Spicing Up the Championships: More Stats and Stories in Table Tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm a big table tennis fan and a semi-pro player. With the World Table Tennis Championships just kicking off in Durban, South Africa, I've been thinking - wouldn't it be great if we had more stats and stories about our sport?

Table tennis is fast and sometimes hard to follow, especially for new fans. I think if we had more stats and stories to share, it could make things more exciting and easier to understand.

Imagine if we could see more player stats, game analysis, or even predictions about what might happen next in a match. This could not only enrich our discussions during the Championships but also help us enjoy the sport more generally, whether we're watching a live stream or talking about it with friends.

What do you think? What kind of stats, stories, or analysis would you like to see more of in table tennis? How do you think these could enhance your enjoyment of the sport and make the Championships more exciting for you?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Reactions: JeffM
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Hi everyone,

I'm a big table tennis fan and a semi-pro player. With the World Table Tennis Championships just kicking off in Durban, South Africa, I've been thinking - wouldn't it be great if we had more stats and stories about our sport?

Table tennis is fast and sometimes hard to follow, especially for new fans. I think if we had more stats and stories to share, it could make things more exciting and easier to understand.

Imagine if we could see more player stats, game analysis, or even predictions about what might happen next in a match. This could not only enrich our discussions during the Championships but also help us enjoy the sport more generally, whether we're watching a live stream or talking about it with friends.

What do you think? What kind of stats, stories, or analysis would you like to see more of in table tennis? How do you think these could enhance your enjoyment of the sport and make the Championships more exciting for you?

• Haha
Reactions: klekot53
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi everyone,

Japanese and Chinese broadcasters have the technology to analyse each match (e.g. placement, speed, even spin). A decent analysis also depends on the narrator’s understanding of the sport.

Reactions: klekot53 and JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
American sports audiences enjoy their stats. For baseball fans, we are keenly aware of the popular pitchers who throw 100+ mph fastballs. Technology exists to show how much drop there is in a curveball pitch and its flight path. This has helped a lot of casual fans understand the complexity of pitching.

I know technology exists in TT to analyze the speed and spin of the ball. I just saw this during the Zen-Noh Cup in Japan. Having these stats pop up would make the sport more enjoyable to watch. Right now, we know Quadri Aruna has a huge FH, but it would be nice to see the speed and spin of them and know how it stacks up with a backhand from FZD or Lin Shidong.

Other things that would be fun to know include the height of the ball during sky lobs and the distance a player covers with his footwork in a given amount of time.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
American sports audiences enjoy their stats. For baseball fans, we are keenly aware of the popular pitchers who throw 100+ mph fastballs. Technology exists to show how much drop there is in a curveball pitch and its flight path. This has helped a lot of casual fans understand the complexity of pitching.

I know technology exists in TT to analyze the speed and spin of the ball. I just saw this during the Zen-Noh Cup in Japan. Having these stats pop up would make the sport more enjoyable to watch. Right now, we know Quadri Aruna has a huge FH, but it would be nice to see the speed and spin of them and know how it stacks up with a backhand from FZD or Lin Shidong.

Other things that would be fun to know include the height of the ball during sky lobs and the distance a player covers with his footwork in a given amount of time.
What happened to, " Hey Bob, it's a great day to be in this hall. The table are perfectly aligned, the mood is great, the fans are excited bla bla bla ... " 🤣🤣🤣

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023

That's a great idea with the lobs! I wonder if they could do that one day.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Is it possible to watch it from other places like Europe?
there are ways, but there isn't subtitles.

to your OP question,
with your mature markets like Japan and China, they do make it more interesting. Maybe with the viewership, there is money, since all this will just cost more money.

But end of the day, you need someone who can talk to actually commentate.
give someone who will make people fall asleep, with all the bells and whistles, one will just ...fall asleep still.

I haven't had much enjoyment with English commentary, compared to Chinese.
I can name 1 or 2 I like, and just last week, I found out he doesn't even get paid for doing it, and he only does it in USA.
Its sad that there is no "income" for it in the western world. So, beggers can't be choosers, since the market is small, and there isn't much money for it and then you don't get the best in return, sadly...

Reactions: JeffM