Good Morning Britain making fun of little TT girl and calling TT "boring" sport

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I kinda got a good chuckle out of their comments.

On a separate note, I'm kinda with the lady here. Let kids be kids. But no. This girl has essentially gone professional playing 5 hours a day from the age of 3 I'm guessing.

10 bucks says she burns out by the age of 10 and never wants to play again already having playing more TT by that point than most of us will their whole lives. SMH.

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
learning everything to be good is the same, you need to spend time , We went to school every day to study, from 8 to 3, 6 to 7 hours a day. Is it also callled mentally torture ???????

This user has no status.
I have to admit that for those who do not play TT or have little knowledge about TT, it is boring. The soul of a TT match is variation of strategies, e.g spin, placement. But these are too subtle for most audiences to get, because of both the limited space of TT playing and their lack of TT knowledge. An exception is that audiences are always entertained by lobbing and smashing.

I think we do not need to take this talk seriously. I have some friends who once asked me "why don't you do some real sports like basketball?" TT is regarded by many as an inferior sport, even in China - the most popular country in TT. So don't care what others think. Just keep playing and enjoy ourselves!

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I find the tone of the clip to be ok. You have Piers on one side supporting the notion of being good at anything than nothing, and then you have Susanna and Sean on the other end saying just let kids be kids.

The only issue I have is the video title. If anything, the word prodigy is seldom used in China for table tennis. You could find so many prodigies that the term loses its meaning.

BTW, 5 hours a day is not enough if you want to be world class. Ito Mima was forced, yes, forced to train 7 hours a day from the age of 4 by none other than her own mom. Trust me, she was harsh to her daughter during training. Folks from the West would be dumbfounded when they see how far parents are willing to push their own kids in Japan, yes, Japan. Masataka Morizono's training by his dad would fit the descriptions of child abuse by Western standard.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
[...] I have some friends who once asked me "why don't you do some real sports like basketball?" TT is regarded by many as an inferior sport, even in China - the most popular country in TT. So don't care what others think. Just keep playing and enjoy ourselves!

This is what I heard from one of my friends who stayed several times in China for a few months. He said that sports like soccer or tennis are becoming more popular and the tt was sort of in decline?

This user has no status.
This is what I heard from one of my friends who stayed several times in China for a few months. He said that sports like soccer or tennis are becoming more popular and the tt was sort of in decline?
Not sure about tennis, but soccer yes (probably because Chinese president XJP is a soccer lover). As for TT, I think there is little change. After Rio Olympic games some Chinese fangirls started watching TT, but few play it. According to my personal experiences, only two of my high school classmates or university fellows play TT, while most of them play basketball and badminton. Basketball and badminton court are always full, while TT tables are free for most of the time. I think the whole situation in China may me similar.