Can i use 2.2mm thickness in backhand rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
Hey guys, i'm new to this forum and to table tennis, so i wish i could ask some stuff.
Even as a beginner, can I use a 2.2mm rubber on my backhand? I started taking table tennis lessons recently. I use old equipment, and I need to change one of the rubbers as they are both black, would Joola Micron with 2.2mm be a good option for the backhand? I use Xiom vega pro on the forehand, and palio ak47 blue on the bakchand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I'd just stick with the AK-47 on the BH. Unless you're getting the Joola Micron for free, there's no reason at this point to change away from the AK-47 unless your coach specifically has found an issue with your equipment. The clip you posted suggests that your setup is perfectly fine for your level and you should just keep developing your technique with it.

If there's even anything you should try, it's maybe turning the racket around and seeing how you like the feel of Vega Pro on the BH. If the hardness of the Vega Pro feels better, then maybe consider getting a sheet of AK-47 Yellow or Red instead of Blue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
I'd just stick with the AK-47 on the BH. Unless you're getting the Joola Micron for free, there's no reason at this point to change away from the AK-47 unless your coach specifically has found an issue with your equipment. The clip you posted suggests that your setup is perfectly fine for your level and you should just keep developing your technique with it.

If there's even anything you should try, it's maybe turning the racket around and seeing how you like the feel of Vega Pro on the BH. If the hardness of the Vega Pro feels better, then maybe consider getting a sheet of AK-47 Yellow or Red instead of Blue.
thanks, i will try to use the vega pro on the BH.

Also, to answer your question directly, yes you can use 2.2mm sponge as a beginner. In fact, your AK-47 Blue is 2.2mm or close to it, so you've been using it all this time already.
I would say, 2.2 is too much for a beginner. With your strokes, a 2.0 wouldn’t „bottom out“ but give more control and feeling.

Reactions: pedro.dantas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
2.2 is fine, the worst thing you can do at your stage is to stress out about equipment. Use anything sensible and it's fine, just focus on practice. Equipment is something you worry about after you've gotten the basics down and you're looking to establish a style, then you'd want something that suits your style of play.