How do you know if your Yinhe Mercury 2 (or II) has 2.0mm sponge or 2.2mm sponge?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
So I just received a shipment from NewNew store via Aliexpress that states "supposedly" the Mercury 2 (or Mercury II) I ordered is 2.2mm in sponge thickness. The problem is, I fipped the package upside down and inside out, and I still could not tell!

I have Mercury 2.0mm sponge thickness from BEO store before. I specifically only shopped with NewNew store for this patch becaues it is "supposedly" 2.2mm. And the only reason I care is, Mercury is the only rubber that comes close to hurricane in terms of tackiness. I have tried Sanwei Target National, Big Dipper, Friendship 729fx, Gambler tacky rubber, etc. They are not as tacky. The only othe rubber that is just as tacky as Hurricane, in my possession, is DHS G888 (obviously made by the same company as hurricane).

I can read Chinese so I have looked at the packaging front and back. Nothing. I opened the package and on the sponge, there is no info either. (Not nothing nothing, but a bunch of number that does not make sense and it has M (and beside it, there is a Chinese character for middle) for medium sponge and it has S (and beside it, there is a Chinese character for soft) on the sponge.

I just so happened in the process of preparing a sheet of Yinhe Big Dipper 37 degree to put on a Tibhar carbon blade and a sheet of Yinhe AK47 blue on the other side of that same blade. On those two sheets, the sponge clearly printed in Chinese, thickness 2.2mm.

So I am totally confused. Can anyone please let me know how I could tell?

I think the answer is, "we don't know." The whole chinese rubber packaging and info put on the sponge totally do not make sense.

I think the only way I can tell is, put a Mercury 2.0mm sponge from BEO store and Mercury 2.2mm sponge from NewNew store on a single blade (and make sure they are both the same color), then once I hit with it, I should be able to tell.....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
I'm getting 2 from temu. They don't info the thickness also, but I don't really care.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230729_004254_Temu.jpg
    Screenshot_20230729_004254_Temu.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Whoa i just noticed mercury 2 is under $2

Ive never had interest in this rubber before, but is it even good at all?
For $2, I don't think it matters.

On a more serious note, I put Mercury II 2.0mm on my blades (the batch from BEO store for about $5.50 each) and I was pleasantly surprised. Could it be bouncier? Sure. Is it spinny? Yes as spinny as Hurricane 3.

Now that's why I have been looking for 2.2mm sponge Mercury II for a while and I paid a whopping $11 per sheet just to get 2.2mm sponge.

I have EJ'ed so much that I have spare blades that I need to put rubbers on them. I love my C-1 and Rakza 7 soft but I am not about to put those expensive rubbers on literally 30 spare blades. In fact, even at $18 a sheet, I am not putting hurricane on them either. That's a LOT of blades.

Let us talk about cheap rubbers for now: Friendship 729 fx, Friendship LKT Rapid Soft, various Gambler rubbers for $15 each, Loki Rxton 1 and 3, etc., I am most impressed by Mercury II so far for forehand and Sanwei T88 ultraspin (that one is $8) for backhand. On a fast carbon blade, I can see myself playing seriously with that set up. In other words, I won't play in tournaments with that set-up but if some lower rated players want to challenge me in the club, I would not mind playing with that set-up (and I don't like to lose in general).

Then if we want to talk about maybe one more grade up, I like Neottec Katana, Hinomi-M and Hinomi-S. They are about $12-$15 after 30% bulk discount. I have an old ALC Gambler blade with Katana on the forehand side I use to feed my kids multiball. That blade and that rubber together have quite a bit of impressive bounce!

So for beginnger, I would tell them to skip Friendship, DHS, Sriver or Mark V completely. I would tell them either go for Chinese rubbers (Mercury II and T88 Ultraspin) or Japanse Neottec rubbers. Great set up. Great value.

Then when they are ready for tensor, I would probably recommend Xiom Vega Europe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Ok I gave up. I put two sheets from NewNew store 2.2mm on my scale. One read 62.5 grams and other one read 63.5 grams. I am like, ok ok.

The I put two sheets from BEO store 2.0mm on my scale. One read 70 grams and the other read 65 grams!

I give up.

I guess for $6 to $11 a sheet, I cannot complain. Just as long as it is tacky tacky (like hurricane), I don't care anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Ok I gave up. I put two sheets from NewNew store 2.2mm on my scale. One read 62.5 grams and other one read 63.5 grams. I am like, ok ok.

The I put two sheets from BEO store 2.0mm on my scale. One read 70 grams and the other read 65 grams!

I give up.

I guess for $6 to $11 a sheet, I cannot complain. Just as long as it is tacky tacky (like hurricane), I don't care anymore.

I've bought 6 sheets. 3 were 65g and 3 were 60g.

My heavier sheets of mercury 2 have been faster and spinner than the lighter ones. I've assumed this was due to sponge thickness but I guess maybe it was just variations in the batch.

Either way, pay attention to how the lighter ones play versus the heavier ones. I suspect with M2 the heavier the better.

Reactions: JJ Ng and ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023

My heavier sheets of mercury 2 have been faster and spinner than the lighter ones. I've assumed this was due to sponge thickness but I guess maybe it was just variations in the batch.

Either way, pay attention to how the lighter ones play versus the heavier ones. I suspect with M2 the heavier the better.
So they just shipped random weights out? Ali they have them like .99 per sheet now. I'm thinking order some more of them, this one after boost is very good. But not last long as H3. But who cares only 0.99 per sheet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

I will weigh them before I put one black sheet on the forehand (heavier) and put one red sheet on the backhand (ligher), and just let me see how it goes!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
So they just shipped random weights out? Ali they have them like .99 per sheet now. I'm thinking order some more of them, this one after boost is very good. But not last long as H3. But who cares only 0.99 per sheet.
I think the special is from GHSport and you are only allowed to buy one sheet at 0.99?

Normally it is $5 but when taken into import tax and some fees, it is about $6 a sheet.

I am glad you have tried it more extensively and it does not last as long as H3. I really think that if boosted and if enough weight/sponge thickness, it will be very good. i will find out in a few weeks after I digest my current set of rubbers and blades.

Even at $6 a sheet, yeah, who cares? Hurricane is like $20 a sheet....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
I think the special is from GHSport and you are only allowed to buy one sheet at 0.99?

Normally it is $5 but when taken into import tax and some fees, it is about $6 a sheet.

I am glad you have tried it more extensively and it does not last as long as H3. I really think that if boosted and if enough weight/sponge thickness, it will be very good. i will find out in a few weeks after I digest my current set of rubbers and blades.

Even at $6 a sheet, yeah, who cares? Hurricane is like $20 a sheet....
Nah, these are for club mates, I played these maybe 10mins? On a vis, but don't really like them, too soft for me.

Reactions: JJ Ng