Can Virtual Reality Improve Real Life Table Tennis?! | 30 Day Challenge

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hey guys! Today we settle the debate, does playing Virtual Reality table tennis improve your real life table tennis?

In this video we take an absolute beginner at table tennis, and coached her every day for 30 days in VR. We did this 30 day challenge using the table tennis simulator called ELEVEN Table Tennis on the Quest 2 🏓

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
Hey guys! Today we settle the debate, does playing Virtual Reality table tennis improve your real life table tennis?

In this video we take an absolute beginner at table tennis, and coached her every day for 30 days in VR. We did this 30 day challenge using the table tennis simulator called ELEVEN Table Tennis on the Quest 2 🏓

Hi Dan, nice video!
When my schedule is too tight, I spend time training some drills with Eleven Table Tennis. Nice 🏓 Tool.

Reactions: Dan and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Great video.

I wonder how Dan could correct Chloe when he could not see her posture, her arm unless he was using the webcam like when we saw her in living room.

Maybe Dan was not playing himself and let her play against a robot while looking at her through webcam ?
I think the video lacks some explanations about how the training sessions were run.

In the future, the program will surely be able to model the entire player but in the meantime I think that remote coaching is a bit limited or else you have to couple it with a webcam and do replays to guide the student.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
This is anecdotal but a club mate did only VR table tennis during the COVID lock down and it totally screwed up his timing and he really had to readjust when he came back to the tables. VR may help if you are a total noob but will probably be detrimental if you actually know how to play.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This is anecdotal but a club mate did only VR table tennis during the COVID lock down and it totally screwed up his timing and he really had to readjust when he came back to the tables. VR may help if you are a total noob but will probably be detrimental if you actually know how to play.

Victor Moraga is far from a total noob so I find his comments interesting.

Reactions: VictorMoraga
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Great video.

I wonder how Dan could correct Chloe when he could not see her posture, her arm unless he was using the webcam like when we saw her in living room.

Maybe Dan was not playing himself and let her play against a robot while looking at her through webcam ?
I think the video lacks some explanations about how the training sessions were run.

In the future, the program will surely be able to model the entire player but in the meantime I think that remote coaching is a bit limited or else you have to couple it with a webcam and do replays to guide the student.

There are clearly aspects of her game that are still not what someone would ideally want, but the key thing she did and which I think is coachable regardless of how you are coached is that she swung her racket through a path. She might not use her body optimally to do it, and this is not so important when you aren't playing for power like high level modern professionals/amateurs. So you can see that even though she swung the racket through appropriate paths to play simple strokes, her use of body is suboptimal for many of those strokes precisely because she didn't get that correction in person which to me is more realistic. Had her form been correct, I would have been more suspicious for sure.

But maybe I am overthinking it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020

Victor Moraga is far from a total noob so I find his comments interesting.

Perhaps that specific VR setup/software is better than the other table tennis VRs out there and it might be helpful in some aspects of the game(like shadow boxing) but to actually improve at a USATT 2000 level on a VR experience that has no real spin feel or tactile feedback would be as you say, interesting.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Now thats a good YT video !! maybe the next one Dan: take an intermediate player (me :D) train for a month see if backhand actually improves

Haha yes lets do it! 😁

What about the feel of hitting the ball?

Cheers
L-zr

Yeah, I mean for sure in VR it feels slightly different to real life but it's not crazy different. What I found very interesting was Chloe's feeling to real life after the 30 days was very impressive. She was brushing the ball with spin very well and understanding it.

When she landed the first topspin: Dan "IMPOSSIBLE!!"

Haha I was shocked!

Great video.

Hey @pilami we only did 30 days playing against each other in VR, Chloe didn't use the robot and I didn't see her in real life once. The thing is in the game, I was telling her things like, okay make sure your right foot is behind your left during the forehand topspin and stuff.

ELEVEN are bringing out avatars soon so you can see your opponents arm and body it's very clever!

I think if you're playing good level real life table tennis and then only play VR for a year or so, the adaptation is tricky as there will be a slight difference. Playing between the two is fine, I do it a lot and have no problems.

There are clearly aspects of her game that are still not what someone would ideally want, but the key thing she did and which I think is coachable regardless of how you are coached is that she swung her racket through a path. She might not use her body optimally to do it, and this is not so important when you aren't playing for power like high level modern professionals/amateurs. So you can see that even though she swung the racket through appropriate paths to play simple strokes, her use of body is suboptimal for many of those strokes precisely because she didn't get that correction in person which to me is more realistic. Had her form been correct, I would have been more suspicious for sure.

But maybe I am overthinking it.

Hey @NextLevel agreed! This was one thing I was struggling to get across, was the rotation elements and weight transfer. However, as you say the fact she is swinging through a path similar to that of real life, and doing that 1000's of times will only increase her neural pathways/muscle memory to then apply it to real life. I also think once ELEVEN activate the avatar feature where you can see the opponents arms and body that will really be a game changer!

I really didn't think she'd able to play the level she did after the 30 days.

Great video! I wonder how 30 days of shadow strokes would compare. Definitely not as much fun.

This is actually a very good idea! Shadow play for 30 days and then see how the results are.

Reactions: jammmail