Liu Jia expressed, “I believed in myself!”

Froschberg’s manager Gunther Renner looked as if a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders after the 2012/2013 Women’s European Champions League final against Hungarion Budaorsi 2i SC. He commented “I have no words table tennis can be so cruel”.

liu2013.jpg

Liu Jia - Photo by: Froschberg Linz

The first time round the Austrians won 3-1 (10-7 in sets) and so many thought that the rematch at Linz’s Sportpark Lissfield Hall would be just a formality. However the Hungarian side led 2-0 thanks to Szandra Pergel (World ranked 94) who beat Liu Jia (World ranked 26) and promising Dora Madarasz (World ranked 147) who managed to beat Iveta Vacenovska (World ranked 25).

Thanks to German 19 year old Petrissa Solja who had a comfortable win against Croatian Cornelia Molnar, Linz managed to stay in the game. In the fourth match Liu Jia needed just two sets to secure the new WECL crown for the host, meanwhile Dora Madarasz needed to have a minimum 3-1 win to secure the win for Hungary. Madarasz won 11-0 in the opening set however Liu Jia managed to recover well taking the win and providing the new trophy for Linz.

Liu jia commented after the final “I believed in myself, I was so frustrated in myself after the first game because I want to be perfect, but I found myself thinking I must secure this win not only for myself but also for my team to whom I have a responsibility”.

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Source: ETTU.og
Written by: Emily Standing
TableTennisDaily