Alternative to Stiga Clipper and Intensity

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
To give you some background.

I used to play with the viscaria, but due to the lockdown a few years back I lost all touch with it and decided to switch over to the clipper wood.

For rubbers I use the tenergy 05 on fh and bluestorm z3 on bh.
Will soon switch to goldarc 8 on fh and rakza 7 soft or keep the z3 on bh.
I don't care for rubbers much, since I adapt to them very quick.

I loved the clipper wood, mine is 85 grams, it fit my style perfectly. But it had a completely dead feeling, I couldn't feel the ball and even though I played very good with it, I left it because of how dead it felt. It had great blocking and allowed me to punch the blocks with the backhand and counter with the forehand was almost effortless.

To give you an example, I played with the z3 on the clipper and it felt dead from the monet I glued it on, same with the 05. Once I put them on the intensity, they came to life. On the viscaria they felt very similar to the viscaria, just faster and had a bit lower throw.

A friend of mine sold me his intensity nct and I love how it feels, when you play a topspin you can feel the ball dig in to the rubber more than the viscaria and a lot more than the clipper. But even though it feels great and is a bit slower, I lost from control because of the high throw that it has. So even though it's slower, it feels faster and less controllable.

Does anyone know of a blade that performs like the clipper, meaning have a medium throw, with decent speed and outstanding control, but has the exceptional feel of the intensity? I also want it to have good vibration so that it enhances feeling.

My coach and teammate recommend me the stiga rosewood nct v. They say it's 5-ply so it'll feel decent, like the intensity, but because it has a stiff outer ply, the rosewood, it keeps a lower throw and good speed.

I'd prefer if the blade was from a reputable company like butterfly or stiga.

Thanks in advance!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Try a Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (YEO). Afaik Yasaka was first and then Stiga copied it with their Intensity ;)
Same structure as the Intensity, inexpensive, good feeling, faster than the Intensity, and not that high throw as far as I can tell. At least throw angle is not the main difference when I switch between my carbon-outer blades like the Yinhe V14 Pro (Viscaria structure but stiffer and faster) and my YEOs.
Possible downside: YEO is not a light blade (86g and up, usually >=90g) but it's well balanced (for my liking).

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
The Sanwei fextra is medium throw. Good feeling and vibration. It's 6mm thick. So you can feel the ball really well. It's pretty fast. I can loop distance away from table. It's limba top ply ...great feeling. Check out the reviews on this.
I think I've seen it on aliexpress. Isn't it a clipper clone? If so then feeling should be very similar. What rubbers do you have on it? How does it feel?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I think I've seen it on aliexpress. Isn't it a clipper clone? If so then feeling should be very similar. What rubbers do you have on it? How does it feel?
It's not a Clipper clone. The top ply is limba and under that is limba, where it would be ayous in a Clipper. Clippers are close to 7mm as well, whereas Fextra is only 6mm. Fextra is a more flexible blade with more dwell. The Fextra feels like something in between a 5 and 7 ply. You can try one for yourself for $20.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Yes. Turbozed said is correct . I use it with Hurricane 3 blue sponge on FH and
Palio AK47 yellow rubber on BH.

I play comp with it. Pushes very well BH and flick,...FH loop close to mid distance
no issue. For around $20 USD. You should try one. I like it more than DHS P-G7.

Reactions: Lowday20298
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Avalox blue thunder 777, also go by the name avx avallo bt777. 6.2mm thick, 7ply blade with limba outer plies that sandwich 5 ayous layers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Coming at this from a different angle, I've read that you need at least around a 90g Clipper. Lighter versions will feel strange, which may be what you're experiencing.

You might want to search for discussions about that.
Or he might need a 5 ply with a harder outer ply. Both are reasonable possibilities depending on what he prioritizes.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I'd prefer if the blade was from a reputable company like butterfly or stiga.
Is that the perception in Greece?

Stiga, as a table tennis manufacturer, has been on a downward slope for several years now.

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Is that the perception in Greece?

Stiga, as a table tennis manufacturer, has been on a downward slope for several years now.
Not really, I just want to support my favourite companies.

I love stiga and butterfly because of the players they've sponsored, I've connected butterfly with Boll and kreange, and stiga with xu xin and moregardh. It's a personal thing, I just feel better with using something widly recognised and supported by pros.

It's the main reason I decided to give the clipper and intensity a chance, if they were good enough for liu guoliang and xu xin, they'll be more than enough for me. Same with the viscaria.

Reactions: Choosikick
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Final update,

I sold my old clipper and bought one that weighs 5 grams more.

I can't explain how big of a difference it made, it's a whole other blade, it's like someone did a spell and the blade came to life, the feeling is phenomenal, the touch is perfect.

Other than that, I tried the rosewood and it's a heavier and faster version of the intensity, same curve and everything.

Also bought the ma lin extra offensive and it's identical to the intensity, just extremely hard and a bit faster, it has no dwell or safety. Trajectory is the same with intensity but it's much harder, it's suited for players that stay close the table and hit and counter. Maybe it will also suit short pips.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
Final update,

I sold my old clipper and bought one that weighs 5 grams more.

I can't explain how big of a difference it made, it's a whole other blade, it's like someone did a spell and the blade came to life, the feeling is phenomenal, the touch is perfect.

Other than that, I tried the rosewood and it's a heavier and faster version of the intensity, same curve and everything.

Also bought the ma lin extra offensive and it's identical to the intensity, just extremely hard and a bit faster, it has no dwell or safety. Trajectory is the same with intensity but it's much harder, it's suited for players that stay close the table and hit and counter. Maybe it will also suit short pips.

I agree with you. I have 84 grams, 90 grams and 95 grams Clipper Wood. For me, 95 grams is too stiff (I sold the blade immediately) and coming from 5-ply allwood I used to love 84 grams Clipper. Until one day, I try the 90 grams Clipper and whoooaaa, it has the best feeling and best performance. It is the medium of medium.

My question is, you seem to dislike Ma Lin Extra Offensive based on your description above, but your signature in this forum lists MLEO (also known as YEO) as your main blade. Did you change your mind and start using it now? Why?

Thank you.

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I agree with you. I have 84 grams, 90 grams and 95 grams Clipper Wood. For me, 95 grams is too stiff (I sold the blade immediately) and coming from 5-ply allwood I used to love 84 grams Clipper. Until one day, I try the 90 grams Clipper and whoooaaa, it has the best feeling and best performance. It is the medium of medium.

My question is, you seem to dislike Ma Lin Extra Offensive based on your description above, but your signature in this forum lists MLEO (also known as YEO) as your main blade. Did you change your mind and start using it now? Why?

Thank you.
I started penhold and the yeo is the closest thing to my intensity. It's really hard and pretty stiff, but it pairs well with chinese rubbers. Until I gather money to get a dynasty carbon, because the yeo seams very slow with Chinese rubbers, I chose this over anything else. Also the handle is a bit smaller than stiga, so it's a big more comfy.

Regarding the clippers, I got the new one and the old one back. So now I have 2. One my mother snatched to use, so I'm not getting that one back😂
And on the other I'll put some short pips to annoy my friends😂

Overall I got used to how flexible the intensity is and speed is more than enough. Clipper is still gonna get some use, but not anything crazy.

At pen I got the yeo because it's close enough to the intensity at 1/3 the price. Eventually I'll get something faster because it's slow af with the hurricane, probably dynasty carbon, idk...