Hello from Pisa

This user has no status.
Hello everyone,
I started to play TT in 2014, I played for 2 years as a self-learner with a colleague in Dublin (Ireland). I hated the game before this colleague of mine taught the basic to me. Since then I went completely nuts for the game. When I moved to Switzerland I couldn't practice anymore because I had no clubs in my town. Now I'm back to Italy, my home country and I take lessons in a local club. My shots are still wonky, but hey! I'm in Pisa they're not the only wonky thing in town.

Have fun!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
first of all nice to see you moving around from Ireland to Switzerland and then Italy. I love to travel. 2nd thing is Yasaka Sweden Extra, really a lovely blade, all-round with tremendous control.

Actually table tennis is a bit de moralizing game for a beginner. With the help of a right coach, a senior when you learn a bit then it becomes passion to improve. Right equipment at every stage / level is also vital.

Reactions: Trevize84
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
first of all nice to see you moving around from Ireland to Switzerland and then Italy. I love to travel. 2nd thing is Yasaka Sweden Extra, really a lovely blade, all-round with tremendous control.

Actually table tennis is a bit de moralizing game for a beginner. With the help of a right coach, a senior when you learn a bit then it becomes passion to improve. Right equipment at every stage / level is also vital.
Table tennis is not more popular because the initial learning curve is high. I mean if you want to hit the ball upward with the hard bat (i.e. no sponge) and play ping pong that way, many people can still enjoy it. But once you add sponge and the spin, it does then turn off a lot of beginners, unfortunately.

This user has no status.
@JJ Ng This is the reason why I have never played tabletennis. I was saying that I hated it. Then a colleague showed me how to play and trained me for weeks. I went completely banana with this game and now I love it.

@Syed Karar Haider I'm following a group course here in Pisa. There is a trainer and because I have some decent consistency, I often end up warming up and doing drills with people who plays lower level tournaments. Actually they asked me to join the league but unfortunately I cannot play on Sundays because my son is newborn and requires care. Perhaps in few years he'll like to watch dad playing the league.

I started with a premade DHS with H3 and G888. Then to develop my strokes I moved to Bfly Primorac Off- with Yasaka Mark V 1.9mm and Bfly Driver L 1.7mm. Recently I changed those rubbers with Xiom Vega X (MAX and 2.0mm), took me quite few months to get used with the catapult. I ended up to like those rubbers but I figured out I needed more control. So I bought Yasaka Sweden Extra with soft rubbers Xiom Vega Europe 2.0mm and Tibhar Evolution FX-S 1.9mm. The former is a piece of cake, the latter is garbage. I also got as a gift a Victas Euro Feeling Off- (clone of Nittaku Violin) with Andro Rasanter R42 2.0mm and Gewo Hype EL Pro 40 2.1mm. I love this even more than my YSE setup.

Reactions: Syed Karar Haider
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
@JJ Ng This is the reason why I have never played tabletennis. I was saying that I hated it. Then a colleague showed me how to play and trained me for weeks. I went completely banana with this game and now I love it.

@Syed Karar Haider I'm following a group course here in Pisa. There is a trainer and because I have some decent consistency, I often end up warming up and doing drills with people who plays lower level tournaments. Actually they asked me to join the league but unfortunately I cannot play on Sundays because my son is newborn and requires care. Perhaps in few years he'll like to watch dad playing the league.

I started with a premade DHS with H3 and G888. Then to develop my strokes I moved to Bfly Primorac Off- with Yasaka Mark V 1.9mm and Bfly Driver L 1.7mm. Recently I changed those rubbers with Xiom Vega X (MAX and 2.0mm), took me quite few months to get used with the catapult. I ended up to like those rubbers but I figured out I needed more control. So I bought Yasaka Sweden Extra with soft rubbers Xiom Vega Europe 2.0mm and Tibhar Evolution FX-S 1.9mm. The former is a piece of cake, the latter is garbage. I also got as a gift a Victas Euro Feeling Off- (clone of Nittaku Violin) with Andro Rasanter R42 2.0mm and Gewo Hype EL Pro 40 2.1mm. I love this even more than my YSE setup.
One of my club mate used to play tennis (and coaches other kids tennis during summer camp). Then when he turned 20, he was shown to do topsin and loops in table tennis. Immediately he was hooked!!!! coming from the tennis background he progressed very quickly but he also played 5-6 days a week and know that, with those loop shots, table tennis is very different than tennis! Once you learn about the spin (and the sponge), it is
exhilarating!

Too bad not more advanced or intermediate players show the beginners the rope. But that's in every sport anyway. Sometimes it is better to pay up for a coach to get things started.

I see that you are already trying quite a few sets of rubber and blades! Welcome to the EJ (equipment junkie) club. It is very addictive :) :)

Honestly, when I was at the lower level, I really could care about the equipment because I just could not tell. But now that I am playing five days a week and have money to try different equipments, I am starting to know what I like. I am still in the progress of narrowing it down but I am getting close. Haha! :)

Reactions: Syed Karar Haider
This user has no status.
@JJ Ng I'm an engineer, materials and mechanics are appealing topics to me. Although I don't like rubber manufacturing too much, blade manufacturing is much more interesting. That's why I got into Yasaka Sweden Extra and Victas Euro Feeling, they use uncommon veeners. I sold the Primorac (not made in Japan) because old with dents and also limba outter ply is so boring. The sound of a Yasaka Sweden Extra is a symphony in comparison! But yes I tend to be an EJ type of guy :D

Reactions: JJ Ng