Haven't tested this one yet...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
Put this one together over the last few days. 5 ply (Kiri core, Spruce medial, and Limba outer). Bubinga wood handle. I wanted to make something substantial and it comes it at 99g. I suspect it'll be quite fast for an all-wood construction.

Attachments

• IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 96
This user has no status.
Put this one together over the last few days. 5 ply (Kiri core, Spruce medial, and Limba outer). Bubinga wood handle. I wanted to make something substantial and it comes it at 99g. I suspect it'll be quite fast for an all-wood construction.
Damn that is a sexy outer ply. So hard to get Limba here in Australia -- that sandwich recipe should work well for you too. Well done, great job! 👍

Reactions: ViperTableTennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Ps. Anyone know what happened to SDC? Is he just grinding out or has he taken a break?
Someone asked that very same question on a german forum, too. People who ordered blades had been in contact with him. It appears that he is absolutely loaded with work. Good for him, actually. He will post again as soon as he has more time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Visually it is a very appealing blade. The top ply is surely a joint one comprising of black limba and regular limba. Did you do the joint yourself or can you actually order a pre-assembled joint block of that kind?

Reactions: ViperTableTennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I did something similar, but with 93g carbon near the abachi core. Spruce is great!
Its 85g, but core is thinner with 2,2mm.
Should be all+ speed.

View attachment 29304
Very nice indeed.
I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into blades like this (or Vipers one for that matter). They are (oftentimes) more like pieces of art - rather than a piece of sport equipment - that belong in an art gallery next to paintings of Dali and Picasso...:)

Reactions: PaddyPolar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
Visually it is a very appealing blade. The top ply is surely a joint one comprising of black limba and regular limba. Did you do the joint yourself or can you actually order a pre-assembled joint block of that kind?

No, its not a jointed top ply. It's just the colour variation in the wood

Reactions: Wakkibatty
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
Yes thats true! In Germany we say "Kleinod".

I like yours, Viper- especially the handle and the jointed top ply!

Sorry for capturing your thread, but the composition is so close that I couldnt resist to post mine ^^

It's not a jointed top ply; just the natural colour variation in the limba.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
No, its not a jointed top ply. It's just the colour variation in the wood
Really? That's pretty amazing. Because just as SlowPower mentioned
thats extreme sharp seperation.
the colour seperation does look very sharp, kind of artificial. But I do believe you if you say that it's not jointed.
Happy "accident" by nature I guess.

This user has no status.
Really? That's pretty amazing. Because just as SlowPower mentioned

the colour seperation does look very sharp, kind of artificial. But I do believe you if you say that it's not jointed.
Happy "accident" by nature I guess.
Oh that colouring is definitely natural 🙂 There's quite a few woods out there like Limba that can have large or sudden variations of colour to them. (Though that is a particularly rare and stunning piece of black limba I grant you 😂)

In the case of Limba (as I understand it), the darker figuring in the grain is a natural feature of the growing wood and iis derived from a combination of the tree's genes and growing conditions. With other woods, the colour shifts are a result of fungal staining that occurs either while the tree is growing (eg: Blackheart Sassafras) or after it has been cut down (eg: spalted birch, tiger myrtle).

Last edited:
Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
@ viper

I am wondering how much the handle weights- is it massive? Than it could come in at 40g or more and the 99g of the blade doesnt play as fast as one might think.
I didn't weigh the handle separately, but its solid with no hollowing out so will be heavy as far as handles go.