Why Mima left using @Nittaku Hurricane hybrid rubber.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
-- It was my fostering tutor who told me to not use this tacky rubber ... insane tackiness.. It is not good for my game, not giving me enough power on forehand. Just take a look, here.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
-- It was my fostering tutor who told me to not use this tacky rubber ... insane tackiness.. It is not good for my game, not giving me enough power on forehand. Just take a look, here.

I understand a bit of Japanese and watched the video.

There's nowhere in the video where she says "Tacky rubber doesn't produce spin enough" (the title of the video). There's also nowhere in the video where she says "It is not good for my game, not giving me enough power on forehand."

That's not to say that she didn't say it outside of the video. It's just not anywhere in the video.

What she actually says in the video, given my rough translation is:

"I've become a more interesting table tennis player" [or "table tennis has become more interesting]"
"By making table tennis be more fun and interesting, I know I can become stronger"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
I understand a bit of Japanese and watched the video.

There's nowhere in the video where she says "Tacky rubber doesn't produce spin enough" (the title of the video). There's also nowhere in the video where she says "It is not good for my game, not giving me enough power on forehand."

That's not to say that she didn't say it outside of the video. It's just not anywhere in the video.

What she actually says in the video, given my rough translation is:

"I've become a more interesting table tennis player" [or "table tennis has become more interesting]"
"By making table tennis be more fun and interesting, I know I can become stronger"

Yep, the title is a complete lie. Also, at 0:21 of the video, the comparison clearly states that the Chinese rubber on the right has more spin due to more tackiness. Even the subtitle itself says so too, in Chinese, Japanese and English.

Last edited:
Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
I think it would be better if Mima Ito changed the spikes to a smooth rubber on the backhand. Chinese athletes have adapted well to her spikes, but the number of errors due to spikes is huge. From its spikes, the ball flies smoothly without an arc and low balls often fall into the edge of the net.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think it would be better if Mima Ito changed the spikes to a smooth rubber on the backhand. Chinese athletes have adapted well to her spikes, but the number of errors due to spikes is huge. From its spikes, the ball flies smoothly without an arc and low balls often fall into the edge of the net.
well, she could end her career if the change isn't smooth.
can't just change short pimple to inverted, just like that.
Will take her off professional circuit for 1 to 2 years just for the transition and chance of success is so low

So, I don't think it can work.
Even if she used inverted since 4 years old, there is no guarantee she can beat the top Chinese

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
well, she could end her career if the change isn't smooth.
can't just change short pimple to inverted, just like that.
Will take her off professional circuit for 1 to 2 years just for the transition and chance of success is so low

So, I don't think it can work.
Even if she used inverted since 4 years old, there is no guarantee she can beat the top Chinese
Just watching the World's championship with Mima Ito playing against Diaz and came upon this thread.

No way Mima Ito should switch her backhand from short pips to inverted rubber. Just look at all the top ranking women who are Chinese: Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu, Wang Yidi, Chen Meng, Chen Xingtong. They all use inverted on both sides. If Mima switched to inverted on the backhand side, she would be eaten alive by all her Chinese competitors because they practice against each other with inverted on both sides all day long, all week long, all month long and all year long.

Beating Ito will then become a piece of cake.

The reason why Ito is such a threat to all the top Chinese players is her short pips. Yes the Chinese team has studied Ito's game inside out. But within the Chinese organization, they do not have an internal sparring partner who can use short pips on the backhand side as good as Ito can. Sometimes unless you face Ito's backhand in real life, you cannot play well against it.

another example Hina Hayata has inverted on both sides. She has good potential but I doubt Chinese teams cares about her as much as they care about Ito's threat.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
She basically said that Japanese rubber is more fun for her game, and that if she plays a style that is fun for herself she believes she can improve and get stronger.
Wait. Is she using Nittaku Fastarc G-1 which is a Japanese rubber or is she using DHS hurricane 3 (even if it is Nittaku's version, to me, that is still a Chinese rubber albeit overpriced since it has Nittaku stamped on it)?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Wait. Is she using Nittaku Fastarc G-1 which is a Japanese rubber or is she using DHS hurricane 3 (even if it is Nittaku's version, to me, that is still a Chinese rubber albeit overpriced since it has Nittaku stamped on it)?
She used to use nittaku h3 but switched to G1.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I understand what you are saying. So only Butterfly rubbers are Japanese? All else are made in the German ESN factory?
If it says made in Japan on the rubber, it is Japanese :p

There is 3 factories in Japan that makes rubbers. Butterfly is one of them.

pretty much the 3 countries making rubbers now are Japan, Germany, China.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
If it says made in Japan on the rubber, it is Japanese :p

There is 3 factories in Japan that makes rubbers. Butterfly is one of them.

pretty much the 3 countries making rubbers now are Japan, Germany, China.
Thanks! So for Gambler rubbers with Oh-Toro sponge, it says it is made in Japan. I wonder where Gambler get their sponge from. I mean the rubbers from Gambler are dirt cheap but even the "Oh-Toro" special sponge, I don't feel that the rubber is better than say Mark V or Sriver. I am just telling the truth (even though Gambler loves to compare their blades and rubbers to Butterfly products; well, no. I have bought them and used them. that is a huge stretch).

However, Gambler is selling these rubbers for $15 or $18 a sheet. I rather buy them than paying $33+ for Mark V and Sriver.

Finally I have bought Neottec Katana and Hinomi rubbers. At $18 to $21 a sheet BEFORE 30% big purchase discount from TT11, they are actually very very solid rubbers. I would rate those rubbers slightly better than Mark V and Sriver (well, I have not played Mark V or Sriver in years and years but you get the point; these Neottec rubbers are actually a bit springy, almost tensor like really).

Ironically, I have Neottec Katana on one side and Gambler Volt-T on a Gambler carbon blade. I like the Katana side better. But I am using that racket to feed my kids multi-ball practice. I would need to use that racket in a real game to render any serious opinions about that set-up.

Long story short, I am very very impressed by Neottec product and Gambler product if you look at them objectively and compare to some $30-$33 euro/jap rubbers. Those rubbers in the $15-$18 per sheet range are very good. So my advise is to buy them for beginner and intermediate players. And then when you are ready to upgrade, then go straight to mild tensor rubbers like Xiom Vega Intro or Nittaku Fastarc C-1.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
another example Hina Hayata has inverted on both sides. She has good potential but I doubt Chinese teams cares about her as much as they care about Ito's threat.
This comment aged so well :) No offense ofc.
I think that top Chinese womans just get used to Ito's playstyle over the years and her tactics were figured out. Not to mention that they have Zhang Rui to practice with.