Equipment Help

This user has no status.
Hello,

I currently play a Yakuza Ma Lin Off+ with Tiber Evolution FXS on the backhand and Sonic Bluestorm on the forehand. I'm looking to change equipment and here is what Im looking for:

1 - More feel and vibration especially on the short touches
2 - a higher arc the forehand loops

Optional
3 - More speed

I am a pretty new player (2-3 years) and my play style is counter-looping and powerful attacks. I tend to serve short with backspin and play the rally a medium distance from the table, 2-3m. I don't struggle too much with speed but more speed is always welcomed. I really want to build feel and get feedback through vibrations. Sometimes with this blade I feel like I need to hit it flat to be consistent especially on the backhand. I prefer to feel like I am lifting the ball more.

Please let me know if you want any more information.

Preferably would not like to spend much.

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Damn, didn't know the Yakuza also makes TT blades. How do they compare with their samurai blades? :ROFLMAO:

Whats a Ma Lin Off+ anyway? Is that the Ma Lin extra offensive or the Ma Lin carbon?

This user has no status.
Hmm, I've used a good number of blades, including the YEO, but I can't think one that satisfies all your requirements. Most of the blades I've tried that have more feeling and arc than the YEO are a good bit slower.

Do you think I could use a slower blade and use faster rubbers to make up speed?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Do you think I could use a slower blade and use faster rubbers to make up speed?
I think blades are pretty personal, you really gotta try it out. I do subscribe to the idea of finding your blade first, then find the rubber for it. You can try something with excellent feel and good arc like say the Yasaka Sweden Extra. It's a pretty classic blade, not as slow as say a Stiga OC, definitely has a lot more feeling than the YEO.

Some people don't like vibrations, I love them. I tried moving from the YSE to the YEO, tried it a couple sessions and really didn't like it. Eventually I upgraded the the HL5 then the W968, both of which have exceptional feel and arc for carbon blades. Carbon blades won't ever have the vibrations of an all wood blade though, especially not for soft touch.

This user has no status.
I think blades are pretty personal, you really gotta try it out. I do subscribe to the idea of finding your blade first, then find the rubber for it. You can try something with excellent feel and good arc like say the Yasaka Sweden Extra. It's a pretty classic blade, not as slow as say a Stiga OC, definitely has a lot more feeling than the YEO.

Some people don't like vibrations, I love them. I tried moving from the YSE to the YEO, tried it a couple sessions and really didn't like it. Eventually I upgraded the the HL5 then the W968, both of which have exceptional feel and arc for carbon blades. Carbon blades won't ever have the vibrations of an all wood blade though, especially not for soft touch.
Thank you so much for this response it’s defiantly helpful. Unfortunately, I don’t know of any place where I can try equipment nearby. About a year ago I tried someone’s some of my friends equipment that had high vibrations. I liked the feel but lost the blade name. The W968 is a bit out of my price range. What rubbers do you pair with the HL5?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Thank you so much for this response it’s defiantly helpful. Unfortunately, I don’t know of any place where I can try equipment nearby. About a year ago I tried someone’s some of my friends equipment that had high vibrations. I liked the feel but lost the blade name. The W968 is a bit out of my price range. What rubbers do you pair with the HL5?
I used D09c, replicated the boosted H3 experience the best, without needing to boost. I tried T05, T05-Fx, D05, H8-80, T64-fx, and I found the D09C the best. H8-80 was solid too, not as fast though and I'm concerned about DHS's quality control with their cheaper stuff as some people have reported drastically different weights and hardness with what should be the same sheet of H8-80. I didn't try the euro rubbers as they're often pre-boosted and lose their effects fairly quickly. I felt that even though the D09C costs more up front if it lasts longer then it might even cost less over the long term.