Calling Defensive EJs & Equipment Theorists: What’s the reason HL5 not being widely used for Modern Defenders?

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
It seems to have a lot of boxes ticked to be a great modern defender blade:

1. Limba outer
2. Slightly bigger headsize (similar to Korbel and Harimoto ALC)
3. Great forehand capability and spinning potential
4. Inner Carbon (hello recently released Koji Matsushita ZC)

The only drawback I think is it could be slightly too fast and has to be played with a slow grippy LP like FIII/P4 or a grippy anti like Nittaku Best Anti or Bty Super Anti?

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
You sure? Although she’s not attacking as what a modern defender would, she clearly shows grippy anti being able to be useful for a steady pure chopping strategy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
It seems to have a lot of boxes ticked to be a great modern defender blade:

1. Limba outer
2. Slightly bigger headsize (similar to Korbel and Harimoto ALC)
3. Great forehand capability and spinning potential
4. Inner Carbon (hello recently released Koji Matsushita ZC)

The only drawback I think is it could be slightly too fast and has to be played with a slow grippy LP like FIII/P4 or a grippy anti like Nittaku Best Anti or Bty Super Anti?
I think it could be fine as a LP setup

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Pair with right rubbers.
I’m of the same opinion, LP or anti of the slowest grippy type.

Though the ALC layer is interesting for 2 main points

1. The catapulty effect which is great on the forehand looping side should theoretically help keep chops at a low trajectory with the limba/ayous top layers assisting with backspin generation.

2. Not sure of the impact required on chops to engage, the ALC layer may also help in reversal when sliding through the LP or anti or to disguise a knuckle float ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Hmm, is this blade with a straight handle available for sale? Something I didn't see
A defender I know the other day asked me to slightly change the fl handle on a blade he liked. I’m not a pure defender, but the fl handle is also not comfortable for me when I chopping, although on the contrary I like it in attack.
Could this be the reason as well?

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Hmm, is this blade with a straight handle available for sale? Something I didn't see
A defender I know the other day asked me to slightly change the fl handle on a blade he liked. I’m not a pure defender, but the fl handle is also not comfortable for me when I chopping, although on the contrary I like it in attack.
Could this be the reason as well?

T11 currently stocks HL5/HL5X in ST handle. For W968 it is more rare, ProTT did sell a Lee Sangsu personal W968 (https://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=LEE) so I would assume it is available in ST in market versions if you look hard enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I've owned 3 HL5 and 2 W968. It has evolved over time.

The HL5 you are referring to is the old HL5 which plays really similarly to a hard 5-ply blade. The newer HL5 has thicker core and smaller head size = less flex and harder.
Does that mean a New HL5 is closer to a W968? Or is there still a big difference

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Headsize of newer batches 158x152 or still elongated slightly? 160x150?