why wait to dry the glue?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
With the wet method its completely flat.
It might be completely flat but this is because you force the excess glue unevenly in to the sponge, which will of course also create a uneven performance of the rubbers depending where the balls hit.

Which one is worse ????
Frankly my dear ............ 🤣
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
It might be completely flat but this is because you force the excess glue unevenly in to the sponge, which will of course also create a uneven performance of the rubbers depending where the balls hit.

Which one is worse ????
Frankly my dear ............ 🤣
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
not convinced this is true.
and..... playing the rubber felt fine.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
I'm not entirely convinced either, but I would agree that putting a weight on top of the rubber doesn't seem right to me, because you stress the pimples that are not designed to hold Kg of weight for hours.
earlier in this thread you find people doing what i do but with a device putting slight pressure on the rubbers. its a link to some german website.
maybe 1kg is enough? not sure. but some pressure is needed.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I'm not entirely convinced either, but I would agree that putting a weight on top of the rubber doesn't seem right to me, because you stress the pimples that are not designed to hold Kg of weight for hours.
Count the pimples then divide the weight by that amount and you will probably find every pimple has to carry sweet f-all 😂

Reactions: Atas Newton
says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Now I would wet glue from now onwards if it wasnt for the fact some claim the sponge will react negatively to this. And the blade will get moisture and deteriorate over time.
I don't think that the sponge is affected by wet gluing. The blade might be, but varnishing it overcomes this problem.

Frankly after your tests, wet gluing doesn't sound such a bad idea to me. if I wasn't using glue sheets, I would definitely try it.

Reactions: Cadoia
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
And weight. Why not to get just a bouncier rubber?
Because the bouncier rubber may lack something else. Also, even the bouncier rubber can be made even bouncier, if that's what you're after. Weight to an extent is also desired, as it can also add power to your shot. A study showed that the same racket with the same rubber is faster when there's a rubber glued to the other side compared to no rubber on the other side, meaning that the weight of the setup also contributes to speed independently.

_ak

This user has no status.
One advantage of multiple glue layers is that the thicker the layer, the easier it is to be removed from the sponge of the rubber if they are to be reused.
On one side quite thick Chinese factory glue is indeed easy to remove, on another after 3 regluing in my regular way the glue residue is thinner that this factory glue. I just don't bother about removing and keep it simple.

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
On one side quite thick Chinese factory glue is indeed easy to remove, on another after 3 regluing in my regular way the glue residue is thinner that this factory glue. I just don't bother about removing and keep it simple.
In my club, all players donate their old rubbers to our coach who reuses them to kids who are beginners or intermediates.
So it's really helpful in such cases for the glue to be easily removed.

This user has no status.
Count the pimples then divide the weight by that amount and you will probably find every pimple has to carry sweet f-all 😂
I do understand that, 5kg on 1000 pimples is 5g per pimple. It's the longer time the force is applied compared to a bouncing ball that worries me.

Last edited:
says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I do understand that, 5kg on 1000 pimples is 5g per pimple. It's the longer time the force is applied compared to a bouncing ball that worries me.
You shouldn't worry about that. Pimples are not so sensitive. I've been using racket press for years and I've left the racket overnight sometimes.
Never had an occurrence of deformed pimple or any other problem.

Reactions: lodro and Trevize84
I have never wet glued before. What I do is give my rubber and wood a different gluing direction. I glue my rubbers along (from bottom to top) and I glue the wood crosswise (from left to right). That way you get a more homogeneous and flat composition.

Reactions: lodro