durable

3. Donic Bluefire M3 (M2)
Pros:
- Very versatile and popular rubber.
- Tenergy 05 clone at lower speed and lower price.
- I know players that use it on their backhand to great effect on hard and flexible blade.
- Defensive backhand chopping works well with this rubber, which is a good skill to supplement a forehand dominant player.
Cons:
- Might be too soft for the P500 in terms of complementing the attacking game.
- Might be too bouncy for my preferred playstyle and my serves.
- Hard to control close to the net.
- High throw angle and will likely be hard to direct opponents incoming spin.
4. Xiom Vega Pro
Pros:
- A lot of players in my club use this, which makes me familiar with its properties.
- Cheap alternative to Tenergy 05.
- Works well on short strokes (backhand).
Cons:
- Weight is medium+, which is not preferrable with my heavy forehand rubber.
- The hardness and livelyhood of the rubber may be difficult to control on backhand on a flexible blade.
5. Yasaka Rakza X / Yasaka Rakza 9
Pros:
- Natural progression from Mark V in terms of similar properties and throw angle.
- Both rubbers are used to great effect on backhand by other players.
- 9 has good durability and light'ish weight.
Cons:
- X is mostly "meh" in all areas, but this "meh" makes it easy to control as well.
- 9 maybe too fast for my level + expensive.
6. Andro Rasanter R42
Pros:
- Highly praised online.
- Nice clicky sound.
- Enable artistic playstyle with lots of spin variation.
Cons:
- Bouncy rubber which is hard to control in the short game and serve receive for my level.
7. Joola Rhyzm-P
8. Yasaka Mark V HPS
9. Yaska Rakza 7
10. Yasaka Rising Dragon
11. friendship 729 super fx
12. Butterfly Rozena
13. DHS Gold Arc 5
14. Xiom Omega VII Pro
15. Xiom Vega Asia

... and many others, but I am tired of writing. Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated.

This is the actual way to get the exact, perfect, optimal rubber for your backhand:

1) Make a cue card for each rubber. Make all cards the same size.
2) Pin all cue cards to a dart board.
3) Find a friend who you know to be very bad at darts.
4) Get said friend very drunk, lots and lots of alcohol so that his/her motor skills are decently impaired.
5) Blindfold said friend.
6) Spin said friend around in circles until dizzy.
7) Point said friend at dart board and give him one dart at a time.
8) Have this friend throw until one of those darts hit one of those cue cards and sticks.

This is the most effective way to find the optimal rubber when choosing from a list of 10-200 rubbers that all would produce optimal results. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
This is the actual way to get the exact, perfect, optimal rubber for your backhand:

4) Get said friend very drunk, lots and lots of alcohol so that his/her motor skills are decently impaired.
8) Have this friend throw until one of those darts hit one of those cue cards and sticks.

This is the most effective way to find the optimal rubber when choosing from a list of 10-200 rubbers that all would produce optimal results. :)
If this is how you feel, then I would prefer you lie to me instead.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If this is how you feel, then I would prefer you lie to me instead.

Many of those rubbers would be good. What happens when you train with one particular rubber is you end up adjusting your technique a little to the rubber. But in the end, there are rubbers you will put on that make you feel "I love this rubber" and others where you will not feel that.

Sometimes when you get a brand new sheet of a rubber you totally loved the first time, the next rubber does not feel as "oh man, I love this" as the first one. Usually that does not happen. But there are a certain degree of inconsistencies in manufacturing. So, it does happen.

But if you have tried any of them and thought "wow, I would really like to be using this rubber" it is worth going for it. Equipment does have an impact. But nowhere near as much as training.

Rubbers I have personally loved for my BH are:

T05fx
T64
Rasanter R48

They all play differently. They allow me to do slightly different things. They all feel amazing TO ME.

The real question is, what will feel amazing to you and make you want to hit your BH over and over again because of how much you love that feeling?

Addition: I should add to that but my memory for stuff from longer ago is not so great. I also have used and liked:

FXP
A whole host of Xiom Europe and Pro rubbers (Vega, Sigma [choose a number])....

Too many I can't remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

They say that great minds think alike and I really had also the darts-method going through my mind.

Still, here is another method : There are things that can not be solved by thinking and overthinking just makes it worse.
So pick one at random, darts or not. 😁

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I agree with you both, but I have also experienced bad rubbers and gear that does not help with development. I have also experienced playing with DHS Hurricane 3 neo for 4 months when starting up which I did not love, but that my technique was improved in doing so.
You have to try to put a more positive twist on these things:
You have experienced bad rubbers = You have tried and eliminated these rubbers from your list = positive experience.

You played with H3 Neo for 4 month = positive experience (put H3 Neo on to the ""possible -list)

etc etc etc etc.

Look at it as a life-long experiment, slowly trying to aim at the perfect setup but having fun playing ping pong as you go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
You have to try to put a more positive twist on these things:
You have experienced bad rubbers = You have tried and eliminated these rubbers from your list = positive experience.

You played with H3 Neo for 4 month = positive experience (put H3 Neo on to the ""possible -list)

etc etc etc etc.

Look at it as a life-long experiment, slowly trying to aim at the perfect setup but having fun playing ping pong as you go.
There are ways to learn table tennis more efficiently, and it is often influenced by doing the things you dont like to do.

Reactions: lodro
says How much wood would a Clipper Wood clip if a Clipper...
says How much wood would a Clipper Wood clip if a Clipper...
Jan 2024
If you're getting dizzied by the sheer amount of choices:

1. pick one brand. They all make similar offerings anyway. Apparently you're used to Yasaka, so just stick with Yasaka.

2. You now have 5 options instead of 15. Of which you already dismissed some by the looks of it. Either Rakza X or Rakza 7 is what I'm reading from your post.